Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifting issue…

ErikFrigon

Reaction score
I ordered a power wagon level two back in December. Had it in about three months exactly. Love the truck! It’s my second power wagon. I’ve noticed an issue downshifting into fourth when you slow to a stop. It’s a pretty hard downshift that I don’t recall having in my last one. I have about 1000 miles now. Does anyone else have this experience?

Thisisthe-wagon

Reaction score
Not fourth for me but when I decelerate a bit harder then usual I get a small but noticeable pop as it downshifts to 1st just before coming to a stop. Was going to have them check Trans fluid level as I have seen that as a cause of odd shifting before but not sure. Let us know if you get it resolved.

thkbaron

Reaction score

no solution that I've seen. I think mine is getting better but I'm not sure. That or I've learned to drive and not make it happen.

JamesEvan

Reaction score

no solution that I've seen. I think mine is getting better but I'm not sure. That or I've learned to drive and not make it happen.
2nd - 1st braking here. Dealer initially believed it was due to my tire upgrade/speedo recal need, but that was resolved and the issue remained. Next thought was a trans re-learn, but unknown if this is the fix as it hasn't been done on mine yet and I have learned how to brake to usually avoid the clunk.

Thisisthe-wagon

Reaction score
Ya mine was present before and after I put 315s on. Do need to do the speedometer recalibration. Wish tazer would get it sorted for the 2022.

thkbaron

Reaction score
yeah my clunking remains after I changed the computer for the right tire size.

Dingo

Reaction score
Got my PW a couple weeks ago. Only about 500 miles on it. Just before coming to a stop, probably 10% of the time, the truck lurches forward. Feels almost like someone just tapped you from behind. I'm guessing this is the transmission downshifting. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence - both for driving and longevity. Hopefully it sorts itself out with a few more miles on it.

And dont get me started about the engine noise - ticking, squealing etc. You dont hear it inside the truck, but it's embarrassing when you start your new $70k truck and it sounds like something from the back of the used car lot.

Sherwin2004

Reaction score
Same issue with the awkward downshifting. It's especially noticeable coming to a gentle halt behind someone who is about to make a turn. Generally, I get the lurching downshift at about 15 mph or so. I had a 2015 2500 Big Horn and I ended up needing a new transmission at 98,000. And the engine upper half had to get the lifters, etc. rebuilt as well. I'm not sure if I am a glutton for punishment, but I won't wait long this time if I even suspect some mortal failure.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Yeah I just hope someone finds a solution. There was an almost identical issue with Durango’s as well. My wife’s 2015 did the same thing. It was programming.

Users who are viewing this thread