Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shifter lever was loose reverse is reverse natural is reverse

katypetree

Reaction score
I tightened the shifter then I got in neutral (vehicle is not in park) then when I went to drive it said the same vehicle is not in park. I finally got it to go forward in drive if Rpms was up but would just crawl. After that now it will not go backwards in reverse. Is it my transmission or my shifting cable loose, or the wires might have gotten moisture in them? Any help would be appreciated. IT IS HARD TO EXPLAIN SO PLEASE ASK ME QUESTIONS.

steve49

Reaction score
If it's just the shift lever itself, pull the rubber boot out and slide uo the handle, there is a bolt that tightens the handle in the correct position. If it is loose back out some and add a little blue loctite, otherwise if not the bolt I don't know.

katypetree

Reaction score
If it's just the shift lever itself, pull the rubber boot out and slide uo the handle, there is a bolt that tightens the handle in the correct position. If it is loose back out some and add a little blue loctite, otherwise if not the bolt I don't know.
I got that tightened up. But after I did I don't have the reverse like I did before but can go in drive but have to get Rpms up to get it to move forward

Dan Carey

Reaction score
You might check to see if the splined shaft is in the right place when you tightened the locking "pinch bolt"

steve49

Reaction score
You've been dealing with this for a month and can't figure it out, take it to a dealer and get it fixed!

katypetree

Reaction score
You've been dealing with this for a month and can't figure it out, take it to a dealer and get it fixed!
Actually it is at a dealership but it is a Ford one so it is just sitting on there lot and they mess with it when they have free time

Dan Carey

Reaction score
We don't have enough information to accurately diagnose the problem.
Did this Ram slowly develop this problem?
Was the shifter able to move and not change the gear the transmission was in before you tightened it?
How many miles are on the Ram?
Are you able to do your own work on the Ram, like change the oil?
Can you drive this Ram in the condition its in now?
This is a Ram 2500 right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread