Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service Dept Backed-up for 5 days?!

Texasram1

Reaction score
I made an appt for my truck over the weekend, by calling the local dealership and speaking to an actual person. Two issues to look at, appt was 0715 on Monday 01 AUG.

I hate using this dealership as they pulled some shady sh*t when I was truck shopping, but it is the only one close. Anyway, I show up today at 0714 and they begin the check-in process. Confirmed the two issues I was there for, and then said I’d have to leave the truck for 4 to 5 days because they were backed-up. Why the hell wouldnt they mention this when I made the appt., especially when they dont offer loaner vehicles?

And what’s up with a 5 day backlog? Cant hire techs?

Anyone else have similar isssues in DFW or elsewhere?

MtnRider

Reaction score
You are lucky it's only 5 days....

Just to catch you up, the world has been in a pandemic for the past ~2 years, parts are hard to get (and expensive), people don't want to work any more, customer service is a thing of the past, you get the picture..

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Should be a ton of dealerships in the DFW area. Just have to call around and see who can actually do the work in a timely manner.

Texasram1

Reaction score

Just to catch you up, the world has been in a pandemic for the past ~2 years, parts are hard to get (and expensive), people don't want to work any more, customer service is a thing of the past, you get the picture..

A scamdemic is more like it, but suit yourself.

MtnRider

Reaction score
A scamdemic is more like it, but suit yourself.

Didn't say I agreed with it, Just pointing out the obvious as it has been posted many times. People are waiting much longer then 5 days all over the country.

/

Texasram1

Reaction score
Didn't say I agreed with it but you do you. Just pointing out the obvious as it has been posted many times. People are waiting much longer then 5 days all over the country.

/
If they are backlogged, so be it. But how can they not advise that upfront? It cant be show up and then, “surprise! You wont have a vehicle for 5 days.”

MtnRider

Reaction score
If they are backlogged, so be it. But how can they not advise that upfront? It cant be show up and then, “surprise! You wont have a vehicle for 5 days.”

I agree with that, they should be upfront before you show up, I'd be pissed about that. I'm hearing horror stories like this on all the forums though. Seems to be the unfortunate, new normal. Customer service doesn't exist any more it seems.

Texasram1

Reaction score
Just called another dealer that is about 30min away. They would have gotten me in tomorrow, but cant promise me a loaner until next week. So I have a new appt scheduled with them, with a loaner. As it should be.

Bombaman

Reaction score
My preferred dealer is a locally family owned one, but they are the same, 2021 onwards backlog for anything that requires diagnostics.

As much as I hate it, for most things its been better going to a large franchise dealer (Autonation *shudders*) to get things done quicker.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the point here is that if you make an appointment, it should at least be close to when they will get your truck in.

Why can't the dealer just make the appointment for 4-5 days out then? Because they're stuffing the queue for max profit is what they're doing. Just like the airlines overselling seats on flights. Then when everyone that bought a seat shows up, the low man on the pole gets bumped.

Bombaman

Reaction score
Whilst I agree, shortage of good techs mean they need to stack a few jobs (maybe 2 days) for those more complex issues, so there is little downtime if an issue is smaller than originally thought.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I made an appt for this morning at 10am with a local dealer to get the Z47 TSB software upgrade. I received three text messages and two emails over the two weeks reminding me of my 10am appt for today. I made the appt over the phone with a real person who said, "the Z47 update is a no-brainer. Expect about 1 hr for the software update. Will you be hanging around?" "Since it's only going to be 1 hr I'll hang around" I replied.

So I bring in the truck this morning a few minutes before 10am and the service person checks it in and says, "we'll have it back to you in 2-3 hrs." I said, "what!? I was told 1 hr and that's why I'm sticking around. If I was originally told it could be up to 3 hrs I would have made other arrangements." Then the service manager, actually a really nice guy, tried to tell me that the folks making appts don't really know how long it will take. "Some software updates are quick, others not so." Yeh, OK. The guy making the appt said, "the Z47 update is a no-brainer. Expect about 1 hr for the software update." He seemed to imply he knew something. Anyway....

In the end it took them about 1 1/2hrs to get my truck back to me. I don't care about how long it takes. What I do care about is being told upfront an approximate time frame. Every mechanic shop I know for the past decades has manuals that tell them how long a particular procedure takes and from that they can give a cost estimate. It's just irksome, and a sign of one more degradation of over-all service, that a dealer's service dept can't be more upfront with customers.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

People don't want to work for ****ty companies that offer ****ty wages... so they walk and find a new job.
Having to deal with ****ty customers, you get ****ty customer service.

Will_T

Reaction score
I hate using this dealership as they pulled some shady sh*t when I was truck shopping, but it is the only one close. Anyway, I show up today at 0714 and they begin the check-in process. Confirmed the two issues I was there for, and then said I’d have to leave the truck for 4 to 5 days because they were backed-up. Why the hell wouldnt they mention this when I made the appt., especially when they dont offer loaner vehicles?
Our only dealership is backed up 2 to 3 months! But at least they tell you that up front and schedule you for that wait. I asked what if it was an issue where you could not drive the truck? They told me that it depends on what it is but they do try to get to those within a week or two.

And what’s up with a 5 day backlog? Cant hire techs?
Yes, exactly. I talked to the Service Manager at our local dealer. He is authorized for 25 techs and currently has 14. Can not even get anyone to apply. And the pay is good while in training and then over six figures once trained. Still nobody interested!!!

Oneday997

Reaction score
Seems like all the dealerships around us are scheduling at least a month out just for simple stuff like fuel filters and oil changes. On somewhat of a tangent,I love my trucks ('21 3500 HO DRW Longhorn and '22 2500 Limited) but the overall dealership and service experience leaves a lot to be desired. I'm sure it sounds nuts to many, but these are close to $100K vehicles. I've owned 3 Porsches and various other German brands (always had an HD truck around for farm/horse work) before ditching those to drive the 2500 daily, and as crazy as it sounds, when you're spending that much money on a truck, you are getting cross shoppers from those brands. I don't think the Ford or GM experience is any better, but it's an opportunity for Ram to further differentiate themselves by providing the dealer and service experience that matches what you'd get at most other brand dealerships when dropping $90K+ on a vehicle. First world problems though I know!

tchur1

Reaction score
Seems like all the dealerships around us are scheduling at least a month out just for simple stuff like fuel filters and oil changes. On somewhat of a tangent,I love my trucks ('21 3500 HO DRW Longhorn and '22 2500 Limited) but the overall dealership and service experience leaves a lot to be desired. I'm sure it sounds nuts to many, but these are close to $100K vehicles. I've owned 3 Porsches and various other German brands (always had an HD truck around for farm/horse work) before ditching those to drive the 2500 daily, and as crazy as it sounds, when you're spending that much money on a truck, you are getting cross shoppers from those brands. I don't think the Ford or GM experience is any better, but it's an opportunity for Ram to further differentiate themselves by providing the dealer and service experience that matches what you'd get at most other brand dealerships when dropping $90K+ on a vehicle. First world problems though I know!
I 100% agree here. On a side note, why does everyone seem to have basic service done through dealers and not third party auto shops? I have a mechanic Ive been using for 25+ years and tons of experience working on Cummins engines, whats the downside to having him do maintenance?

I understand warranty and recalls but Im just talking routine maintenance.

JimKIII

Reaction score
I 100% agree here. On a side note, why does everyone seem to have basic service done through dealers and not third party auto shops? I have a mechanic Ive been using for 25+ years and tons of experience working on Cummins engines, whats the downside to having him do maintenance?

Once my warranty is over I'll definitely be using other mechanic shops for repairs and any service I can't do.

Thisnthat

Reaction score

Once my warranty is over I'll definitely be using other mechanic shops for repairs and any service I can't do.

ditto - cost is negligible on the oil change between the dealer and a local shop...sometimes cheaper...

I'll do the fuel filter changes myself...paid almost $400 once at the dealer. once.

Users who are viewing this thread