Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service DEF see dealer message

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What are you guys using to read the codes? My early 2004 (just traded in 2 days ago) never had any problems, other than 2 low pressure fuel pump replacements. Not bad for for 203,000 miles. Anyway, when the fuel pumps would fail, I would read the code on the dash using key on/off routine. I figure with my 2021, I should invest in a code reader.

I've seen the AlphaOBD mentioned quite a bit, but don't know anything about it. Recommendations would be appreciated.
The cheapest one you can buy works fine mine was 30$ bought it years ago

foneguy

Reaction score
odd my 19 just shot the code to me.....F*&% that! i have 29K miles on it, sending to the dealer for the warrenty work! this can give an old guy a heart attack!

DooRam

Reaction score
Today my 2020 3500 threw a Check DEF system see dealer……. Then I got a count down from 150 to 5mph LIMP and honestly pulled into the dealer at 152 miles still running fine. I then got a message stating 5mph at next fill up, long idle, or restart. I figured I’d test it and filled up across the street and it went right into LIMP. I did put 5 gal of off road fuel in by mistake the other day, I then drove it down to 3/4 tank and kept topping off with on road fuel 4 times to the tune of about 20 fresh gallons. So rule of thumb if you need to drive fill up before the count down is up, and you can run the full tank off before your out of luck!! I’ll follow up with the resolution and still to date no CEL, just a message on the dash.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Today my 2020 3500 threw a Check DEF system see dealer……. Then I got a count down from 150 to 5mph LIMP and honestly pulled into the dealer at 152 miles still running fine. I then got a message stating 5mph at next fill up, long idle, or restart. I figured I’d test it and filled up across the street and it went right into LIMP. I did put 5 gal of off road fuel in by mistake the other day, I then drove it down to 3/4 tank and kept topping off with on road fuel 4 times to the tune of about 20 fresh gallons. So rule of thumb if you need to drive fill up before the count down is up, and you can run the full tank off before your out of luck!! I’ll follow up with the resolution and still to date no CEL, just a message on the dash.
Most likely frozen or the pump/injector needs cleaning
I got the message again its been 2 times in less than a month first time was frozen i thawed it out dealer just had to reset the system, this time it was frozen and as it was thawing it gave an eractic level sensor code so it needs to be reset again most likely it goes in on Tuesday

DooRam

Reaction score
Well got it fixed, had a broken wire on the DEF injector. Dealer fixed it and had me out in 2hrs. Could have been worse I guess !!!

MEGA HO

Reaction score
If I relied on my truck for work, I'd be deleting this crap in a hurry.

DooRam

Reaction score
What was found was a broken wire to the DEF injector. Possibly ice/snow hanging on the wire and broke it. No way to know what happened however it’s fixed, was about a 2hr deal and Goss CJR in Burlington VT was AWESOME!

Number 7

Reaction score
All I know is when my warranty is up all that stuff is going bye-bye.
I live in Texas and I ain’t worried about the meter maid.

JohnK

Reaction score
I don't know if there was an official recall, but this is apparently a known issue. I had it last week and the dealer said it was a quick ECU flash. Told me the week before they had 20 trucks in with the same issue.

I haven't had a problem since.
Dealer told me the same thing, a definite issue, but no recall as of yet.
The dealer can't get the error code to clear on mine and they replace the DEF pump.

Paul Rae

Reaction score
I had the 5 mph de_rate happen om my 2016 Ram 2500 HD after I did a refuel and waited idling for my wife to return from a bathroom trip. In a panic I did a quick search using my cellphone and I found a way to get going without a reset tool and it worked for me, you do the following procedure: With the ignition off, turn on and hold on the right turn signal, then place your ignition switch in the accessory position while still holding your right turn signal on. On my vehicle the dash lit up as normal, then it went blank and dark, then it came back as normal. Apparently this resets the speed limitation and lets you drive again as normal. Your message will still display and the de_rate will probably happen again, but this procedure let me drive the reset of my trip (about 400 miles) as normal with the warning message display starting all over again. The Dodge site I visited said that my model and year truck would not do this speed reduction but would show the message only, so much for that statement. Hope this helps someone get out of a jam, but be sure to get the issue that caused it fixed as damage may occur, I have not seen any damage but what do I know compared to the dealer.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I had the 5 mph de_rate happen om my 2016 Ram 2500 HD after I did a refuel and waited idling for my wife to return from a bathroom trip. In a panic I did a quick search using my cellphone and I found a way to get going without a reset tool and it worked for me, you do the following procedure: With the ignition off, turn on and hold on the right turn signal, then place your ignition switch in the accessory position while still holding your right turn signal on. On my vehicle the dash lit up as normal, then it went blank and dark, then it came back as normal. Apparently this resets the speed limitation and lets you drive again as normal. Your message will still display and the de_rate will probably happen again, but this procedure let me drive the reset of my trip (about 400 miles) as normal with the warning message display starting all over again. The Dodge site I visited said that my model and year truck would not do this speed reduction but would show the message only, so much for that statement. Hope this helps someone get out of a jam, but be sure to get the issue that caused it fixed as damage may occur, I have not seen any damage but what do I know compared to the dealer.
That cant be done on the 19+

Users who are viewing this thread