Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service DEF see dealer message

Justin1

Reaction score
Anything I can try at home?

I got the message yesterday driving, it went away but comes on when I start my 2020 with 3000 km...
The gauge was showing 1/2 full, I filled it up and the gauge didn’t move

Cpsram21

Reaction score

I got the message yesterday driving, it went away but comes on when I start my 2020 with 3000 km...
When my sons 2019 did that he had to unhook the batteries for ten minutes and reconnect them , after that everything reset .

Justin1

Reaction score
I disconnected the batteries all night with the truck in a heated shop and still got the message this am.

I now have a countdown to limp mode on the screen...

Cpsram21

Reaction score
I disconnected the batteries all night with the truck in a heated shop and still got the message this am.

I now have a countdown to limp mode on the screen...
Sounds like you have a lot more serious problem than my son did , only difference was he actually touched the positive and negative cables together after unhooking both batteries and isolating them by laying a towel over the batteries so no cables could touch the batteries. He said doing that totally powers down the computers and restarts them when hooked back up. Probably won't work for you but it fixed his. By the way he was already in limp mode when he did that and couldn't stay on the freeway going 5 mph any longer . Sounds like it's time to make a trip to your dealer.

SFC

Reaction score

I don't know if there was an official recall, but this is apparently a known issue. I had it last week and the dealer said it was a quick ECU flash. Told me the week before they had 20 trucks in with the same issue.

I haven't had a problem since.

noizy21

Reaction score
I just had the issue with a little over 1,200 miles on truck on my first road trip. Went to the closest dealer on the route and they told me the DEF pump/module in the tank wasn't sensing there was any fluid and they didn't have the part to replace it till the following week. It was pretty much going to strand us in the middle of Georgia over the weekend. The guage on the dash was a little over 1/4 so I filled it up and went for a drive and it went away after about 40 miles. I just made sure it was over 1/2 for the rest of the trip and now that I'm home, my local dealer is going to look into it and replace the module.

SFC

Reaction score
I just had the issue with a little over 1,200 miles on truck on my first road trip. Went to the closest dealer on the route and they told me the DEF pump/module in the tank wasn't sensing there was any fluid and they didn't have the part to replace it till the following week. It was pretty much going to strand us in the middle of Georgia over the weekend. The guage on the dash was a little over 1/4 so I filled it up and went for a drive and it went away after about 40 miles. I just made sure it was over 1/2 for the rest of the trip and now that I'm home, my local dealer is going to look into it and replace the module.

You should probably ask them to apply the latest ECU update before they rip your truck apart. I just went and pulled the info off my receipt.

The TSBs were:
18-010-21
18-18-04-ME

noizy21

Reaction score
You should probably ask them to apply the latest ECU update before they rip your truck apart. I just went and pulled the info off my receipt.

The TSBs were:
18-010-21
18-18-04-ME
Thank you, will do.

Justin1

Reaction score
Update

got the truck back yesterday, got a “ re flash update” and a new def sensor. Hopefully everything will be good now.

thanks

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I just got this wonderful message on my way home im gonna try pulling the battery cables and discharging the capacitors( touching the pos and neg together) we shall see i know about a weekago i got a CEL for DEF module unable to communicate but i cleared them and it didnt reappear

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a lot more serious problem than my son did , only difference was he actually touched the positive and negative cables together after unhooking both batteries and isolating them by laying a towel over the batteries so no cables could touch the batteries. He said doing that totally powers down the computers and restarts them when hooked back up. Probably won't work for you but it fixed his. By the way he was already in limp mode when he did that and couldn't stay on the freeway going 5 mph any longer . Sounds like it's time to make a trip to your dealer.
Did he have any message saying it would go in to limp mode or just the service def system message? I got some driving to do this weekend i dont need it going in to limp mode on me lol

SFC

Reaction score
I just got this wonderful message on my way home im gonna try pulling the battery cables and discharging the capacitors( touching the pos and neg together) we shall see i know about a weekago i got a CEL for DEF module unable to communicate but i cleared them and it didnt reappear

I haven't put a ton of miles on my truck since the flash, but it hasn't come back since. I can't find any details on what the TSB changed, but given how many trucks had this happen at the same time, I have a feeling it's bad code that is triggering based on the number of hours the ECU has been powered on since manufacture date. If I'm right, you're just wasting your time with the battery stuff, it'll just keep coming right back until you get the flash.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I haven't put a ton of miles on my truck since the flash, but it hasn't come back since. I can't find any details on what the TSB changed, but given how many trucks had this happen at the same time, I have a feeling it's bad code that is triggering based on the number of hours the ECU has been powered on since manufacture date. If I'm right, you're just wasting your time with the battery stuff, it'll just keep coming right back until you get the flash.
The issue when it said comunication issue makes me think the module is screwed or needs a reset i have 15k miles on the truck in less than a year but i will see the dealer anyway as i need a couple tsbs one for the hvac box and the ecm reflash for engine performance as my idle is a little sporadic in the cold.

Justin1

Reaction score
Did he have any message saying it would go in to limp mode or just the service def system message? I got some driving to do this weekend i dont need it going in to limp mode on me lol
I got the countdown to limp mode after about 40km with the def message and cel on. My countdown was 180km or so

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well now the message is gone and i got the codes for communication issues i reset it for now, codes are u010E and u040F

Cpsram21

Reaction score
He said it said def low warning 50 miles or something like that and so he went to fill it up and it went into limp mode before he got there. After that he was on the freeway and couldn't go 5 mph any longer so finally stopped and unhooked the batteries touched the cables together and then rehooked everything back up and everything was fine.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
He said it said def low warning 50 miles or something like that and so he went to fill it up and it went into limp mode before he got there. After that he was on the freeway and couldn't go 5 mph any longer so finally stopped and unhooked the batteries touched the cables together and then rehooked everything back up and everything was fine.
Thx for the info my message disappeared and the CEL came back on for def module codes i cleared em again and its not on now but i have a dealer appointment on wed i hope its just a flash lol

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Had mine fixed today the CEL and service DEF system message were sporadic and only when the truck was wet turns out one of the def module wires were broken by the battery box.... only issue is when they fixed it the ripped some of my plow light harness wires out instead of unpluging the connector and they scratched the **** out of my fender from leaning on it....

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
What are you guys using to read the codes? My early 2004 (just traded in 2 days ago) never had any problems, other than 2 low pressure fuel pump replacements. Not bad for for 203,000 miles. Anyway, when the fuel pumps would fail, I would read the code on the dash using key on/off routine. I figure with my 2021, I should invest in a code reader.

I've seen the AlphaOBD mentioned quite a bit, but don't know anything about it. Recommendations would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread