Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service DEF message went away, does it have to go in?

dub96

Reaction score
Ironically, they just installed the missing DEF sensor. Am I on the clock with this thing, will the message come back? Getting tired of taking my truck in for recalls, now this!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Ironically, they just installed the missing DEF sensor. Am I on the clock with this thing, will the message come back? Getting tired of taking my truck in for recalls, now this!

The missing sensor (Y43) was for the DPF, not DEF.

dub96

Reaction score
Gotcha. Still curious about the warning message and if they will even do anything now that it went away?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't take it in if the warning went away. The computer may have not liked something about the DEF, but now it's back in tolerance.

Have you added any DEF since the warning?

dub96

Reaction score
No, was on a long trip and it just came up. Came up for about 4-5 more starts and then went away. I still have 1/2 tank.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep driving it and burn off as much as you can.

PD Luke

Reaction score
Based on my experience don't worry about it. I had that message come up. It stayed on for the next couple times I drove the truck. I scheduled my truck to have the missing sensor installed and check out this message. As luck would have it the message went away on the drive to the dealer. At check in the dealer could not find any stored codes. So it turned out to be nothing.

dub96

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm glad I canceled my appointment, they keep the rig all day to tell me nothing is wrong generally.

Reaction score
Service def see dealer cam up intermittently 3 time then a warning about derating at 5mph in 150 miles.
The derate message would flash on every 25 miles and go off. We were 260 miles from home. Called dealers within 100 miles of where we were. This was on a Friday afternoon and no dealer could look at it until Monday.
Rented a vehicle and dropped the truck off. We picked it up the next Tues.
Dealer said it threw a p203e. He said they cleared the code and it was good to go.
He told us not to worry.
We told him it's kinda hard not to freak out 260 miles from home wih a derate warning.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Service def see dealer cam up intermittently 3 time then a warning about derating at 5mph in 150 miles.
The derate message would flash on every 25 miles and go off. We were 260 miles from home. Called dealers within 100 miles of where we were. This was on a Friday afternoon and no dealer could look at it until Monday.
Dealer said it threw a p203e. He said they cleared the code and it was good to go.
He told us not to worry.
We told him it's kinda hard not to freak out 260 miles from home wih a derate warning.
If you read the manual it says the derate will happen after a restart or fueling up or extended idle once the count down hits 0 it will not just drop to 5 miles an hour

flan

Reaction score
He told us not to worry.
Could of had a little crystallization on the sensor, or borderline low DEF quality. I’d run it low til the light comes on and add some fresh stuff from Walmart or another store in your area with high turnover and continue to monitor.

Reaction score
Could of had a little crystallization on the sensor, or borderline low DEF quality. I’d run it low til the light comes on and add some fresh stuff from Walmart or another store in your area with high turnover and continue to monitor.
Thanks flan appreciate the advice.

Reaction score
If you read the manual it says the derate will happen after a restart or fueling up or extended idle once the count down hits 0 it will not just drop to 5 miles an hour
I thought that note was applicable to only the displayed warning "5mph Max Speed on Restart, Long Idle, or Refuel. Service DEF See Dealer".
I'll study it in more detail.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Reaction score
He told us not to worry.
FCA reimbursed me for half the car rental.
Better than nothing ---I guess.

Nick

Reaction score
Get a scanner . My 2014 displayed a DEF error code and started giving me a countdown warning every so often . Naturally it was Sunday and I was towing my 5 th wheel . Finally pulled over hooked up the scanner and cleared the code . It never did come back. Sometimes with this sensors you get lucky and can clear them and your good to go .

Reaction score
Get a scanner . My 2014 displayed a DEF error code and started giving me a countdown warning every so often . Naturally it was Sunday and I was towing my 5 th wheel . Finally pulled over hooked up the scanner and cleared the code . It never did come back. Sometimes with this sensors you get lucky and can clear them and your good to go .
I looked at a few of the threads and became overwhelmed with scanner information.
Any newer suggestions out there for a 2022 2500 Cummins for reading and clearing?

Users who are viewing this thread