Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Service Air Suspension

PRS

Reaction score
Got an Air suspension warning light and Service Air Suspension system cluster message. Also couldn't select any other cameras than what came up when selecting reverse. Also no guidance lines on the back-up camera. Checked the codes and had active U013200 Lost comm with ASCM, and U042100 implausible data from ASCM. Did some research and found TSB 08-175-21 addresses this issue in MY 2019-2022. On a hunch I pulled fuse F50 ASCM and re-inserted it. This cleared the light and the message, and I regained functionality of the cameras. Apparently the camera system uses output from the ASCM for configuration of the availability of some of the cameras. The codes went to "stored".
Took it to the dealer and they flashed the ASCM per the TSB.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hey PRS,

If you're in need of any assistance while your vehicle is at the dealer, please reach out to us via direct message. We'd be happy to help.

Callie
Ram Cares

PRS

Reaction score
Hey PRS,

If you're in need of any assistance while your vehicle is at the dealer, please reach out to us via direct message. We'd be happy to help.

Callie
Ram Cares
Already home. Only there half a day. ASCM TSB and a TCM TSB. All is good.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
My air system dash lite came on also, immediately took it to Dealer. They stated they performed update and all is well. Apparently there is a update for this.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You've possibly heard or seen this before, but it bears repeating - check all the fuses are seated.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Already home. Only there half a day. ASCM TSB and a TCM TSB. All is good.
Awesome. Happy to hear it! If you ever need us in the future, please reach out!

Callie
Ram Cares

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Got an Air suspension warning light and Service Air Suspension system cluster message. Also couldn't select any other cameras than what came up when selecting reverse. Also no guidance lines on the back-up camera. Checked the codes and had active U013200 Lost comm with ASCM, and U042100 implausible data from ASCM. Did some research and found TSB 08-175-21 addresses this issue in MY 2019-2022. On a hunch I pulled fuse F50 ASCM and re-inserted it. This cleared the light and the message, and I regained functionality of the cameras. Apparently the camera system uses output from the ASCM for configuration of the availability of some of the cameras. The codes went to "stored".
Took it to the dealer and they flashed the ASCM per the TSB.

Any chance you have the WiTech scan report with the firmware part #'s?

PRS

Reaction score
They changed the P/n from 68354198AL to 68354198AP for the ASCM.
The TCM went from 68475153AD to 68475153AF.

CharlieL

Reaction score
They changed the P/n from 68354198AL to 68354198AP for the ASCM.
The TCM went from 68475153AD to 68475153AF.
I also had the "Service Air Suspension" message surprise recently. This came about one week after I had returned home from a 3,200 mile round trip from Albuquerque to Portland, OR. This was the second trip with my new 5th wheel, the first being 950 miles home from where I purchased it in Clinton, MO. When the message popped up, I was worried & checked this forum. Learned from this thread about fuses 5, 50 and 87. So I pulled and reinserted all three. Message went away & I thought nothing more.

Between the time the message came on and I learned about the "fuse reset," I had called the dealer to schedule first oil/filters change & take care of the ABS Z20 Recall. During that call I mentioned the service air suspension message. That must have still been in their system as it was addressed & included in the invoice. The Tech's notes said "Found stored code for unable to reach desired height. Found a TSB to flash the ASCM so I flashed the ASCM from current part number 68354198AL to targeted part number 68354198AP. If the concern persists the customer will need to double check the trailer weight and make sure it does not exceed the load limit for the vehicle."

What is odd to me is that at no time while towing did I have any problem with the air suspension. At all times it worked properly; I tow using the Alt Height setting. At one point due to unlevel ground I had to lower the bed to hook up the 5th wheel, but after doing so had no issue raising back to Alt Height. Yes, I am under the load limit - had a CAT weigh done during the venture after filling up at a truck stop. For those who wonder - yes, I know that I am over the door sticker payload by about 200 lbs, but also 550 lbs under the 6,040 GAWR according to CAT weigh. There's plenty of discussion on this forum (and on-line) about this matter..... Not going there!

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Your good to go staying within the axle rating. But I didn't know there is an over weight condition that will set off the dash lite. However I know I'm within the weight limits.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I also had the "Service Air Suspension" message surprise recently. This came about one week after I had returned home from a 3,200 mile round trip from Albuquerque to Portland, OR. This was the second trip with my new 5th wheel, the first being 950 miles home from where I purchased it in Clinton, MO. When the message popped up, I was worried & checked this forum. Learned from this thread about fuses 5, 50 and 87. So I pulled and reinserted all three. Message went away & I thought nothing more.

Between the time the message came on and I learned about the "fuse reset," I had called the dealer to schedule first oil/filters change & take care of the ABS Z20 Recall. During that call I mentioned the service air suspension message. That must have still been in their system as it was addressed & included in the invoice. The Tech's notes said "Found stored code for unable to reach desired height. Found a TSB to flash the ASCM so I flashed the ASCM from current part number 68354198AL to targeted part number 68354198AP. If the concern persists the customer will need to double check the trailer weight and make sure it does not exceed the load limit for the vehicle."

What is odd to me is that at no time while towing did I have any problem with the air suspension. At all times it worked properly; I tow using the Alt Height setting. At one point due to unlevel ground I had to lower the bed to hook up the 5th wheel, but after doing so had no issue raising back to Alt Height. Yes, I am under the load limit - had a CAT weigh done during the venture after filling up at a truck stop. For those who wonder - yes, I know that I am over the door sticker payload by about 200 lbs, but also 550 lbs under the 6,040 GAWR according to CAT weigh. There's plenty of discussion on this forum (and on-line) about this matter..... Not going there!

Mine has spazzed out a few times with unable to reach..., but always recovered and I've never seen the service message. Usually after I unhook without shutting down and then drive it over 8MPH.

ColderWeather86

Reaction score
Palmer, Alaska. Formerly Prescott, Arizona.
I am also getting this message. It popped up just after I parked my truck in it's normal spot, but it has been raining nearly non stop for several weeks. The air suspension works still, which is odd. The pump comes on, I get the message "Normal ride height achieved", yet the "Service Air Suspension Immediately" is still there. It's going into the dealership tomorrow. I have around 7800 miles on the truck.

colodcs

Reaction score
I have a Lance camper in the truck bed, approx weight 3200 pounds, only 16,600 miles on it. I have never taken the camper off. Two days ago, I started the truck and immediately received a warning message saying to get service on the air suspension system "immediately". This occurred despite not driving the truck anywhere the last time I started the engine about 2 weeks earlier.

As best I can tell, the system seems to be working correctly; I can hear the air compressor running and the air bags look like they are pressurized. I can't detect any leaking sounds. When I go to the alternate height setting, it seems to do so and I get a message on the dash confirming this. Same when I go back to the normal height., thus the controllers and position sensors seem to functioning properly. I drove the truck around, turned the engine off and back on several times, no change. As some here have done, I pulled F50, 85,86 & 87 fuses; no change. I don't have any error codes from the OBD. I did not pull F5 for the air compressor since it was running - perhaps I should have. It appears, based on the service bulletin mentioned above, I need to take into the dealer anyway to update the software even if the warning clears. I just had the truck in about a month ago to replace the battery. If there is a service bulletin out for this truck, shouldn't they have mentioned that and taken care of it at that time? I don't have a lot of confidence in my local dealer. I wonder if the "Ram Cares team" would like to address this.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Mine had to be updated per the dealer, took a few minutes, got truck back, never had an issue after. On edit, it was my 2019 Ram HO with air suspension

colodcs

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll give the dealer a call and see how they respond.

Users who are viewing this thread