Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selectable Tire Pressure Monitoring System (STPMS)

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Get JScan, a VLinker MX+, and a KaoTech security bypass cable.

Changing the threshold or swapping back and forth with TPIS/TPMS is easy.

Lots of other possibilities too.
Well, I know this information is formulated in your head, but my brain just doesn't calculate all these technical terms. I'm not a mechanic or electrical engineer and don't even know how to properly utilize a volt meter..... Nothotdog gave me a well written synopsis regarding changing the settings but this is still all Geek to me...... I'd rather pay an expert to do this just to be safe....

Scubaz66

Reaction score
I can't attest to JScan or Alfa OBD, but I used the AEV ProcalSnap to change my TPMS. I am not very mechanically inclined and it was fairly simple to do. With a '22 you shouldn't need to worry about getting the right model (with a '23 I had to make sure it was a "BF" model, as "BE" would not work).

ProcalSnap will only do three things, change TPMS setting, change tire size, and change axle ratio.

It is pretty simple to install and operate (they have instructions on their site and there are some good videos on Youtube as well):
  1. Pop out the OBDII connector from its holder (there are clasps on each side, my clasps were on the dashboard side and not on the floorboard side so I had to kind of reach in from below)
  2. Pop out the pin locks from the OBDII (this was the most difficult part for me, as those gray pin locks were stubborn, I used a very small screw driver to push the pins down and finally got it to pop out)
  3. Insert the bypass pins (they give this to you) in the correct ports on the OBDII
  4. Put the OBDII back in place
  5. Insert the other end of the bypass into the correct green star connector (I had to pop out the panel for the light controls to reach inside the dash, but it was pretty simple to pop out)
Once installed, it is very simple to use (again, they have instructions printed for this as well). You first pair it with your truck (which will make it forever linked to your truck) by pressing the ignition twice to "Run", then plugging in the Snap. You then press and hold the brake pedal and the cruise control on/off button. The horn honks three times and you are now paired.

To change TPMS, you put the radio on AM, then go to the equalizer and change the Bass, Mid, Treb to the values you want (for me it was 0 3 5) and do another set of Brake press + one of the buttons for the cruise control (the buttons are different for changing TPMS, tire size, and axle ratio, it will tell you in the instructions).

Again, for me, the most time consuming part was trying to get the gray pin locks out of the OBDII, other than that it was pretty quick.
Thanks a bunch Sir, but like you I'm not technically inclined to purchase a $100-$200 piece of electrical equipment and try change these settings. I've built a couple computers in my day and already know it doesn't take much to mess things up changing software. Its the only vehicle I own and if mistakes are made I could create a whole slew of other issues.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Get JScan, a VLinker MX+, and a KaoTech security bypass cable.

Changing the threshold or swapping back and forth with TPIS/TPMS is easy.

Lots of other possibilities too.
Exactly what i have and it works great. I change the trigger pressures four times a year between unloaded and towing our fifth wheel. Easy process each time. Plug in the V-Linker, attach the bypass cable, pair the J-Scan, search for TPMS and set the pressures for front and back. Also changed some other stuff to suit my personal preferences. If you make a mistake with JScan, you can undo everything back to the way it was.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I know this information is formulated in your head, but my brain just doesn't calculate all these technical terms. I'm not a mechanic or electrical engineer and don't even know how to properly utilize a volt meter..... Nothotdog gave me a well written synopsis regarding changing the settings but this is still all Geek to me...... I'd rather pay an expert to do this just to be safe....

If you can get the bypass cable plugged into the truck the rest is about as easy of a process as posting on this forum.

You will probably find someone with AlfaOBD or JScan that will do it for a small fee, but the dealership won't.

phatboy64

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Sir, but like you I'm not technically inclined to purchase a $100-$200 piece of electrical equipment and try change these settings. I've built a couple computers in my day and already know it doesn't take much to mess things up changing software. Its the only vehicle I own and if mistakes are made I could create a whole slew of other issues.
Get the following:

Get this on Amazon:

Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS, Android & Windows​

Get this in the Apple App Store:

EBF2576D-40AC-4D0F-9795-152FC880326F.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The AEV procal still requires you to plug in their bypass cable (that's not a complete bypass) and is only a one trick pony.

Get the setup phatboy64 linked and you'll have other options like keeping your fogs on with high beams, etc.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The AEV procal still requires you to plug in their bypass cable (that's not a complete bypass) and is only a one trick pony.

Get the setup phatboy64 linked and you'll have other options like keeping your fogs on with high beams, etc.

The AEV seems a bit overpriced for how little it does.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone who commented on my post! This is a great group of RAM Owners! Can always find answers to questions! Gonna try purchasing the equipment or locating someone who already has the equipment. I’m not really interested in making other changes. So having to pay $125-$150 for the parts seems like a waste of money for me just to use a lower tire pressure and shut the little amber light on my dash off…. lol

Nothotdog

Reaction score

The AEV seems a bit overpriced for how little it does.
I have a bit of buyer's remorse. I think I got the AEV based on lack of knowledge and also that it seemed like it was a one stop shop. I'm going to check out the JScan as well (although if it requires me to take out the AEV bypass I may skip it, as that seems like it may end up a pain, those connectors aren't easy to get to).

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a bit of buyer's remorse. I think I got the AEV based on lack of knowledge and also that it seemed like it was a one stop shop. I'm going to check out the JScan as well (although if it requires me to take out the AEV bypass I may skip it, as that seems like it may end up a pain, those connectors aren't easy to get to).

You can probably have both hooked up, but with JScan there is zero need for the AEV.

Nothotdog

Reaction score
You can probably have both hooked up, but with JScan there is zero need for the AEV.
Ok thanks! Ya, I wouldn't use the AEV, I just think it will probably be a pain to get the bypass to disconnect from the green star connector. When I initially installed the bypass, the Snap was not pairing with my truck (turns out it was due to it being an older Snap that didn't work with the '23). I initially thought it was due to me plugging it into the wrong green board, so I tried to get the bypass out but was having a lot of difficulty (my fingers are too big).

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Would JScan be able to enable things like passive door locks, LED headlights, memory seats/mirrors and TTPMS like AlfaOBD can?

Is there a list of what JScan can do?

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Are you pulling the headlight switch/bezel?

Nothotdog

Reaction score
Are you pulling the headlight switch/bezel?
Ya, I pulled that off to get to them. I think there is a pin on the connector that you have to push (like with a small screw driver), but I couldn't quite get it to work (and had some trouble seeing inside). I have a snake camera somewhere that I can use to get a better look to see where I need to push to get it to come out. I also don't relish the thought of getting the gray connector locks in the OBDII back out (I really had to work them to get them to unlock).

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ya, I pulled that off to get to them. I think there is a pin on the connector that you have to push (like with a small screw driver), but I couldn't quite get it to work (and had some trouble seeing inside). I have a snake camera somewhere that I can use to get a better look to see where I need to push to get it to come out. I also don't relish the thought of getting the gray connector locks in the OBDII back out (I really had to work them to get them to unlock).
Most of us have trimmed off some or all of the little sharp catch on that clip so extracting the plug is simple. As long as you stuff it up where there's no strain on it, it's not going to fall out.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Would JScan be able to enable things like passive door locks, LED headlights, memory seats/mirrors and TTPMS like AlfaOBD can?

Is there a list of what JScan can do?
Download the app. It is free. Then pick your truck and browse around using "DEMO".

Shots

Reaction score
Get the following:

Get this on Amazon:

Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS, Android & Windows​

Get this in the Apple App Store:

View attachment 63831
Great thread here.

Thanks for the list of needed parts/software phatboy64.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need the truck's PIN to program the AlphaOBD. Does the JScan not need that? I have no idea what my truck's PIN is, and so far the dealer hasn't responded to my email.
My truck came configured for 80 psi on the rear. The tires I'm looking to replace them with have max pressure of 65 (still E rated though) so I'll need to reset my
pressure threshold. Looks like JScan is a good option, but I don't want to buy it if I need the trucks PIN that I don't have yet.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Great thread here.

Thanks for the list of needed parts/software phatboy64.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need the truck's PIN to program the AlphaOBD. Does the JScan not need that? I have no idea what my truck's PIN is, and so far the dealer hasn't responded to my email.
My truck came configured for 80 psi on the rear. The tires I'm looking to replace them with have max pressure of 65 (still E rated though) so I'll need to reset my
pressure threshold. Looks like JScan is a good option, but I don't want to buy it if I need the trucks PIN that I don't have yet.

PIN is not needed for 19+

Shots

Reaction score
YAY!!!!!!

Got all my stuff and reset my TPMS threshold. No more tire fill light when I'm not aired to 80 psi. That puts a lot of tire sizes back on the table.
This was actually pretty easy to do. I was a bit nervous jumping into it but everything came with great instructions.
Installing the bypass wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either. I didn't even have to take the knee panel off, much less take the headlight switch out. I don't know why everyone is taking everything apart unless they've got some massive arms (which I do not).

After tax it cost $141.
KaodTech was $55, vLinker $64 and JScan was $22 ($25 list price but I had $3 credit toward app purchase from google).

That's a lot to turn off a light, but now I can adjust my tire size when I upgrade, as well as adjusting a bunch of other stuff if I get the nerve to mess with the computer.
Of course, now that I have the vLinker I might buy a bypass and license for the Jeep too and adjust things on it like the tire size.

Users who are viewing this thread