Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seatbelt Retractor

Pitboss44

Reaction score
2023 crew cab 2500. Drivers seatbelt has been a little sluggish when it gets to the last foot or so of fully retracting the seatbelt since new. Lately its gotten so slow it comes to a stop and I have to wiggle it for it to completely go back it. If I pull it all the way out it will operate as you’d expect until that last foot or so. Anyone else experience this or is there suggested solution before I start popping panels off?

Barryg

Reaction score
My 2022 did that on the drivers side. at first it just seem to be the last few inches but got worse as time/use went by and ended like yours a foot or more and frankly became a real pita. However I took truck in for iirc a recall and asked them about it. They replaced it under warranty and has been fine since.

JustMeAndMy3500

Reaction score
2023 crew cab 2500. Drivers seatbelt has been a little sluggish when it gets to the last foot or so of fully retracting the seatbelt since new. Lately its gotten so slow it comes to a stop and I have to wiggle it for it to completely go back it. If I pull it all the way out it will operate as you’d expect until that last foot or so. Anyone else experience this or is there suggested solution before I start popping panels off?
Could be a FCA manufacturing defect. I had an 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon that did the same thing on the drivers side. It got predominately worse. Come to find out the retractor was misaligned (they missed one of the mounting holes), but managed to "send" that fastener into the sheet metal "close" enough to make it work. That minute misalignment was enough to throw the tract and retract off. Dealer had no choice but to replace. It was a red seat belt due to the Recon model so it wasn't an off-the-shelf item. Also on previous Rams I've had, just the over-all dirt build up on the belt webbing had kept the belt from retracting. You know, you jump out, the belt doesn't retract back and without you knowing it, the belt leaves the truck with you and you then realize it when the door makes that painful noise smashing the buckle against the door jam as you shut the door.
Now yours is fairly new and probably has no real crud on the webbing. It's amazing how little is needed to keep things from operating as advertised. Plenty of YouTube vids on how to soak and then run a cloth over the webbing. All that sweat and hand cooties can gum it up quick. Even a stray drip of Filet-o-fish tarter sauce can be a culprit. Do not spray any lube into the retractor. You realize your boo-boo the minute you release the belt and have a nice cross-body stain across you favorite "Vote For Pedro" t-shirt.

Users who are viewing this thread