Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratch repair on factory dually aluminum wheel

ST3500

Reaction score
Hello forum,
I've unfortunately scratched my wheel on a tight parking lot curb.
Does anyone has any experience in how to repair this ?

Thank you in advance,
Steve

IMG_1789.JPGIMG_1789.JPG

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Ouch! I've repaired damage like this with a small (3.5 in) sanding disc using progressively finer paper. Note that this process will remove the clear coat on the wheels as well but many auto supply shops sell spray bombs of the stuff.

ST3500

Reaction score
Ouch! I've repaired damage like this with a small (3.5 in) sanding disc using progressively finer paper. Note that this process will remove the clear coat on the wheels as well but many auto supply shops sell spray bombs of the stuff.

That's exactly what I had in mind of doing in order to lift off the scratch.
But, if you notice carefully on the factory finish: it looks like it has a fine wire brush finish that follows the circumference of the wheel. Don't you think so ?

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
But, if you notice carefully on the factory finish: it looks like it has a fine wire brush finish that follows the circumference of the wheel. Don't you think so ?
Yep, and that's not unusual for alloy wheels. Mirror finishes are possible with these materials but are time consuming and costly to produce. What consumers typically see is the 'good enough' product.

Users who are viewing this thread