Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safety Package worth it?

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I've seen a couple videos where people didn't care for the Safety Package. Complaints were that it sometimes braked at shadows going under an overpass and sometimes lane assist oversteered. I did notice some oversteer on a test drive. I felt the truck drove better after the feature was turned off. I believe that feature is adjustable though. I have the package down as something I want but I have noticed most of the trucks I am.looking at don't have it. For those that have it, is it something you often use? Would you buy it again? The cost isn't the concern. The narrow selection of local trucks with it is more the problem.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
FCW can be set to active braking, warning only, or off.

Lane Assist can be adjusted for early, normal, late detection and low, medium, or high input. You can also turn it off with the physical button.

I have mine set to FCW Warning only and lane assist normal and low. Not too intrusive and you get used to it.

The FCW is worth it IMHO but If I needed a truck and didn't have it, I suppose I wouldn't miss it. That said, there may be some other features in that package that I wanted, don't recall.

woody284

Reaction score
I would get it for just the led headlights, fog lights and tail lights. That being said that is if they do not come with a different aspect of your build. My brother in law both have 19 tradesmans. He has the safety group with the leds and I have the off-road group with halogens. I envy his headlights and fogs

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I do not feel that that the automated braking is ready for the real world. Try that in any crowded area.

Imagine your driving a 42 foot RV bus and sudden it's braking and you do not know why. (detected overpass as a possible collision)

Someone crosses in front of you, diving for the exit less than 10 feet in front of your 22,000 truck and trailer, and your rig brakes hard. Did you just cause a crash? Talk to a truck driver that has that on their rigs.

As more arrogant and unskilled drivers take the road, you will see more issues some college edumacted genius will try to solve by removing the human from the ability to control the situation. And the complexity of driving is not easily programmed into the computer. Things change too quickly.

Sleepyweasel

Reaction score
I have had the lane assist and the auto cruise control on several vehicles. On each one, I turned those nannies off. Even on the closest setting in the cruise control, it leaves too much of a gap or starts braking far too early for my liking. I did not order the safety group on this vehicle due to those reasons.

Hawk375

Reaction score
If you can't find a truck that has these features and you really want them. You could add a Thinkware dashcam that will give audible warnings for FCW and lane departure. It won't auto-brake or auto-steer of course.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I ordered it with safety pkg and I would order it again. Works very well. Some of the features are adjustable i.e. early med late and close med far. These are extra tools to help make life easier and more enjoyable, not to be confused with actually turning your head to look and or paying attention to traffic. The only fault ive experienced so far it's also warned about in Manuel is I was going through a sharp curve in a tunnel and the brake light warning screamed at me for a split second and it bumped the brake as it thought I was going to hit the wall. I'm all about advancing technology and trying new things to attempt to make better. For me the safety pkg is a know brainer, any extra tools to aid in the job ill use. I'm a ful time rver and it is very helpful while traveling

g00fy

Reaction score
The safety package was non negotiable for me, mainly for Adaptive cruise control, on long drives it's invaluable. The blind spot monitoring was also a nice feature as well as the LED lights, but adaptive cruise control was the main reason i wanted it. At 6'4" I often find my legs cramping up on long trips and when i find a comfortable position it's nice being able to stay there and not worry about hitting the brakes every 30 seconds since people have terrible lane discipline and/or don't know how to maintain speed.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
The safety package was non negotiable for me, mainly for Adaptive cruise control, on long drives it's invaluable. The blind spot monitoring was also a nice feature as well as the LED lights, but adaptive cruise control was the main reason i wanted it. At 6'4" I often find my legs cramping up on long trips and when i find a comfortable position it's nice being able to stay there and not worry about hitting the brakes every 30 seconds since people have terrible lane discipline and/or don't know how to maintain speed.
It’s worth it for the adaptive cruise control alone. Love that feature!
I also love the acc, it really holds you back very well, even with RV, when your stretching and or sight seeing. Also agree on the blind spot. Its already saved me 1 accident as somebody was in my blind spot and I was going to change lns and my light was on. Also I have found a way to make it work pretty dependable with towing fiver. I know that when you pick fiver or goose that it shuts it off, but I just choose conventional trailer when hauling my fiver and the blind spot sees all the way to the back bumper on the RV, wich is also helpful to let me know when I have cleared the vehicle I'm passing to be able to merge.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I have the safety package and set most of the stuff to 'low'... the FCW has helped on several occasions reacting much faster than I could.
I only wish the RAM system was as polished as the system on my wife's Subaru... that is slick and seamless.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I have the safety package and set most of the stuff to 'low'... the FCW has helped on several occasions reacting much faster than I could.
I only wish the RAM system was as polished as the system on my wife's Subaru... that is slick and seamless.
10/4 on the sub, loved mine, that thing would climb a tree in a hail storm

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I'm an old man and was really skeptical of all of the automated safety stuff. But since I was ordering I went ahead and spent the extra $nickel figuring I could turn them off if I didn't like them and it might add a tad to the resale value. I will say I have become very attached to the Forward Collision Warning, the Adaptive Cruise Control, and the automatic braking on the backup alert. Took me a while to figure out the Lane Keep Assist when I first got the truck. I thought the front end was out of alignment until I figured out it just wanted me to use my turn signals when changing lanes. :) I've had the truck about 6 months now and have not experienced any false FCW warnings or braking and the same thing goes for the backup braking.

LossPrev

Reaction score
I also love the acc, it really holds you back very well, even with RV, when your stretching and or sight seeing. Also agree on the blind spot. Its already saved me 1 accident as somebody was in my blind spot and I was going to change lns and my light was on. Also I have found a way to make it work pretty dependable with towing fiver. I know that when you pick fiver or goose that it shuts it off, but I just choose conventional trailer when hauling my fiver and the blind spot sees all the way to the back bumper on the RV, wich is also helpful to let me know when I have cleared the vehicle I'm passing to be able to merge.

I'm pretty bummed that my 2019 2500 doesn't do blind spot monitoring for trailers. I really liked the feature in my 2019 1500 and it seems weird that the 2019 half-tons had it but the 2019 HDs don't. I wonder if its purely software update for 2020 or if there was a change to the sensor.

LossPrev

Reaction score
My 2019 is missing some of the 2020 safety features but to me its worth it. I like the audible FCW alert because the one accident I've caused was due to a lady not committing to turning right while I looked left, thought she had proceeded so I acceleratedand bam...she had only pulled half way out into the road.

As others said I also really like the adaptive cruise. It can be annoying in sometimes but its really nice to let it do its thing in heavier traffic

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The trucks I am looking at all have LED headlights and blind spot warning separate from the Safety Package. The adaptive cruise control sounds nice. I will look for a truck with the package but I don't think it is an absolute must for me.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I do not feel that that the automated braking is ready for the real world. Try that in any crowded area.

Imagine your driving a 42 foot RV bus and sudden it's braking and you do not know why. (detected overpass as a possible collision)

Someone crosses in front of you, diving for the exit less than 10 feet in front of your 22,000 truck and trailer, and your rig brakes hard. Did you just cause a crash? Talk to a truck driver that has that on their rigs.

As more arrogant and unskilled drivers take the road, you will see more issues some college edumacted genius will try to solve by removing the human from the ability to control the situation. And the complexity of driving is not easily programmed into the computer. Things change too quickly.
Actually the automated braking came in quite handy. A few weeks ago I was towing my 30' TT through Pennsylvania doing about 65 when an idiot decided to come over from the left lane and then hit his brake. I was on adaptive cruise control. Both the truck and trailer brakes were applied a split second before I could get my foot over. That split second may have made a difference between an accident and an irritating incident. Note: It was not crowded as there were no other vehicles except the idiot.

NMX779

Reaction score
Absolutely worth it. I got it solely for the adaptive cruise control which was a must have for me. Works like a champ. Is it the best adaptive cruise control I've ever used? No. It's not a Lexus or Mercedes, but for an HD pickup, it works very well.

MegDiver

Reaction score
you may also get a insurance discount depending on state, insurance etc. personally I think its totally worth the money. I have the features on my early build 2019 1500 and while the automatic breaking was a little sensitive / not smart in distinguishing between shadows, driveways, slopes and people, shopping carts, cars... It significantly improved after initial updates and even further after a major update earlier this year... I'd get it in a heartbeat and it will be on my new HD RAM...

bobohio

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The trucks I am looking at all have LED headlights and blind spot warning separate from the Safety Package. The adaptive cruise control sounds nice. I will look for a truck with the package but I don't think it is an absolute must for me.
I have the safety group with out lane detection and I love it!!

Users who are viewing this thread