Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RV Crew - Where do you mount various monitors in your RAM?

SpeedsterZ28

Reaction score
Just bought a fifth wheel to tow behind my 2020 RAM 3500 DRW. I've purchased an RV-specific GPS(Garmin 785), a tire pressure monitor system, and a rear-view camera for the fifth wheel with a display.

Question is--how/where do y'all mount your various monitors? I bought a bulletpoint mount for the dash area next to the cigarette lighter for the Garmin GPS. But I'm trying to decide logistically where it makes the most sense to put the camera monitor and the TTPMS monitor.

Any suggestions or pics of your setup would be greatly appreciated.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not much help, I only have my phone mount (ram mounts) and I run my Tireminder on that.

RV cams (will be) wired and using NAViKS on the 12" Uconnect.

If I had another monitor to run, I would probably be looking at clamps for the rearview mirror post. There's already little real estate between the dash and mirror in the 4.5 gen cab.

Consider the left A-pillar for the TTPMS monitor unless you find another center-dash area. You can replace the bolt/screw under the grab handle with a longer (m6x80) cap screw and Ram ball mount (or similar) stud. I like the Bulletpoint stuff, but I don't know who makes adapters for their 20mm to Ram (smallest) 1" (26mm) and I'm invested in Ram Mounts parts.

g33k247

Reaction score
I use this mount for the trailer camera:
RAM Pod I Locking Vehicle Mount

This is anchored to the left front passenger seat mounting bolt. The post flexes for positioning any way you need it.

For holding the trailer camera monitor, I mount this large Ram x-grip to the flexible post:
RAM X-Grip Universal Holder for 7"-8" Tablets with Ball

When I'm not using the trailer camera, the display and x-grip is stored in the glove box and the mount sits there empty. It's become a Covid mask storage device when I'm not towing.

I did also purchase the Ram mount for the tray above the radio, but I have the largest trailer camera monitor available for my camera and the monitor partially blocked the radio in that position, so I went with the flexible post version described above

I also use a smaller Ram x-grip for my phone anchored to a pro clip mount to the left of the radio display.
PXL_20210413_110655841.jpgPXL_20210413_110921328.jpgPXL_20210413_110549489.jpgPXL_20210413_110626692.jpgPXL_20210413_110745327.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210413_110921328.jpg
    PXL_20210413_110921328.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20210413_110549489.jpg
    PXL_20210413_110549489.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20210413_110626692.jpg
    PXL_20210413_110626692.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 24

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

This is anchored to the left front passenger seat mounting bolt. The post flexes for positioning any way you need it.

For holding the trailer camera monitor, I mount this large Ram x-grip to the flexible post:

When I'm not using the trailer camera, the display and x-grip is stored in the glove box and the mount sits there empty. It's become a Covid mask storage device when I'm not towing.

I did also purchase the Ram mount for the tray above the radio, but I have the largest trailer camera monitor available for my camera and the monitor partially blocked the radio in that position, so I went with the flexible post version described above

I also use a smaller Ram x-grip for my phone anchored to a pro clip mount to the left of the radio display.

OT: How's that iDrive working for you? Mine gave me all sorts of fits and I had to unplug it.

g33k247

Reaction score
OT: How's that iDrive working for you? Mine gave me all sorts of fits and I had to unplug it.
I love the iDrive. I leave in auto mode most of the time and it seems to respond pretty well sensing the urgency of my pedal input -- definitely better than stock. Cranking the sensitivity all the way up makes it difficult to drive smoothly in any stop and go situations though..

SpeedsterZ28

Reaction score
I'm not much help, I only have my phone mount (ram mounts) and I run my Tireminder on that.

RV cams (will be) wired and using NAViKS on the 12" Uconnect.

If I had another monitor to run, I would probably be looking at clamps for the rearview mirror post. There's already little real estate between the dash and mirror in the 4.5 gen cab.

Consider the left A-pillar for the TTPMS monitor unless you find another center-dash area. You can replace the bolt/screw under the grab handle with a longer (m6x80) cap screw and Ram ball mount (or similar) stud. I like the Bulletpoint stuff, but I don't know who makes adapters for their 20mm to Ram (smallest) 1" (26mm) and I'm invested in Ram Mounts parts.

Love the idea of mounting the TTPMS on the left A-pillar.

Question about the NAViKS--I see they make one for the 8.4" Uconnect--that's good. Would I run the wiring from my trailer camera into the NAViKS interface? On my Tradesman, I don't have buttons on the back of the steering wheel to enter the camera mode as show in their demo--I'm guessing I can configure it to use a different button/combo? Could it be configured to be used with the Trailer AUX input mode under the camera controls on the Uconnect?

SpeedsterZ28

Reaction score

That's a cool setup--do you feel like you have to look down too much to see your trailer camera in that position, or is it still in your line of sight as you're driving?

Thorvald

Reaction score
Bayou Goat mounts. Adds a nice spot in the center dash for suction cups. Got mine installed just the other week:

Sample from their website:

IMG_0678.JPG

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Love the idea of mounting the TTPMS on the left A-pillar.

Question about the NAViKS--I see they make one for the 8.4" Uconnect--that's good. Would I run the wiring from my trailer camera into the NAViKS interface? On my Tradesman, I don't have buttons on the back of the steering wheel to enter the camera mode as show in their demo--I'm guessing I can configure it to use a different button/combo? Could it be configured to be used with the Trailer AUX input mode under the camera controls on the Uconnect?

Sorry, I don't know how the NAViKS works with the 8.4 or if you have to have the steering controls. I don't even know how their 8.4 box uses on-board cams or has the RCA inputs like they put on the 12" unit. I know of no way to change any programmable options on their box, only the "alternate" options @RBarrett worked out with them to enable/disable the turn signal camera feature. Best to contact them directly with questions.

While you're at it, ask them WTF my turn signal camera option keeps enabling itself randomly. j/k LOL

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Being cheap....and not liking anything permanent or semi-permanent......I just buy one of those custom cut "carpet" dash covers on eBay and stick a tab or three of "hook" Velcro on everything and sit them on the dash. Radar detector...dash cam.....old Garmin GPS with the Low Clearance POI loaded on it. If I ever find a cheap 5th wheel I assume a rear view cam for that will be my next addition.

Oh yeh......and the dash mat keeps the broiling Georgia summer sun from warping or damaging my dash. Got one in my truck and both of my Jeep Grand Cherokees.

Last edited:

Will_T

Reaction score
I just buy one of those custom cut "carpet" dash covers on eBay and stick a tab or three of "hook" Velcro on everything and sit them on the dash. Radar detector...dash cam.....old Garmin GPS with the Low Clearance POI loaded on it.
I did the same originally on my 2001 Ford but found the devices flopped around too much for ,y preference with just the Velcro connecting them to the dash carpet cover.

g33k247

Reaction score
That's a cool setup--do you feel like you have to look down too much to see your trailer camera in that position, or is it still in your line of sight as you're driving?
I don't really rely on the trailer camera while driving -- mostly just while backing into camp sites.

Users who are viewing this thread