Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rusty components & fasteners

MikeJP

Reaction score
Hello -

I have a 2013 Tradesman 5.7 L 2500 HD. I bought it with 65K miles. There are lots of fasteners under the truck that are rusted, especially the head and nut. Is there a recommendation on what can be applied to these areas to slow the rust spread and make it easier to remove the fastener at a future date? Or is a better approach to remove & replace the fasteners now?

Mike

Lary0071

Reaction score
Hello -

I have a 2013 Tradesman 5.7 L 2500 HD. I bought it with 65K miles. There are lots of fasteners under the truck that are rusted, especially the head and nut. Is there a recommendation on what can be applied to these areas to slow the rust spread and make it easier to remove the fastener at a future date? Or is a better approach to remove & replace the fasteners now?

Mike
Order some aerosol cans of fluid film, Krown Rustproofing or similar and you can hit these areas and protect them for a year or so per spritz.

Fluid Film

Krown

Woolwax

flan

Reaction score
Fluid film for that application would work well. It wicks into the threads making future removal easier.

Users who are viewing this thread