Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust? Undercoating

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok I will bite, tell me about this ram undercoating. Is it traditional undercoating.
Its like a wax almost but they warrenty it 40 years million km warranty.... if your gonna spend 1450 on an undercoating it better have a comparable warranty...

Cummins3

Reaction score
I did nhoil and it's worked great on the last few cars I have... It also shouldn't be more then 300.to do whole truck in the original black or clear oil... 1400 is a ripoff

Ed95pont

Reaction score
I did nhoil and it's worked great on the last few cars I have... It also shouldn't be more then 300.to do whole truck in the original black or clear oil... 1400 is a ripoff
I have also used the 300 dollar treatment in the past. It worked good but I did not like the mess. This treatment is a semi permeant wax type coating applied to new trucks only that dirt does not stick to. They also do the inside cavities with the regular oil. This treatment does not require reapplication every year. The recommend an inspection every 2 years. I question the 1450 price also and got quotes from 3 shops. The truck spends 3 day s indoors getting done. The shop did a very nice job. There were several trucks waiting to be done. Time will tell how it holds up

Ripoff is relative , I like the dirt not clinging to it, It is a clean look for sure. In my mind fancy wheels are a rip off. I could not find a tradesmen with the 8 inch screen and paid 1500 for the infotainment. That was a rip off in my opinion but bought it anyway. I could have saved some money sourcing the parts on my own but time is also money.

Last edited:

Cummins3

Reaction score
Sorry so u did the new wax nh coating.....noone around me did that when I bought my truck so I did the next best thing I think and did the traditional oil.... I thought u where getting quoted that price for the traditional my bad..... Let us know how it holds up and pics would b awesome thanx

mr.robot

Reaction score
I'm dropping my truck off next month at GSD Undercoatings in Keyport, NJ. Was quoted $850 for a new '20 2500 Limited short bed. Will let you know how it goes!

psmura

Reaction score
I'm dropping my truck off next month at GSD Undercoatings in Keyport, NJ. Was quoted $850 for a new '20 2500 Limited short bed. Will let you know how it goes!
I would not recommend a hard undercoating like ziebart. It traps moisture and rusts from the inside out. Stick to an annual application of an oil based product.

Last edited:

mr.robot

Reaction score
I would not recommend a hard undercoating like ziebart. It traps moisture and rusts from the inside out. Stick to an annual application of an oil based product.

I've heard of that before, but 99% I probably will not be keeping it past the powertrain warranty or ~50k miles. The company I'm using explained their process well and they stated it would take a couple days for them to complete it. One of the first steps was spraying the underbody with some water/moisture dissipating film and then carefully coating it. I guess it also helps owning a carwash where I can send it through with underbody wash after they throw salt down. Going to try it out and see what happens!

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I've heard of that before, but 99% I probably will not be keeping it past the powertrain warranty or ~50k miles. The company I'm using explained their process well and they stated it would take a couple days for them to complete it. One of the first steps was spraying the underbody with some water/moisture dissipating film and then carefully coating it. I guess it also helps owning a carwash where I can send it through with underbody wash after they throw salt down. Going to try it out and see what happens!

I would still strongly recommend avoiding that traditional rust coating. It really doesn't matter what the company says. The issue isn't really with the initial application, or what they do to prepare it. the problem is that the undercoating WILL crack and create voids, and will trap moisture. If I were going to use underbody wash and rinse frequently, I'd prefer nothing to traditional undercoating. Two other points. Undercoating does absolutely nothing for critical areas such as in between sheet panels in the bed around the wheel houses where it rusts from the inside out - and in fact can make that worse by plugging draining. The second other point is for resale. I would never purchase a used Ram that has traditional undercoating, because it can hide serious corrosion. It's an immediate disqualification for me. I've seen this first hand and will never experience it again.

psmura

Reaction score
If you own a car wash then just leave the body alone and wash after every salting. You are in NJ anyway, not like you get that much snow/salt on the roads like here in NY. Sounds like the shop you are using is pretty legit, good luck to you!

Diehler

Reaction score
I just picked up my new 2021 Limited last week and went straight to have it professionally Krowned (Canadian product) in Rochester Hills, MI. I was planning to do it myself with Fluid Film (even bought a gallon, prepped a gun), but for the solid work these guys did for $149 , probably wont bother doing it myself. They sprayed everywhere there was metal. I even allowed (but reluctantly) them to drill a small hole in each door to spray the door cavities. In one pick you can see they pull both taillights to get into the bed cavities. Next year I will remove all 4 wheel liners before my next application. They use several types of wands to hit hard to reach areas. Their warranty is lifetime as long as it gets sprayed annually. After the application, they spray your exterior with a foam cannon and wash the exterior with a pressure cleaner. Lastly, they gave me a free rattle Krown can for touch ups and $10 coupon for my next visit.

Attachments

• Krown Tailgate.jpg
    Krown Tailgate.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Krown under.jpg
    Krown under.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Krown side.jpg
    Krown side.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Krwon Clean.jpg
    Krwon Clean.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Krown Reasons.jpg
    Krown Reasons.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Krown Price.jpg
    Krown Price.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 32

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
I just picked up my new 2021 Limited last week and went straight to have it professionally Krowned (Canadian product) in Rochester Hills, MI. I was planning to do it myself with Fluid Film (even bought a gallon, prepped a gun), but for the solid work these guys did for $149 , probably wont bother doing it myself. They sprayed everywhere there was metal. I even allowed (but reluctantly) them to drill a small hole in each door to spray the door cavities. In one pick you can see they pull both taillights to get into the bed cavities. Next year I will remove all 4 wheel liners before my next application. They use several types of wands to hit hard to reach areas. Their warranty is lifetime as long as it gets sprayed annually. After the application, they spray your exterior with a foam cannon and wash the exterior with a pressure cleaner. Lastly, they gave me a free rattle Krown can for touch ups and $10 coupon for my next visit.

Damn, they can't be making much money if his is how they treat every vehicle...Good for you!!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Be careful with krown i had to change every rubber door seal and bushing on my old 3500 after 2 years of krown it just turns rubber in to jelly fluid film or any non petroleum based product is better

Diehler

Reaction score
Be careful with krown i had to change every rubber door seal and bushing on my old 3500 after 2 years of krown it just turns rubber in to jelly fluid film or any non petroleum based product is better
Thank you and I will keep an eye on that for sure. Between the Krown warranty + 7y/120K mile Maximum Care I purchased, I would believe items like this would be covered. In the meantime, I will clean/lubricate all my door/hood seals with Fluid Film. In regards to bushings, are there specific locations I should focus on?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thank you and I will keep an eye on that for sure. Between the Krown warranty + 7y/120K mile Maximum Care I purchased, I would believe items like this would be covered. In the meantime, I will clean/lubricate all my door/hood seals with Fluid Film. In regards to bushings, are there specific locations I should focus on?
Trans mount is the biggest one

Frank

Reaction score
If you own a car wash then just leave the body alone and wash after every salting. You are in NJ anyway, not like you get that much snow/salt on the roads like here in NY. Sounds like the shop you are using is pretty legit, good luck to you!

That's what I do. I've got an unlimited plan including underbody at a car wash around the corner from my house. I'm in there at least twice a week, plus any time I see a hint of salt on my truck. That was a condition of coming over to Dodge/Ram. I used to use a protective film of dirt but not going to chance it.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
That's what I do. I've got an unlimited plan including underbody at a car wash around the corner from my house. I'm in there at least twice a week, plus any time I see a hint of salt on my truck. That was a condition of coming over to Dodge/Ram. I used to use a protective film of dirt but not going to chance it.
Problem with that is you won't help the issues of between the inner and outer quarter/bed panels where these trucks rust so frequently.

flan

Reaction score
I spot sprayed certain under carriage areas that are prone to rusting with the RP-342. Good stuff.
How’s the final result? Is it tacky? Drive down dirt roads does dirt cling to it?

Billcf7

Reaction score
My Krown dealer here in Whitby ON no longer pulls the tail lights for liability reasons with new blind spot sensors in lights. He informed me they can reach the same area from below but is a little messier. At close to $1000 each I dont blame him

Users who are viewing this thread