Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rust Prevention

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Gonna drive back East for the Holidays and I guess I should do the wheel wells. Is this stuff gonna run off when the Temp. gets up to 110 here in July?
No it will creep some but wont run off

snocam

Reaction score
Honestly, with any vehicle you plan on keeping for awhile , corrosion protection is a good idea, even in a more moderate climate. You never know when you might take a ski trip or drive on the beach right?

2500Ram

Reaction score
Gonna drive back East for the Holidays and I guess I should do the wheel wells. Is this stuff gonna run off when the Temp. gets up to 110 here in July?
One trip is a non issue. We see a lot of the brine pre-treat and salt and even after years of that you're still ok. I fluid film once before the salt and that keeps things like fasteners and such from rusting - you won't need anything for a trip in and out of the East.

flan

Reaction score
So I finally got around to undercoating the truck today. I decided on the CRC marine corrosion inhibitor. To vet the product before I coated my truck with it, last fall I made a new burn barrel for yard waste and had the top of the 55g drum so I did a little experiment with it. The outside of the barrel is painted and the inside is bare mild steel. I had cleaned it and applied a thin film of the CRC and left it on a woodpile, exposed to the sun and elements all winter. The coating showed no sign of breaking down after 6 months of exposure, and no rust on the exposed surface. The product has a slight yellow color to it and dries to a tack free finish. I bought a 6 pack of the cans and it was enough to do all of the frame, crossmembers, axles and suspension components. I also did several pinch weld areas under the cab and bed. I’ll see how it holds up to roadspray, etc in the next coming months and report back.

1686612498145.jpeg
1686612557784.jpeg

1686612647941.jpeg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So I finally got around to undercoating the truck today. I decided on the CRC marine corrosion inhibitor. To vet the product before I coated my truck with it, last fall I made a new burn barrel for yard waste and had the top of the 55g drum so I did a little experiment with it. The outside of the barrel is painted and the inside is bare mild steel. I had cleaned it and applied a thin film of the CRC and left it on a woodpile, exposed to the sun and elements all winter. The coating showed no sign of breaking down after 6 months of exposure, and no rust on the exposed surface. The product has a slight yellow color to it and dries to a tack free finish. I bought a 6 pack of the cans and it was enough to do all of the frame, crossmembers, axles and suspension components. I also did several pinch weld areas under the cab and bed. I’ll see how it holds up to roadspray, etc in the next coming months and report back.

View attachment 58358
View attachment 58359

View attachment 58360
CRC makes some decent products. Do you get salt where you are? And did you try pressure washing the barrel top to see how well it stays on the metal?

flan

Reaction score
CRC makes some decent products. Do you get salt where you are? And did you try pressure washing the barrel top to see how well it stays on the metal?
They salt the holy hell out of the roads I confuse them with the bonneville salt flats at times lol. Since the truck is not my primary vehicle it has not seen salt. As far as the question about pressure washing the top I have not.

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
Just applied PB surface shield to the truck yesterday.

I used the WoolWax spray gun kit ($50 on Amazon) and about a can and a half from the spray gun out of the $80 gallon I bought. It went a lot further than I thought it would.

I put it off too long, wasn’t that bad once I got started. Wore a pair of coveralls but it actually didn’t drip a single drop once I started spraying.

I warmed the tub up in the sink with some warm water to help it flow too since it had been sitting in the garage.

We’ll see how it holds up but I sprayed everything visible and used the tube extension to spray every hole I could find, all the frame and subframe pieces, body panels where the steps mount, everything.

Calipers, suspension, all of it. Supposedly it doesn’t hurt rubber bushings or wiring so I was liberal with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread