Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Board Function Question

Will_T

Reaction score
I probably should have looked into the OEM power running boards more before ordering but did not think of potential issues and there was so much else to distract me. But they are coming on the truck so I will have them. I have seen it said that the Mopar power running boards can not be left deployed when driving. I can see wanting them out when on gravel roads but may have to depend on rock protection from front mud flaps only. It was mentioned it was a liability so Ram does not allow for deployed when driving. Odd since other non-powered boards are out all the time. Some have stated that you can deploy them when parked. I looked in the manual and saw settings for "Automatic" and "Stow" but not out when parked. Are there any other possibilities?

So specific questions are:
1. Can you have them deployed when you park and leave the truck?
2. Is it correct that there is no possible way to have them out when driving?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Xflight29

Reaction score
My 2020 Longhorn 3500 can have them deployed while driving.

Will_T

Reaction score
My 2020 Longhorn 3500 can have them deployed while driving.
Really! Now I am confused for sure as that is the first I have heard or come across that says they can. As I noted, I have seen threads where people complained that it can not be done. I just looked at my downloaded manual again and it only shows settings for automatic operation where they extend when a door is opened and retract when the door is closed. Also an option for having them stowed all the time. Nothing else. I guess I will just have to wait until I have the truck to see if mine can be deployed when driving.

Xflight29

Reaction score
In my setting on my Uconnect it has deploy running boards. stays out until I change the settings.

Will_T

Reaction score
In my setting on my Uconnect it has deploy running boards. stays out until I change the settings.
Now that I have my truck I have experimented with this. If I deploy the running boards using that Uconnect "deploy" setting, (button), you refer too, that is what keeps them out when parked. Once I get in the truck, close the door, and put the truck in drive the boards retract. In the main settings menu there is another place with running board options, "stowed" and "auto". The stowed setting keeps them in all the time with the doors opened or closed. Can't see that point though as it is a big jump to the ground and a big climb into the cab with them stowed. "Auto" is the setting where every time the door opens, the boards extend and every time the doors close, the boards retract. That seems to be default and how mine came from the factory. I have not found any other settings for the running boards. So on my 2021 3500, I can not see any way to drive with the running boards deployed. And if I get in and out of the truck several times when backing my TT into a campsite, I can not see anyway to keep the boards deployed so that they are not going in and out every time I open and close the door.

If there are more settings for the power running boards I have not found, please let us know. Thanks!

Last edited:

Xflight29

Reaction score
Now that I have my truck I have experimented with this. If I deploy the running boards using that Uconnect "deploy" setting, (button), you refer too, that is what keeps them out when parked. Once I get in the truck, close the door, and put the truck in drive the boards retract. In the main settings menu there is another place with running board options, "stowed" and "auto". The stowed setting keeps them in all the time with the doors opened or closed. Can't see that point though as it is a big jump to the ground and a big climb into the cab with them stowed. "Auto" is the setting where every time the door opens, the boards extend and every time the doors close, the boards retract. That seems to be default and how mine came from the factory. I have not found any other settings for the running boards. So on my 2021 3500, I can not see any way to drive with the running boards deployed. And if I get in and out of the truck several times when backing my TT into a campsite, I can not see anyway to keep the boards deployed so that they are not going in and out every time I open and close the door.

If there are more settings for the power running boards I have not found, please let us know. Thanks!
I will have to drive mine with the running boards deployed and see if this is true on mine. At this moment my passenger side running board is not deploying correctly / sometimes it comes out all the way other times it starts to deploy but that returns back under truck. wife is only 5-2 on a tall day so she has to get a running start to jump in when the boards to want to accommodate her.

Jeeptree2112

Reaction score
following this feed.....also cannot find on my display the "deploy" function, not really for driving so much but when I'm parked or washing the truck 25 times a week, lol

Will_T

Reaction score
Just as a follow up now after using these for a while. On mine they do work as I described above with a few quirks. Sometimes when I have them deployed, they will eventually retract on their own. Not always, and I have not yet determined if there is a pattern. The other thing is that if you are working on the truck and getting in and out constantly, it would be nice if you could lock them out. As it is, if you are opening and closing doors, starting and stopping engine, etc., they are opening and closing over and over. Also, even though I would say they deploy fairly quickly, they are not really fast enough for my movement. I am always opening the door to get out and stepping down before they are fully deployed. Getting in it is the same. Open the door and I am ready to step up before they are fully deployed.

Overall they work as designed but if I had to do it over again, I would definitely get stationary steps.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
following this feed.....also cannot find on my display the "deploy" function, not really for driving so much but when I'm parked or washing the truck 25 times a week, lol

Car wash is easy. Just pop a door and then block their retract. They will stay down until you cycle that side's door again.

Same thing if you need to keep them retracted while working on the truck, just block their open and they will retract.

Same as pinch protection on power windows.

Jeeptree2112

Reaction score
Car wash is easy. Just pop a door and then block their retract. They will stay down until you cycle that side's door again.

Same thing if you need to keep them retracted while working on the truck, just block their open and they will retract.

Same as pinch protection on power windows.
So funny you say that....Just this morning I dropped a card on the ground as I was getting out of the truck, closed the door and reached for the card between the deployed step and door, then the step started retracting, as was about to scream like a lil Bi#*h getting his arm snapped in half, the steps redeployed and stayed out. So yes, I now know that works!!

Jeeptree2112

Reaction score
Just as a follow up now after using these for a while. On mine they do work as I described above with a few quirks. Sometimes when I have them deployed, they will eventually retract on their own. Not always, and I have not yet determined if there is a pattern. The other thing is that if you are working on the truck and getting in and out constantly, it would be nice if you could lock them out. As it is, if you are opening and closing doors, starting and stopping engine, etc., they are opening and closing over and over. Also, even though I would say they deploy fairly quickly, they are not really fast enough for my movement. I am always opening the door to get out and stepping down before they are fully deployed. Getting in it is the same. Open the door and I am ready to step up before they are fully deployed.

Overall they work as designed but if I had to do it over again, I would definitely get stationary steps.
I'm not sure why Ram decided to put a DEPLOY STEP icon on the 1500's but not on the HD's

Jeeptree2112

Reaction score
I’m an idiot. Here it is. Plain as day.

Attachments

• 4F0D8C98-6440-48F5-A6B5-262944DD1FBE.jpeg
    4F0D8C98-6440-48F5-A6B5-262944DD1FBE.jpeg
    585.9 KB · Views: 35

Will_T

Reaction score
I’m an idiot. Here it is. Plain as day.
Yes, but it does not work as simply as you might think. It will deploy but there are many things that will cause it to then retract. I "deployed" the steps while working on the upfitter switches. But as I would be opening and closing doors or cycling the ignition switch, the steps would sometimes retract, other times they would not. Sometimes I would be standing at an open door not doing anything to the truck and the steps would retract on their own. That behavior almost seemed like it was on a timer or something. I did not figure out a specific pattern to it. Other times I would deploy the steps, then lock and leave the truck and the next morning the steps were still out. Other times they would be retracted. I have come to think that the "deploy" button is really for parking only. If you deploy the steps and then leave and lock the truck, the steps seem to stay out most of the time until you return, unlock and enter the truck and close the doors. So the "deploy" icon is not to keep them out until you manually retract them. It usually just puts them out until the next time you do something that make the control believe it should retract them. With the OEM retracting steps, there is no way to keep them out all the time. For example, on my truck, starting to drive will always cause them to retract.

Jeeptree2112

Reaction score
Yes, but it does not work as simply as you might think. It will deploy but there are many things that will cause it to then retract. I "deployed" the steps while working on the upfitter switches. But as I would be opening and closing doors or cycling the ignition switch, the steps would sometimes retract, other times they would not. Sometimes I would be standing at an open door not doing anything to the truck and the steps would retract on their own. That behavior almost seemed like it was on a timer or something. I did not figure out a specific pattern to it. Other times I would deploy the steps, then lock and leave the truck and the next morning the steps were still out. Other times they would be retracted. I have come to think that the "deploy" button is really for parking only. If you deploy the steps and then leave and lock the truck, the steps seem to stay out most of the time until you return, unlock and enter the truck and close the doors. So the "deploy" icon is not to keep them out until you manually retract them. It usually just puts them out until the next time you do something that make the control believe it should retract them. With the OEM retracting steps, there is no way to keep them out all the time. For example, on my truck, starting to drive will always cause them to retract.
Very interesting

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I only usually keep them deployed when washing the truck or when in a parking lot...and I've never had them retract while cleaning the truck, even with opening/closing the doors, but the key is also not near the truck.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Maybe this is something you could override with AlfaOBD?

CdnHO

Reaction score
I probably should have looked into the OEM power running boards more before ordering but did not think of potential issues and there was so much else to distract me. But they are coming on the truck so I will have them. I have seen it said that the Mopar power running boards can not be left deployed when driving. I can see wanting them out when on gravel roads but may have to depend on rock protection from front mud flaps only. It was mentioned it was a liability so Ram does not allow for deployed when driving. Odd since other non-powered boards are out all the time. Some have stated that you can deploy them when parked. I looked in the manual and saw settings for "Automatic" and "Stow" but not out when parked. Are there any other possibilities?

So specific questions are:
1. Can you have them deployed when you park and leave the truck?
2. Is it correct that there is no possible way to have them out when driving?

Thanks!
I don't think the deployable steps provide much protection either way. Deployed they stick out a fair amount and don't appear to provide that much protection. Retracted the go in to far and any stones picked up by a tire will hit the rocker panel anyway. Probablyt the best protection with these steps is to have the bottom area covered with a protective film. Just my opinion. YMMV

Will_T

Reaction score
Probably the best protection with these steps is to have the bottom area covered with a protective film.
We do drive a fair amount on gravel forest service or BLM roads. I have Gatorback mudflaps front and rear and don't plan for wider tires. The rear flaps hopefully will provide some protection to the front of the TT. And I was thinking the front flaps will provide some protection to the lower side panels of the truck. I do have an appt. to get some PPF on the front of the truck in a couple of weeks. I was not planning to get it for the sides but maybe even with the mudflaps, it is a good idea? That PPF stuff is not inexpensive! My 20 year old truck had no PPF but it had the 2001 version of the Ford tubular type fixed steps. The sides were still in fine shape after 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread