Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough shaking bouncing ride

BigRedOne220

Reaction score
I have a 2022 2500hd Bighorn 4wd. I bought it new and have had it for a year. The ride is horrible, to the point when I am driving down the road my cheeks and brain feel like they are shaking. Every little bump in the road is felt. I have had it to the dealer and they say everything is within specs.
I have heard new shocks might be an answer to this and am looking at the Blistein 5100, but it looks like they are just for lifted trucks. Is this true? Also could I use the Blistein for 4600 or are they not stiff enough for my truck. Any help in trying to smooth out this ride would be greatly appreciated.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Shocks are Not your answer so don't waste your money.

Is this your first HD truck? How does it ride while towing or significant weight in the bed? What is your tire pressure?

BigRedOne220

Reaction score
Shocks are Not your answer so don't waste your money.

Is this your first HD truck? How does it ride while towing or significant weight in the bed? What is your tire pressure?

This is my first he truck. Had a ram 1500 and moved up to the 2500hd to pull a new travel trailer. The truck behaves the same way with the rv attached and also when there is a load in the bed. I have had tires at door pressure and have also lowered them down to 50psi. I do not feel that much of a difference with the psi change.
Any suggestions?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Start with running the proper air pressure in the tires. For reference my CC LB 3500 HO only needs 55/35 psi when empty, and the ride is noticeably different that the 60/80 on the door sticker.

What is your cab/bed configuration? What engine do you have?

BigRedOne220

Reaction score
I have a crew cab with a 6’4” bed and the 6.4 hemi gas engine.

How did you decide on that air pressure and know what was safe for he tires?
Start with running the proper air pressure in the tires. For reference my CC LB 3500 HO only needs 55/35 psi when empty, and the ride is noticeably different that the 60/80 on the door sticker.

de

BigRedOne220

Reaction score

de

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

There are various load and inflation tables published on the internet. I like the one from Toyo since it has a comprehensive list of tire sizes in it, even if they don't make a tire in that size.

You can then use scale weight or a SWAG based on curb weight. I've weighed my rig in multiple configurations and generally have a good idea what it weighs.

Ram says your truck has a curb weight around 6650, plus options, and a F/R split of 3854/2797. You can input your VIN here, or look at your door sticker, to get your payload. Subtract your payload from your GVWR to get your exact curb weight.

The minimum you should run based on those numbers is 40/35. I would probably start at 45/35 until you can hit a scale. That's assuming you have the LT275/70R18's on your truck. Your TPMS light may go off, but you can either fix that with AlfaOBD or live with it when empty. At a minimum it will help with determining the cause of the rough ride, presuming it isn't normal for the truck.

A CC SB 2500 Hemi is probably going to be a bit harsher than a 1500, or even some 3500 CC LB setups due to the wheelbase and empty weight.

Dave01

Reaction score
Agree with above that you are coming from a 1500, a 2500 just is stiffer. I'm used to it, have been driving 2500's for quite a few years. My last truck, 2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax, had close to 300,000 miles on it and reacted less to bumps than this '21 Ram, but it was simply because of a tired suspension. The Ram actually drives and handles much better, deals with washboard roads without trying to bounce off the road.

Try the lower tire pressure. Also as you may have read here the Thuren front sway bar will help with rocking, I've ordered one for mine. Finally, in the winter I carry 500 lbs. of sand in the bed in the winter, just put it in a few weeks ago, found it smoothed out the ride a bit.

Any 2500 or 3500 is going to transmit bumps more than you are used to, the suspension is stiffer for obvious reasons.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with above that you are coming from a 1500, a 2500 just is stiffer. I'm used to it, have been driving 2500's for quite a few years. My last truck, 2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax, had close to 300,000 miles on it and reacted less to bumps than this '21 Ram, but it was simply because of a tired suspension. The Ram actually drives and handles much better, deals with washboard roads without trying to bounce off the road.

Try the lower tire pressure. Also as you may have read here the Thuren front sway bar will help with rocking, I've ordered one for mine. Finally, in the winter I carry 500 lbs. of sand in the bed in the winter, just put it in a few weeks ago, found it smoothed out the ride a bit.

Any 2500 or 3500 is going to transmit bumps more than you are used to, the suspension is stiffer for obvious reasons.

It is important what you are use to. If I drive a 1500 I feel like it’s squishy and has poor handling, I can’t stand it. This makes the ride feel much worse than my 3500 with auto-level.

The only 1500 I’ve driven that was decent, but still not great, was a 4 corner air Ram 1500.

BigRedOne220

Reaction score
There are various load and inflation tables published on the internet. I like the one from Toyo since it has a comprehensive list of tire sizes in it, even if they don't make a tire in that size.

You can then use scale weight or a SWAG based on curb weight. I've weighed my rig in multiple configurations and generally have a good idea what it weighs.

Ram says your truck has a curb weight around 6650, plus options, and a F/R split of 3854/2797. You can input your VIN here, or look at your door sticker, to get your payload. Subtract your payload from your GVWR to get your exact curb weight.

The minimum you should run based on those numbers is 40/35. I would probably start at 45/35 until you can hit a scale. That's assuming you have the LT275/70R18's on your truck. Your TPMS light may go off, but you can either fix that with AlfaOBD or live with it when empty. At a minimum it will help with determining the cause of the rough ride, presuming it isn't normal for the truck.

A CC SB 2500 Hemi is probably going to be a bit harsher than a 1500, or even some 3500 CC LB setups due to the wheelbase and empty weight.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I will have to spend some time reading over Toto link and see if I can digest all of it. It makes sense to lower the tire pressure when it is empty, I will have to figure out how much to increase them when I need to put payload in the e bed or when towing the rv. This will be my starting point and my wife will love that it is a free possible fix.

If this does not help to the extent I am looking for, do you think the lower tire pressure and Blistein shocks work together to help even more or as another person posted about a Thurben sway bar?

CdnHO

Reaction score
The load/inflation tables are the way to go. I use the door sticker values when load and the tables when unloaded. My dually weights call for 65 in front and 35 in the back. The diesel in front weighs a LOT. The truck rides great for a dually and using those pressures will insure proper tire wear as well. My old 2003 dually had pressures for light and heavy loads. The lawyers for Ram probably told them to put max on the stickers. LOL

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If this does not help to the extent I am looking for, do you think the lower tire pressure and Blistein shocks work together to help even more or as another person posted about a Thurben sway bar?

Shocks probably won't help like you're thinking. When I put 5100's on my 05 they firmed the ride up a bit, which I liked as it improved the handling. I don't think you're after anything firmer.

As for the Thuren anti-sway bar (I'm planning on one by next hunting season) I am not sure it will have much effect at highway speeds, but they should have a nice impact at slow speed off camber stuff.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Might check out the Thuren REAR trac bar kit. It's been on my list for years. Better rear geometry so less kick out feeling when rear suspension cycles on the 2500s

MarioM

Reaction score
I have a 2022 2500hd Bighorn 4wd. I bought it new and have had it for a year. The ride is horrible, to the point when I am driving down the road my cheeks and brain feel like they are shaking. Every little bump in the road is felt. I have had it to the dealer and they say everything is within specs.
I have heard new shocks might be an answer to this and am looking at the Blistein 5100, but it looks like they are just for lifted trucks. Is this true? Also could I use the Blistein for 4600 or are they not stiff enough for my truck. Any help in trying to smooth out this ride would be greatly appreciated.
I have a ram 2020 3500 and the ride is horrible depending on road conditions, my whole truck bounces like crazy, I do not believe this is nornal and it is very frustating when I drive on parts of certain highways for hours with non stop bouncing up and down. Not fun at all.

Dave01

Reaction score
I have a ram 2020 3500 and the ride is horrible depending on road conditions, my whole truck bounces like crazy, I do not believe this is nornal and it is very frustating when I drive on parts of certain highways for hours with non stop bouncing up and down. Not fun at all.
Mario, do you generally drive unloaded, or with minimal weight in the bed? Where 3500's really fall down compared to 2500's in terms of ride quality is when you have no weight. Also look at the tire pressure recommendations above, anyone running with door sticker pressures and not much payload are going to ride really harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread