Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough Idle when Stopped and Bouncy Ride

Tater86

Reaction score
Wondering if you call could help me out here. I just picked up my 2023 this month with the 6.4 Hemi and I only have 750 miles on it, but the truck likes to idle very rough when stopped at stop signs, traffic lights, parking lots. I'm coming from a 1500, so I know its a whole new setup, but that is all I have to compare it to. If I put a bottle of water in the cup holder it looks like impact tremors and the water dances, not a lot but not smooth.

The other issue is when I'm driving, it is mostly a smooth ride, but sometimes it like to bounce like I'm on a washboard. It shakes the man boobies quite a bit, haha. I'm running Falken Wildpeak tires set at 65PSI in the front and 60PSI in the rear.

Any thoughts on what could be causing either of these issues? I couldn't find anything when I searched.

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
What engine do you have?

Is the bounce in the ride speed dependent?

Tater86

Reaction score
What engine do you have?

Is the bounce in the ride speed dependent?
I fixed the post, but I have the 6.4 Hemi. My buddy who was riding with me noticed it when I was around 66 mph, but I feel like I have felt it anywhere between 40-75. Its completely random and can happen on smooth roads or when you hit a bump.

Aaandroger

Reaction score
Wondering if you call could help me out here. I just picked up my 2023 this month with the 6.4 Hemi and I only have 750 miles on it, but the truck likes to idle very rough when stopped at stop signs, traffic lights, parking lots. I'm coming from a 1500, so I know its a whole new setup, but that is all I have to compare it to. If I put a bottle of water in the cup holder it looks like impact tremors and the water dances, not a lot but not smooth.

The other issue is when I'm driving, it is mostly a smooth ride, but sometimes it like to bounce like I'm on a washboard. It shakes the man boobies quite a bit, haha. I'm running Falken Wildpeak tires set at 65PSI in the front and 60PSI in the rear.

Any thoughts on what could be causing either of these issues? I couldn't find anything when I searched.

I have a 21 power wagon and have the same symptoms. Had it checked out by the dealer a few times and there is nothing that explains it -- codes, Fuel trims, etc. I notice the "rough" idle more during a certain temperature range and just learned to live with it. I suspect a temperature related sensor in the engine, but who knows.

I also have the bouncy ride feeling. It is 100% the road and tire pressure. I only feel it on one long stretch of highway, and it has greatly reduced since reducing the rear tire pressure.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I have a '21 Power wagon with 30K miles on it now.

I too notice an occasional rough idle. Maybe not as bad as yours.

As for the ride, drop you air pressures down to say 45 front/35-40 rear and try that.

65/60 is way too high, even if your truck is fully loaded at max capacity.

Some roads, there's nothing you can do about it.

Tater86

Reaction score
I have a '21 Power wagon with 30K miles on it now.

I too notice an occasional rough idle. Maybe not as bad as yours.

As for the ride, drop you air pressures down to say 45 front/35-40 rear and try that.

65/60 is way too high, even if your truck is fully loaded at max capacity.

Some roads, there's nothing you can do about it.
Will do, thanks!

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
2500 or 3500? I'm still waiting for warmer weather to install but many reports of improved rear ride quality in 2500s.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I run my 3500 Cummins at 60F/50R unloaded (Falken 285/65R20).

Tire pressures are WAY to high for your truck.

Regardless, my CCLB is weird and bouncy on expansion joints here in Colorado on that POS they call I-25.

Razzman

Reaction score
I run my 2500 Cummins at 62F/50R with Falken 285/65R20 as well. Has worked perfectly so far, when towing the trailer I bump to 65/65. I too came from a 1500 and my 2500 CCSB bounces a bit now and then too, just what it does.

Tater86

Reaction score
I dropped to 55F/57R based on a tire calculator and that made it worse. At 40MPH is constantly bounced and never let up

jetrinka

Reaction score
Let the engine break in a little bit before you judge anything. As the rings seat to the cylinder walls vacuum and efficiency should improve resulting in a more even power balance across all 8 cylinders.

As far as the vibrations going down the road there's been many people complaining about it. Nobody has found a solution but I think a lot of it is subjective as well. My PW bounces on uneven roads and expansion joints on highways - moreso than my 01 Cummins did - but it doesn't bother me or feel out of place for such a heavy vehicle.

Aaandroger

Reaction score
I dropped to 55F/57R based on a tire calculator and that made it worse. At 40MPH is constantly bounced and never let up
If you are unloaded, your rear tires are still too high. The front PSI should be higher than the rear to compensate for the weight of the engine. If you have nothing in the rear, you should drop the rear lower than the front as recommended by everyone above.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Your tire calculator is wrong or you went off the wrong weights. You should be around 45F/35R unloaded as per inflation charts

Users who are viewing this thread