Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotating & Alcoa Rims

pinco

Reaction score
Wow, did I make a mistake.
2020 ram3500 dually with Alcoa rims.

I went to rotate as per manual.
Swapped front to back etc. I noticed a lot of brake dust & grime expected. Torqued them on, then went to clean them. After getting the heavy brake dust off, I noticed that the rims seemed rougher, had machining marks, and also were duller.

turns out that the rims are only polished on one side, and you’re not supposed to rotate them for that reason. I’m sure running the polished side on the inside could mess them up too.

I read that dismounting the front tires from the rims, and swapping them from left to right etc was the way to go? That way they spin in the same direction, but wear on the opposite side of the tread.

I’m pissed and hope, I can get the polished side clean like new again, after rotating them back

thoughts?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Wow, did I make a mistake.
2020 ram3500 dually with Alcoa rims.

I went to rotate as per manual.
Swapped front to back etc. I noticed a lot of brake dust & grime expected. Torqued them on, then went to clean them. After getting the heavy brake dust off, I noticed that the rims seemed rougher, had machining marks, and also were duller.

turns out that the rims are only polished on one side, and you’re not supposed to rotate them for that reason. I’m sure running the polished side on the inside could mess them up too.

I read that dismounting the front tires from the rims, and swapping them from left to right etc was the way to go? That way they spin in the same direction, but wear on the opposite side of the tread.

I’m pissed and hope, I can get the polished side clean like new again, after rotating them back

thoughts?
Just swap em left to right no dismount, keep your alignment in check you will be fine..... one reason i prefer steel wheels on a dually with simulators

pinco

Reaction score
Just swap em left to right no dismount, keep your alignment in check you will be fine..... one reason i prefer steel wheels on a dually with simulators
Won’t dismounting and flipping the tires around yield twice the mileage? Maybe it’s not worth accumulative cost of dismounting/ remounting / balancing plus the chance of them getting scratched up?
This is my first dually with Alcoa rims, and while they’re beautiful, this part sucks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Won’t dismounting and flipping the tires around yield twice the mileage? Maybe it’s not worth accumulative cost of dismounting/ remounting / balancing plus the chance of them getting scratched up?
This is my first dually with Alcoa rims, and while they’re beautiful, this part sucks.
Wont make a difference really best bet is swap the fronts for the inner rears at about 1/2 tread.

pinco

Reaction score
Unfortunately the inner rears are black steel

RossT

Reaction score
after reading this, I checked my new dually wheels out. It's the night edition, wheels are polished on the back. They're nasty with road grime and brake dust, but can be cleaned and rotated.

Users who are viewing this thread