Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roof Racks

SL1

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the thule, yakima or rhino clamp on roof racks for a bare roof ram 2500? I need someway to haul a couple of light weight kayaks when I pull the trailer without braking the bank. Thought I would ask first. Im a bit worried about the clamps on the paint as well as taking the rack off and reinstalling all the time. I looked at the racks for the back of the trailer but they are pretty pricey comparatively. Interested in the good and bad.
thanks

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I have a pair of the Rhino Rack 2500 series bars. I used them on my Omaha Orange 1500 for a few years, moved them to my Black Pearl 2500 for a couple of years and now use them when needed on my Billet Silver 2500. I've always been super careful about ensuring everything is clean when putting them on and have never had an issue with the paint on any of the 3 trucks (though I haven't needed them much since I went up to the 8' bed this time around).

Reactions: SL1

davidh1329

Reaction score
I have a set of Thule bars on a 2020 2500 CC that carry a couple of cheap kayaks. The feet are well padded and I have noticed no marks on the paint. They are not hard to put on and take off. The hardest part was figuring out which parts to order off the Thule website.

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
I have a set of Thule bars on a 2020 2500 CC that carry a couple of cheap kayaks. The feet are well padded and I have noticed no marks on the paint. They are not hard to put on and take off. The hardest part was figuring out which parts to order off the Thule website.
I agree with figuring out the parts on the Thule website and other sites. I ended up ordering the fit kit for the newer style EVO feet, while I have the old style Rapid Traverse feet which are now discontinued. Now I'm trying to find the old style fit kit so I can use the rack next week

cbrenthus

Reaction score
I had a Yakima rack for my 2011 Camaro that I used several times, and eventually changed the feet and put it on my silverado. As mentioned, I would always make sure the roof and feet were clean before putting the rack on, and I kept the rubber feet bottoms in a ziplock bag when not in use to keep them clean. Never had an issue, other than getting a TON of flack when I posted pics on the Camaro forum back in '11 :D

I would be less concerned about marring the paint on a 2500 because honestly, when would you see it? Your aren't looking at the rood every time you get in like a Camaro.

I'm also curious to see what parts people have used for these racks as Yakima and Thule don't show anything on their website for Ram 2500 roof racks, or at least I couldn't find it.

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
I agree with figuring out the parts on the Thule website and other sites. I ended up ordering the fit kit for the newer style EVO feet, while I have the old style Rapid Traverse feet which are now discontinued. Now I'm trying to find the old style fit kit so I can use the rack next week
I never found the correct fit kit for the old style feet, so I ended up buying the new style EVO feet. Here's a pic with the rack installed and kayaks mounted so I could tow my 5th wheel.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1050658733~2.jpg
    Snapchat-1050658733~2.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 35

Users who are viewing this thread