Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roof/Cab kayak rack input

Rgpracer

Reaction score
Well, I'm contemplating options on how to carry my kayak (LOL....AFTER I bought the damn thing) when pulling my 5th wheel.
I thought I had it all figured out but overlooked a couple things.

Ok, so, has anyone used a roof rack of any kind for the purpose of hauling a kayak? These racks that just hook onto the lip of the cab SEEMS to be quite flimsy and just so so secure. I know the companies put a lot of engineering into their designs.

What brand have you used and good/bad comments in your choice.

Thanks all and Happy New Year.

mkmsr

Reaction score
We're in the same boat...

But looking for a receiver hitch option for the kayak and bikes to go on the back of the 5er.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Rgpracer

Reaction score
We're in the same boat...

But looking for a receiver hitch option for the kayak and bikes to go on the back of the 5er.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Yea but, 12' kayak won't go verticle.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Sell it and buy an Inflatable Stand Up Paddleboard. While I love kayaks I find the iSup to be more user friendly. Storage, transportation, accessibility, visibility. I can haul it with my JK, truck, atv, GFs Subi or on my own back. Few minutes on my ViAir and I'm on the water.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Following. We don’t plan on a kayak since we have iSUP’s, but I’m always looking for better bike carrying ideas.

Firebird

Reaction score
Got this rack at Home Depot, when I realized my kayak was too long
20220327_125609.jpg

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I have a set of Rhino Rack Vortex bars that clamp to the door jambs that I've moved between my last three Rams. I've had way more weight than I'm sure I should have up there and have never had an issue with stability or strength.

Rgpracer

Reaction score
I have a Thule set-up for my truck. Installed it last year and have had no issues. My wife and I have 12ft sit-in kayaks. I purchased everything from Amazon, the pads and feet came from the European division (pricing is significantly cheaper than US), bars were warehouse deals.

That looks pretty cool MEZ....NO issue with the aft one coming loose?
Ray

Like to talk to you about it.

Rgpracer

Reaction score
I have a Thule set-up for my truck. Installed it last year and have had no issues. My wife and I have 12ft sit-in kayaks. I purchased everything from Amazon, the pads and feet came from the European division (pricing is significantly cheaper than US), bars were warehouse deals.

Since we have the same truck.....can you tell me which Thule you got....PN?
......"pads and feet came from European division, bars were warehouse deals".....would you explain this please?
Ray

MEZZ2006

Reaction score
Nothing has loosened up on the couple trips we've used it so far. All trips were 2hrs or longer. Here are some links - feet: Thule Evo feet, pads: Thule Evo pads. Both of these came from the Amazon Global Store UK. Shipping took a little longer, ~10days, but still free. The 60" square bar was an Amazon warehouse deal, basically an open box return. Total I have ~$260 into the rack system, everywhere else it would have run ~$500.

Last edited:

Rgpracer

Reaction score
Nothing has loosened up on the couple trips we've used it so far. All trips were 2hrs or longer. Here are some links - feet: Thule Evo feet, pads: Thule Evo pads. Both of these came from the Amazon Global Store UK. Shipping took a little longer, ~10days, but still free. The 60" square bar was an Amazon warehouse deal, basically an open box return. Total I have ~$260 into the rack system, everywhere else it would have run ~$500.

Thanks, links won't work.

Will call Thule tomorrow.

Rgpracer

Reaction score
Thule 710500 is the European part number for the feet on Amazon. Thule 141506 is the pad part number. Try these links: Thule Evo pads, Thule Evo feet

Thanks Sir, links works also.

Hardtop

Reaction score
Just another option to consider : *if* you had a front receiver, a Thule Goalpost hitch with the attachment for canoes/kayaks would ensure the kayaks gave you plenty of room the clear the Fiver with your short bed.

I've seen them from time to time carrying everything from kayaks to long ladders and rebar. Might make for a more secure anchoring point up front.

Ve3lfr

Reaction score
I built a grill protector first then welded tubes to slid in the support for the Kayak . I also set it up with removable bars to support the bikes on the front of the truck.

Attachments

• rack1.jpg
    rack1.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Rack2.jpg
    Rack2.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 39
  • rack3.jpg
    rack3.jpg
    828.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 289527332_1910264295833301_3241573067973860616_n.jpg
    289527332_1910264295833301_3241573067973860616_n.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 38

Ve3lfr

Reaction score
The front support will swing around so loading is easy , I put the Kayak in the saddle then walk it around to the side of the truck and place it on the roof , One person can do it. I also have put a 18 ft canoe instead of the kayak .

Rgpracer

Reaction score
The front support will swing around so loading is easy , I put the Kayak in the saddle then walk it around to the side of the truck and place it on the roof , One person can do it. I also have put a 18 ft canoe instead of the kayak .

That looks awesome.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread