Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rolling Bed covers

jebruns

Reaction score
The folks that have them seem to like them. Don't work for me as I often need the entire bed open. The Truxedo Sentry I have can be removed from the truck in under a minute, so that works better for me.

Last edited:

Eli77657

Reaction score
The folks that have them seem to like them. Don't work for me as I often need the entire bed open. The Truxedo Sentry I have can me removed from the truck in under a minute, so that works better for me.

Good point can someone that has one of these chime in on how easy it is to remove it? As when I need my full bed I’m coming from the house and know I’m going to need it

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I really wanted a retrax back in '20. Divorce, truck pmt etc left me choosing a inexpensive truxedo lopro soft cover. A few years later I've seen enough reports of opening issues on retractable covers. Plus the used ones I see always look trashed from dirt/snow/ice scraping across the top of it. Then the lost bed space. I'm glad I didn't accept the cost of entry on one of them. Just saying..

Eli77657

Reaction score
I really wanted a retrax back in '20. Divorce, truck pmt etc left me choosing a inexpensive truxedo lopro soft cover. A few years later I've seen enough reports of opening issues on retractable covers. Plus the used ones I see always look trashed from dirt/snow/ice scraping across the top of it. Then the lost bed space. I'm glad I didn't accept the cost of entry on one of them. Just saying..

These are the comments I want to hear

Sam 15

Reaction score
The hard cover I had on my f150 was a pace edwards switchblade, which looks and works exactly like the one in your rough country link. On my ram I went with retrax pro xr for the t-slots for accessories. When I bought the switchblade I got the one with the padded polymer over aluminum to save some money. In the desert heat the polymer only lasted about two years before it started cracking and looking like crap, but it served its purpose. I liked the pinch unlock under the cover because there was no need to pull out a key and unlock the cover to open it. The cover slid on rails opposed to bearings so it had to be lubricated often. Here is a link to a you tube.
They call the padded polymer armor tec in the video. If you go with this or the one from rough country I would NOT recommend getting the one with the aromr tec, get the full aluminum model.
With my ram I bought the retrax pro xr for the t-slots. it sits flat on the truck bed and does not have that little hump at the front of the bed like the swirchblade and rough country. The top slides on bearings which is nice, but I don't really care for the key lock on top of the cover and having to use a key to lock/unloc it every time I open/close it. If the retrax had the pinch unlock under the cover I would have definately gone that route. Here's a link to the retrax https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr
Make sure you look at the description for whatever cover you decide to go with especially if you have a rambox as the covers are specific to a rambox and regular box.

As far as easy on/off its not too difficult. Undo the rail clamps and remove it as one unit with the rails attached. It's a little bulky taht way but doable, eaiser with a second person, just a few minutes,

Users who are viewing this thread