Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ride quality change....

Mat_HD

Reaction score
Because most people do "fail". They have no idea what they are doing they just want a softer ride not realizing the implications of what they have done.

I agree with you there. Merely pointing out that SOME (read few) people who do it understand the potential consequences. Again, largely agree with you. Certainly would not be doing it to my personal truck if I was a hot shotter or consistently pulling 25k.

Millmutt

Reaction score
Ok, I love my truck, but, ride is harsh (yeah, I know it's a 2500 and not a 1500), so am changing my tires from the Firestonesp Transforce to Cooper AT3's and stock shocks to Fox IFP's........probably won't do both at same time ($$$).
Do you guys think this combination will give me a noticable overall change and also, thinking of doing shocks first......thoughts?
Thanks all
NO

Millmutt

Reaction score
Cheap way to make it ride nice is just keep 800lbs in the bed lol
I have a 900 lb hook lift system mounted in my bed, it may have made a little difference in ride but not a great deal. FYI it still isn’t enough payload to allow alternate trailer height to activate on my 3500.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have a 900 lb hook lift system mounted in my bed, it may have made a little difference in ride but not a great deal. FYI it still isn’t enough payload to allow alternate trailer height to activate on my 3500.
If you have air assist in a 3500 adding weight can actually make it worse as the air system is compensating for the weight to keep the truck at ride hight in that case you would be best to run it in alternate trailer height as the bags would run with almost no air trying to lower the suspension..... but a straight spring setup is a completely different animal lol

roegs

Reaction score
Easiest and cheapest to try first is lowering tire pressures - especially in the rear. If your driving around empty try the rears with 40 to 45 lbs and see how you like it. I think you'll be surprised at what a difference it can make. Others may have mentioned using a load range chart for your tires - just have to know what the front and rear axle weights are.

tnpete

Reaction score
Easiest and cheapest to try first is lowering tire pressures - especially in the rear. If your driving around empty try the rears with 40 to 45 lbs and see how you like it. I think you'll be surprised at what a difference it can make. Others may have mentioned using a load range chart for your tires - just have to know what the front and rear axle weights are.
What do you do with the TPMS when loweing the pressure that low? ASking because when my 22 3500 DRW gets built and Delivered. Sure want the lower air pressure. I-10 and I-20 in LA and Ms are murder anyway. So 500+ mile ride home, I will sure lower the air pressure. I also have the factory air bags.

Squatch

Reaction score
What do you do with the TPMS when loweing the pressure that low? ASking because when my 22 3500 DRW gets built and Delivered. Sure want the lower air pressure. I-10 and I-20 in LA and Ms are murder anyway. So 500+ mile ride home, I will sure lower the air pressure. I also have the factory air bags.
3500 doesn’t have tpms, at least my 2019 doesn’t. It has tpis that can tell you the pressure , but it won’t alarm like the 2500 does.

tnpete

Reaction score
3500 doesn’t have tpms, at least my 2019 doesn’t. It has tpis that can tell you the pressure , but it won’t alarm like the 2500 does.
Thanks I will find out on the 22 models. I know mine has it and got it for the trailer. But no ideal if dropping the air will set off an alarm on it.

roegs

Reaction score
One of the many beauties of a 3500!! ;)

If I remember correctly, the alarming can be turned either off or on....

tnpete

Reaction score
One of the many beauties of a 3500!! ;)

If I remember correctly, the alarming can be turned either off or on....
Thanks and learned something new today. Used to everyone we have screaming at us if its just a little low.

Ray Payne

Reaction score
Thanks and learned something new today. Used to everyone we have screaming at us if its just a little low.
I have a 2020 3500 SRW, and I have the tires set to 40 for the rear when I take the hitch out. At least with the 12” screen I can choose 40 for the rear and it only alarms if it goes below that. It may well be different on the DRW trucks. My truck also has the trailer pressure monitoring in case that makes a difference on features.

roegs

Reaction score
Thinking I learned something new also - never knew I could set the pressure I wanted and have it alarm. Gotta try it!

Ray Payne

Reaction score
When I did a quick Google search for the manual reference, I found a Ram product video that says HD doesn’t have a tire pressure alert. But I know when the sensor died on me, it did turn the whole dash red. So not I’m not sure if that is only the setting for the tire fill alert, or the low tire alert. I’ll be taking the hitch out next week. I’ll have to drop the rear tires to 40 psi without dialing the uconnect tire settings down and see if it will alert on low pressure, or if it was just because it stopped responding.

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
I got the AlfaOBD and dropped the pressure settings down to 50 front and back when unloaded. Then air up before adding any weight into the truck. You also need to reset the TPMs after making that adjustment.

Hockeydad55

Reaction score
I got the AlfaOBD and dropped the pressure settings down to 50 front and back when unloaded. Then air up before adding any weight into the truck. You also need to reset the TPMs after making that adjustment.
How do you reset the Tpms,just drive around a few miles?

OLEJOE

Reaction score
The 2022 2500’s will set the low tire alert off when you lower the tire pressure. Or atleast mine did. I have the front aired to 50 and rear to 45. They did reduce the pressure on the door placard from 60 F and 80 R on my 18‘ to 60F and 65R on the 22’ but the 18’ was a CTD and the new one a Hemi. Lower GWR.

Users who are viewing this thread