Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reverse Cams too bright

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I can control the screen brightness on my truck in reverse. I can't say that I have ever had an issue in any of my Ram trucks that have had a back up cam, 2014 thru 2022, being to bright in reverse.

I see other posts about it on GM forums and other Ram forums but nothing crazy like mutli pp le page threads..not that it's not a legit thing...but maybe user adjustment is needed.

When in reverse on my 2020 with the 12" neither of the two wheels will adjust the brightness. It also doesn't matter whether the lights are off, on, or in auto mode, the reverse screen is full brightness.

sstoner911

Reaction score
When in reverse on my 2020 with the 12" neither of the two wheels will adjust the brightness. It also doesn't matter whether the lights are off, on, or in auto mode, the reverse screen is full brightness.
Mine Screen does adjust..I can't say that there is a lot of adjustment...but you can see the screen dims and brightens with the wheel clostes to the steering wheel.

I would say that if it doesn't..it's not working as designed. But you probably need FCA to clarify...as mulch as going to the dealership for this issue is going to suck

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine Screen does adjust..I can't say that there is a lot of adjustment...but you can see the screen dims and brightens with the wheel clostes to the steering wheel.

I would say that if it doesn't..it's not working as designed. But you probably need FCA to clarify...as mulch as going to the dealership for this issue is going to suck

What you're showing, to my eyes, isn't "dim." It's still too bright.

Everyone has tried adjusting the brightness through the radio controls and also using the dash control wheel. It's not user error.

sstoner911

Reaction score
What you're showing, to my eyes, isn't "dim." It's still too bright.

Everyone has tried adjusting the brightness through the radio controls and also using the dash control wheel. It's not user error.
I don't know what to tell you. Maybe it's your eyes...

Maybe some are more sensitive to the screen and the brightness level?

It's obviously not an issue for everyone. But you can clearly see my screen brightness does adjust..maybe not as dim as you and the others need it to be.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you. Maybe it's your eyes...

Maybe some are more sensitive to the screen and the brightness level?

It's obviously not an issue for everyone. But you can clearly see my screen brightness does adjust..maybe not as dim as you and the others need it to be.

Are you calling me old?

sstoner911

Reaction score
Here is another video ...dimming the screen to 1, as mentioned doesn't Dim the back up camera..and probably doesn't Dim any of the other cameras either. I would think that would make it even harder to see the camera view.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
The first click of the wheel will dim it slightly in reverse. Turning the wheel further does nothing. It is way too bright.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
That video shows what I see as well. Goes from "staring straight into the sun bright" to "blinded by some a$$hat with 10 LED bars on bright". It does change ever so slightly, but when trying to use in a reversing situation when needing your mirrors, those two levels of brightness are incapacitating.

With nothing in tow and simply reversing into a driveway, parking spot, etc..., where the camera itself may be sufficient without the need of mirrors, it isn't too big of a deal.

sstoner911

Reaction score
That video shows what I see as well. Goes from "staring straight into the sun bright" to "blinded by some a$$hat with 10 LED bars on bright". It does change ever so slightly, but when trying to use in a reversing situation when needing your mirrors, those two levels of brightness are incapacitating.

With nothing in tow and simply reversing into a driveway, parking spot, etc..., where the camera itself may be sufficient without the need of mirrors, it isn't too big of a deal.
The videos are a little misleading - the brightness is very exaggerated in the videos.

Maybe someone could shoot a video to compare - the brightness has never \been an issue on the reverse camera for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread