Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reverse Cams too bright

Broccoli2

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 3500 with the giant screen. I hooked up my toy hauler and went to the desert. By the time I got there it was 10pm. I had to back up about 100 yards down a very skinny road/trail to get to my favorite spot in complete darkness. When I put the truck in reverse the screen went to full brightness. Pretty much exactly like having someone point a flashlight directly in your eyes while trying to back up your brand new truck and 30 foot toy hauler. I tried every thing to get it to dim with no luck. My wife had to hold up a jacket infant of the screen so I could see. I have looked all over the place trying to figure it out, Seams like others have the same problem and the only remedy is to cut the power to the cameras. This is insane. I have 4 other vehicles with back up camera and they all dim including my Jeep with U-connect. Please tell me someone has the answer. Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 9.06.42 AM.png

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
That’s a pretty truck.

question: were your headlights on (auto) or off?

on my 8.4 uconnect, I can go into my display settings and select “auto” or “manual” brightness.
If it is in “auto” and the headlights are manually turned off, the display goes to full brightness and cannot be changed.
if it is in “manual” and the headlights are manually turned off, you can adjust the brightness as desired.
In auto, with the headlights in auto, it is always at an acceptable brightness level (for me) unlike my 2016 duramax which was always the wrong brightness lol

hope this helps

Last edited:

Pronto

Reaction score
I checked it out and it looks like reverse mode has its own brightness setting that you can't adjust. Mine doesn't go full bright unless the headlights are off but they are brighter than what I have it set to. I'm guessing it's a software bug or oversight but it might also be the lawyers designing the truck. If you bring up the controls overlay and then shift into reverse, it will stay there but change in brightness too and give you something to do an apples to apples brightness comparison.

Broccoli2

Reaction score
I did exactly that. Put in reverse, then switched the lights on and off. It defiantly changes a little, a little. I guess if I was in the city with lots of street lights and a full moon it wouldn't be as bad but, in the desert in pitch blackness. It's still way too bright. This is an issue that needs to be resolved for sure. I really have no idea why you can't just turn the screen off altogether. I tried turning the screen off the put it in reverse and the screen comes back on and it won't turn off.

sstoner911

Reaction score
These are UC4 radios? In my UC 5 I can adjust both the brightness for when the headlights are on and off

Attachments

• 16437548902499146377665543040809.jpg
    16437548902499146377665543040809.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 13

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
These are UC4 radios? In my UC 5 I can adjust both the brightness for when the headlights are on and off

With them both turned all the way down, what brightness is the screen at night with the truck in reverse showing the tailgate camera?

That's the issue. It doesn't honor the screen brightness setting even in manual.

sstoner911

Reaction score
With them both turned all the way down, what brightness is the screen at night with the truck in reverse showing the tailgate camera?

That's the issue. It doesn't honor the screen brightness setting even in manual.
The screen is in dark mode at night. Even in reverse.

I'll take a pic tonight.

sstoner911

Reaction score
One thing I just thought of....the back up cam on the 8.4 is full screen - which its not on the 12" screen.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I can control the screen brightness on my truck in reverse. I can't say that I have ever had an issue in any of my Ram trucks that have had a back up cam, 2014 thru 2022, being to bright in reverse.

I see other posts about it on GM forums and other Ram forums but nothing crazy like mutli pp le page threads..not that it's not a legit thing...but maybe user adjustment is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread