Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revel air suspension rods on 2WD

CdnHO

Reaction score
My bedrails in my 2WD dually are too high for my fifth wheel. The fiver tows nose high by about 4 inches. I bought the Revel rods which are really made to lift the back of the truck by lengthened the rod. I needed shorter rods to the truck so I cut an inch off each rod to make them an inch shorter than the OEM factory ones. Just wonder how short I can go before I mess up the air bag system. Even an inch helps however. Anyone else done this?

Woodywoodpecker

I'M NOT YELLING
Reaction score
i have 2022 2wd laramie dually with auto leveling pulling a landmark newport only is 1 inch nose hi when using alt ht setting and have 7 inch bed clearance

CdnHO

Reaction score
i have 2022 2wd laramie dually with auto leveling pulling a landmark newport only is 1 inch nose hi when using alt ht setting and have 7 inch bed clearance
I think older fifth wheels have lower pins. newer trucks have higher bed rails. my fiver is 2008. my hitch is at its lowest setting. bed rail clearance is fine. even lowering the back of the truck a small amount will make a difference.

Woodywoodpecker

I'M NOT YELLING
Reaction score
I think older fifth wheels have lower pins. newer trucks have higher bed rails. my fiver is 2008. my hitch is at its lowest setting. bed rail clearance is fine. even lowering the back of the truck a small amount will make a difference.
can you raise the pin box on the 5er? i had to raise my pin box and lower the hitch

Woodywoodpecker

I'M NOT YELLING
Reaction score
did some checking from what i found your axles are on top of springs. If it was me i would have axle moved to bottom of springs. Most 5ers have axles on bottom of springs. That would fix your problem for sure

CdnHO

Reaction score
Flipping the axles would fix the level issue but create even more problems. The MorRyde suspension would require major surgery on suspension, hydraulic brakes, and shock mounts. Shortening the air bag sensor rods would be the cheapest and easiest route. Just not sure how far I can take it before I get suspension warnings.

Last edited:

Woodywoodpecker

I'M NOT YELLING
Reaction score
Flipping the axles would fix the level issue but create even more problems. The MorRyde suspension would require major surgery on suspension, hydraulic brakes, and shock mounts. Shortening the air bag sensor rods would be the cheapest and easiest route. Just not sure how far I can take it before I get suspension warnings.
I totally understand. the alt ht is 1-11/2 lower than standard ht when loaded. I would think if ram thought it was ok they would have had lower settings. That being said its going to be trial and air. AS i said before i would raise trailer. that is what i have done in the past its alot of work but the best and safeist way.

Woodywoodpecker

I'M NOT YELLING
Reaction score
if you decide to lower your rear air bags let me know how it worked and how much lower you went. Did it change ride comfort any.

CdnHO

Reaction score
if you decide to lower your rear air bags let me know how it worked and how much lower you went. Did it change ride comfort any.
I have shortened the rods an inch. Has not affected the ride unloaded. Will know more when I hitch the fifth wheel. 5200 lb pin weight.

Woodywoodpecker

I'M NOT YELLING
Reaction score
I have shortened the rods an inch. Has not affected the ride unloaded. Will know more when I hitch the fifth wheel. 5200 lb pin weight.
sounds good. could you let me know how it rides when loaded and fender opening ht loaded

CdnHO

Reaction score
sounds good. could you let me know how it rides when loaded and fender opening ht loaded
The way it is constructed, it looks like a 1 inch shortening of the rod will result in 1 inch lower ride height than stock at both normal and Alternated Trailer Height. If I don't generate any error codes, I will be happy. I don't think I will see any codes as I am pretty sure ride height info comes from the sensor at the end of the rod. Will know when I get my arm out of a cast and hitch it to the trailer.

Last edited:

Woodywoodpecker

I'M NOT YELLING
Reaction score
The way it is constructed, it looks like a 1 inch shortening of the rod will result in 1 inch lower ride height than stock at both normal and Alternated Trailer Height. If I don't generate any error codes, I will be happy. I don't think I will see any codes as I am pretty sure ride height info comes from the sensor at the end of the rod. Will know when I get my arm out a cast and hitch it to the trailer.
sorry to hear about your arm. Let me know how it goes when you can try it with rv hooked up

CdnHO

Reaction score
sorry to hear about your arm. Let me know how it goes when you can try it with rv hooked up
Got my fifth wheel hooked up with 5K pin load. No error messages. Using alternate trailer height. Links are 1 inch shorter than stock. Appears to lower wheel opening an inch. Will be on the road tomorrow but don’t anticipate any issues.

Woodywoodpecker

I'M NOT YELLING
Reaction score
Got my fifth wheel hooked up with 5K pin load. No error messages. Using alternate trailer height. Links are 1 inch shorter than stock. Appears to lower wheel opening an inch. Will be on the road tomorrow but don’t anticipate any issues.
thanks for the info. let me know if it rides any differently than before

CdnHO

Reaction score
thanks for the info. let me know if it rides any differently than before
Got back from 400 mile trip. Rode fine. Down an inch compared to before installing the links. Still getting “ride height sensors circuit signal amplitude below minimum “ error on both side when I scan for codes. These don’t show on the cluster. About half way through the trip I got a “Service air suspension system” indication on the cluster and a ”Left Mechanical linkage failure“ code. Disappeared when I dropped the trailer at 200 miles and it never reappeared. Link was fine. I will try adjusting the link to 3/4 inch instead of 1 inch and see if that doesn’t get rid if the messages. Regardless the lower ride height worked.

Woodywoodpecker

I'M NOT YELLING
Reaction score
Got back from 400 mile trip. Rode fine. Down an inch compared to before installing the links. Still getting “ride height sensors circuit signal amplitude below minimum “ error on both side when I scan for codes. These don’t show on the cluster. About half way through the trip I got a “Service air suspension system” indication on the cluster and a ”Left Mechanical linkage failure“ code. Disappeared when I dropped the trailer at 200 miles and it never reappeared. Link was fine. I will try adjusting the link to 3/4 inch instead of 1 inch and see if that doesn’t get rid if the messages. Regardless the lower ride height worked.
thanks for the info. will keep info for future info. may do this mod. what are you using to ck and erase codes with

Users who are viewing this thread