Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repeated dead batteries - possible UConnect issue? Help diagnosing?

MCV

Reaction score
2020 Ram 3500 Tradesman, 6.7 HO diesel
dual batteries, dual alternator 440-amp, Uconnect 3, 5". No electrical modifications from factory.

On at least 10 occasions my batteries have been dead during first 14 months of ownership (purchased new Dec 2020). Seems very erratic, sometimes dying overnight, but almost always being dead if I have not driven the truck for 5+ days. Typically 100% discharged, such that there are zero interior lights, the key fob won't work, etc. I can successfully jump start (eventually) and the batteries then rapidly recharge with my dual alternators. A RAM dealer in Missoula said they had observed the issue with the Uconnect radio repeatedly attempting some update, but that often the flash for this radio required more than 12 hours!? .... I could not leave the vehicle for that long, so I later scheduled service in Colorado and left the vehicle for 4 days for evaluation and service. I was texted by the service advisor that indeed the radio was causing an intermittent phantom voltage draw (and causing the radio to irritatingly start-up at maximum volume, etc) but that a software update resolved the problem. (This contradicts the paperwork given to me that says they only observed 50-90 milliamp draw, and that I must keep the AUX switch shut off overnight regardless that nothing was plugged into it.) Unfortunately, my batteries were 100% dead after the truck was unused for five days after the service. The AUX switches were off as advised, and nothing plugged into the USB ports. Dual batteries should not 100% deplete in 5 days! The batteries reportedly test good (according to dealer), despite having been 100% discharged at least 6 or 7 times, and highly drained an additional 3 times. When the AUX switches are off (turning off the LED indicator lights), reportedly zero draw is observed on parasitic battery drain tests, perhaps supporting a hypothesis that it is a "computer-related" like UConnect trying to do an update at 3 am or something. But even this shouldn't pull enough amperage to kill dual batteries?

Of course, we have confirmed no interior lights left on. No glove box or underhood light in Tradesman. No added device like phone or GPS or camera. Battery cables seem tight; ground cables seem secure; no visually obvious frayed or damaged wiring based on a quick under-hood exam.

I have read from other RAM/Jeep/Dodge owners that they have had similar issues caused by the Uconnect radio, requiring a full replacement. Others have claimed that RAM got a batch of bad batteries. I have also read that discharging the auto batteries 100% flat at least 6 or 7 times will have done so much permanent damage to them that they will have permanently lost capacity. But dealer claims they are good.

I have been in contact with the service manager and he is willing to take the truck back in for further diagnostics. But I am >100 miles away, and the dealer won't provide an overnight loaner, and RAM has previously refused to pay the full cost of a rental car during previous warranty/recall service attempts. The service manager said he has never heard of a Uconnect radio causing an unusual parasitic draw, although his technician apparently documented it, based on the text messages I was sent. @RamCares was unable to help other than suggesting I take it to a dealer for evaluation.

I hate to have a brand new vehicle that is entirely untrustworthy. It seems to be a crap shoot as to whether the truck will start if I've left it parked overnight. Always starts perfectly with strong batteries if attempted within 12 hours. Sure, I can purchase a battery tender to solve my problems at home where I can plug it in overnight. But I'd like to be able to have a vehicle reliable enough to go on an overnight trip without being stranded.

Anyone out there been down this road that can offer some advice? Since it remains under warranty, I had hoped that RAM would solve it. However, I suppose I could start pulling fuses to disable the UConnect or something like that? Or I could purchase 2 new batteries out of pocket to see whether that helps. Or is there a more straightforward approach compared to trial and error, when error means being stranded somewhere? Is there an automated "battery isolator" approach that allows one of the dual batteries to be reserved just for starting the truck and prevent it from being drained?

Thanks for any input if you've experienced the problem

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
Kinda the same problem. 2020 tradesman with 125K miles. Was up in Minnesota last weekend, went to the truck and dead. Put about 2500 miles on it that week. Ended up taking a taxi to auto zone and purchasing two new batteries, I can't risk driving a vehicle I can not trust to start in the morning. I live in the truck during the week. Might be dangerous in sub freezing weather if I can't start and run the truck.

I did see that these batteries are 3 year/ free replacement. Anyone think RAM will reimburse for cost of batteries?

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
From what I have researched, the diesel needs both batteries for starting. High Amp draw to get the engine to turn over.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Interesting. Last year that happened with my 2020 while on an out-of-state fishing trip. Truck was stopped after a 990 mile trip and sat for 5 days. Went to start it and the batteries were drained. It took a charge and has never done it since. My service manager said he had seen this before, where for some reason the radio lights stay on and drain the batteries. Other than that he had no other info, fix or ideas.

Since then, I have tested the batteries several for any draw over 5 days, and they have been perfect.

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
I shut down Friday evening about 1700 hrs after 450 miles and battery was dead Saturday lunch time. Less than 24 hours. It was around zero degree's so expecting that had something to do with it.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
From what I have researched, the diesel needs both batteries for starting. High Amp draw to get the engine to turn over.
One battery can start them. High amp draw is when the grid heater switches on.

MCV

Reaction score
Here is a status update: @SMK Shoe , in answer to your question, Stellantis would NOT let me replace the batteries myself and get reimbursed. Instead, I had to take it to the 3rd RAM dealer (all ~ 100 miles from Moab). Stellantis did reimburse a nominal fee toward a rental car, but the remaining share I had to pay for more than a week rental during the diagnosis exceeded the cost to just buy the batteries out of pocket. However, the 3rd dealer did eventually document an enormous but intermittent draw with the vehicle off. It disappeared the moment they disconnected the passenger-side battery. This was apparently sufficient evidence that there was a defect within that battery, and it was replaced under warranty. I remain concerned that having depleted the other battery 100% a dozen times will have done permanent damage to its capacity, but Stellantis would not approve of replacing it. The good news is that the truck has started reliably since the battery replacement. HOWEVER, I have been so busy that the truck has not sat for more than 2 days without being needed in action. And starting is easier in summer weather. So I can't confirm it will last 7 days, nor confirm how it will perform in cold weather when pre-heating draw is greater. But it is a definite improvement over the previous situation in which it would often be dead the following morning. I am grateful to have a more usable truck

The UConnect radio still erratically starts at max volume on a different station/band (sorry neighbors), and the regional dealers still claim they can't get parts for the fuel pump recall. But at least I'm slowly making progress.

Users who are viewing this thread