Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove lower fender trim to install side steps?

sjcrawford42

Reaction score
Last week I bought a '22 Ram 2500 Laramie Night edition that was sorely lacking certain things-steps, bed liner, etc. The steps were the first thing on my list so I caught NFAB's sale to get their wheel-to-wheel Podium side steps. At $600 delivered for black textured stainless w2w with big steps, I like them but I'm not sure they are going to work (HPD15103CC-6-TX). I've seen this issue a couple times on the forum after searching, but none of the others have been answered.

When I try to line up the mounting holes on the steps, the front of the bar that sits against the rocker panel hits the lower front fender trim piece.20230103_113611.jpg

I contacted NFAB hoping there was some mix-up but they said I would have to remove the trim, but they were unaware of the issue. I hate the idea of that, but gave it a try this evening. Turns out this is part #68362312AC and called a front lower fender spat. Removing it is easy, but it leaves a hole into the rocker panel right behind the wheel. I have husky mud guards coming that would cover the hole, but I realized most of the molded mud guards like this also need the trim piece to mount against. 20230103_175338.jpg20230103_175343.jpg

Anyone else encounter this when mounting steps? Do certain trucks/trims not have such a large plastic piece at the bottom maybe? What's your take?

I was also looking at the Westin HDX drop step but decided to save over $300 and get these. Now I am wondering if any of this style step would fit without modification.

Thanks for the input.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
No experience with those, but I tried the Westin’s for my 22 and returned them. Between the lower bed trim, the 50 gallon tank, and other general figment issues it just wasn’t meant to be.

I ended up with cab length steps since I couldn’t find any W2W steps that worked. I am very happy with my Go Rhino steps.

Last edited:

snikwah_30

Reaction score
I have those same steps mounted on my truck. The driver side just barely touches that plastic piece. The passenger side clears everything for me.

Could be some sort of tolerance issue from truck to truck and step to step maybe?

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

sjcrawford42

Reaction score
I have those same steps mounted on my truck. The driver side just barely touches that plastic piece. The passenger side clears everything for me.

Could be some sort of tolerance issue from truck to truck and step to step maybe?

Thank you for letting me know! Any chance I could get a close-up pic or anything where that is clear? I think it would go a long way with support. I have found a couple other examples online with the havoc hs3 and these steps where the bar does not seem to go as far forward as mine-I'm wondering if it's their tolerances here.

TxRam

Reaction score
I'll take pics up under mine tomorrow (drove the bike to work), but, I didn't have to remove anything other than the random pieces of tape covering holes. It was the same on the 2020 that I bought the steps for, and the 2022 they're currently on. Both are Tradesman.

snikwah_30

Reaction score
So turns out I actually do have a bit of clearance on the driver's side (pic with bar on right side).

I do remember when I installed it that it was very tight. Could have settled over the last few months I suppose. Both side fit close to the plastic trim.20230104_205225.jpg20230104_205302.jpg

Attachments

• 20230104_205302.jpg
    20230104_205302.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 5

Gin

Reaction score
I am having the same issues with my 22 Power Wagon. How did you remove the front Spat? I removed the visible screw but it still seemed to be firmly attached. Also did you have to remove the lower bed trim? Thanks for any information you can provide.

b307a1

Reaction score
I am having the same issues with my 22 Power Wagon. How did you remove the front Spat? I removed the visible screw but it still seemed to be firmly attached. Also did you have to remove the lower bed trim? Thanks for any information you can provide.
There are also 2 clips on the bottom of the spat. If I remember correctly pull the bottom out straight toward you. If you break it a new spat only costs $9.85 list.

Reactions: Gin

sjcrawford42

Reaction score
I should have updated this with pics already-I ended up sending back these steps for various reasons but mine were imperfect anyway. Once you remove the screw, the spat can be pulled straight out horizontally though I would wiggle it real good too. If you had access to the top of the clips, you could just use needlenose pliers to remove them but that's not really doable here. Once installed, there is a sliver of a gap between the lower spat and the bar, so with enough hands you should not have to even remove this, but it makes things a bit easier. Ultimately, I went with Westin R5 steps. I prefer a runningboard anyway, but the install for these had lots of other issues and was like assembling ikea furniture (hours of it).

sjcrawford42

Reaction score
Tight clearance!
1675915184057.png
Installed....seemed to bend at end, and I had a bubble under the paint so I sent them back. Also decided I needed full running boards after test fit.
1675915242341.png

What I went with (Westin R5). Very stable but extremely finicky install. They also originally came with some bad brackets that would have wrecked my rocker panel but westin sent me new ones. $200 more unfortunately.
1675915315420.png
1675915330545.png

Users who are viewing this thread