Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove, disable, render inoperable all telematics and other data sending signals

jsalbre

Reaction score
Toll tag should go too, I know that houston has transponders in the overhead freeway signs to read your toll tags. Its how they measure the speed of traffic flow on freeways (good way to do automated ticketing in the future)
Removing the transponder won’t help, most toll systems track via license plates as well.

thecastle

Reaction score
That's right, if your on the toll way. What I was talking about is on non-tolled roads in Houston they still monitor the toll tags on your vehicle to determine traffic speeds and or slowdowns/incidents on the freeways.

In actualality where I live, you don't need a toll tag at all as the toll ways can do plate pass where you pay a higher fee but will toll you from taking pictures of your license plate. anyway the toll tags allow automated tracking here on local highways that are personally identifiable. We also have a lot of towns that have implemented plate recognition cameras. Not going down this rabbit hole.

I found this blog on deactivating the built in telemetry of the vehicle. http://sandsprite.com/blogs/index.php?uid=7&pid=462&year=2019
thread for up to 2022 https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/how-to-disable-uconnect-8-4-cellular-intrusion.2552829/

Something I also find concerning is if an owner sets up these remote access systems then sells the vehicle. The pervious owner could know your location, unlock, start and otherwise manipulate your vehicle. I wonder how many used ram buyer know this? I didn't when I first purchased mine.

mountainears

Reaction score
A car is no different than a smartphone these days. First, any site or app you use. The real value to the app is the data they collect, selling that data is more profitable than any app.

But also when you sell your smartphone you need to turn off any attacking that was enabled, remove all your passwords and factory reset the device. You need to do the same with your car. And the options to do are there.

Users who are viewing this thread