Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove, disable, render inoperable all telematics and other data sending signals

jsalbre

Reaction score
Toll tag should go too, I know that houston has transponders in the overhead freeway signs to read your toll tags. Its how they measure the speed of traffic flow on freeways (good way to do automated ticketing in the future)
Removing the transponder won’t help, most toll systems track via license plates as well.

thecastle

Reaction score
That's right, if your on the toll way. What I was talking about is on non-tolled roads in Houston they still monitor the toll tags on your vehicle to determine traffic speeds and or slowdowns/incidents on the freeways.

In actualality where I live, you don't need a toll tag at all as the toll ways can do plate pass where you pay a higher fee but will toll you from taking pictures of your license plate. anyway the toll tags allow automated tracking here on local highways that are personally identifiable. We also have a lot of towns that have implemented plate recognition cameras. Not going down this rabbit hole.

I found this blog on deactivating the built in telemetry of the vehicle. http://sandsprite.com/blogs/index.php?uid=7&pid=462&year=2019
thread for up to 2022 https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/how-to-disable-uconnect-8-4-cellular-intrusion.2552829/

Something I also find concerning is if an owner sets up these remote access systems then sells the vehicle. The pervious owner could know your location, unlock, start and otherwise manipulate your vehicle. I wonder how many used ram buyer know this? I didn't when I first purchased mine.

mountainears

Reaction score
A car is no different than a smartphone these days. First, any site or app you use. The real value to the app is the data they collect, selling that data is more profitable than any app.

But also when you sell your smartphone you need to turn off any attacking that was enabled, remove all your passwords and factory reset the device. You need to do the same with your car. And the options to do are there.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
My new ram 3500 finally arrived and I got a ton of emails today. One from att (thanks for selling my info to them) asking to sign me up for a $20 truck hotspot, then asking me to sign me up for a connected services app etc.

I called ram connected services told them I want to opt out of all data sharing and don’t want the SOS button to work, nothing. She said I already had an account, but needed my app download to work. She closed the account and said no data would be shared without an account and the sos function or other items on the truck are disabled. We will see if that’s true when the truck is delivered, will try that out and let you all know, lol

This is the email I got from them- hopefully it works IMG_0957.png them

mountainears

Reaction score
I can’t imagine the feeling of someone who crashes out somewhere, down the side of a road where they can’t be seen, their phone somewhere they can’t reach and they wake up and think oh damn, I wish I hadn’t turned off that SOS button…. Sure it’s a long shot but not something I’d want to experience.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I can’t imagine the feeling of someone who crashes out somewhere, down the side of a road where they can’t be seen, their phone somewhere they can’t reach and they wake up and think oh damn, I wish I hadn’t turned off that SOS button…. Sure it’s a long shot but not something I’d want to experience.
I can’t imagine having an SOS button …

thecastle

Reaction score
Congrats on killing one source of unwelcome telemetry/tracking! Its a shame that RAM is profiting from selling your information to insurance companies, law enforcement and anyone else who will pay money for the data. Too bad RAM doesn't comp you in anyway.

What I see are additional tracking/leak sources that need to be considered beyond killing the on-board LTE/ tracking from ram....
1) Toll Tags (can be ready remotely in many cases)
2) License plate covers to block all of these new automated plate readers from flock "safety"
3) Cover your VIN on the windshield, apparently many of the toll cameras (from reading on the camera forms) are good enough to catch your VIN on the windshield
4) You're cell phone needs to be off (probably better for driving.......)
5) DO not use any insurance driving evaluator
6) probably some more, I've not been made aware of. Oh and your dealer can download driving telemetry when the vehicle is in for service.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I’ve owned a 98 camaro ss, 96 ram 2500, 03 ram 3500, 2009 scion xD, 2005 sprinter 2500, 2015 Toyota Highlander, 2018 JK, some classic cars and probably something I’m forgetting…none had any soy boy SOS buttons/tracking devices. What makes me mad is I was essentially forced to pay hundreds for this crap I don’t want. My father is lucky none of this junk was installed on his 22 during Covid due to the chip shortages and he got a $200 credit. I’d like to find an overhead console out of a Covid truck and just remove the sos button so I don’t need to look at the nanny state devices…

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Congrats on killing one source of unwelcome telemetry/tracking! Its a shame that RAM is profiting from selling your information to insurance companies, law enforcement and anyone else who will pay money for the data. Too bad RAM doesn't comp you in anyway.

What I see are additional tracking/leak sources that need to be considered beyond killing the on-board LTE/ tracking from ram....
2) License plate covers to block all of these new automated plate readers from flock "safety"
3) Cover your VIN on the windshield, apparently many of the toll cameras (from reading on the camera forms) are good enough to catch your VIN on the windshield
6) probably some more, I've not been made aware of. Oh and your dealer can download driving telemetry when the vehicle is in for service.
I don’t use the tolls so no use for those- what burns me are many of those roads were tax payer funded so I need to pay again to use.

Yup- vin is covered with a parking tag since some states have laws that intentionally covering it can allow a vehicle to be towed if the vehicle cannot be verified for a parking citation.

Flock cameras work- an area I patrolled had rampent burglaries and they have really cut down on them and found a lot of bad people with warrants, etc. but I don’t know if I like my information sold. Unfortunately in public we don’t have the right to privacy but my guess is flock sells this info and that’s not right.

Unfortunately, we all have phones and they track us but that’s one thing I wouldn’t be able to live without for $$$ reasons, lol

Hopefully the account deletion works, I’ll let you all know as soon as I get my hands on the truck lol

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

2. is illegal and you'll be ticketed by many jurisdictions.
4. LOL that you think a powered off phone isn't still tracking.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
2. is illegal and you'll be ticketed by many jurisdictions.
4. LOL that you think a powered off phone isn't still tracking.

Well if you place a parking tag from a lot and it partially obstructs the vin, that an easy ticket to appeal and likely doesn’t meet the vehicle code especially if the vehicle has valid plates on it.

Yea I’ve read many things that phones still transmit when off- it’s true. No more days of taking the batteries out of the Motorola RZR and they are essentially bricks

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if you place a parking tag from a lot and it partially obstructs the vin, that an easy ticket to appeal and likely doesn’t meet the vehicle code especially if the vehicle has valid plates on it.

Yea I’ve read many things that phones still transmit when off- it’s true. No more days of taking the batteries out of the Motorola RZR and they are essentially bricks

#2 was a license plate cover not the VIN tag.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Man, the level of fear some people have is hilarious. If they want to sell the data about my drives to the MTB park and Target then good for them. I like knowing that if my wife is in an accident someone is going to know about it.

As has been said before, no one is forcing you to buy anything with these features. If you don’t want them then vote with your $$ and don’t buy the vehicles that come with them.

Also, if you’re that terrified about tracking don’t forget to pull out your radio. It has Bluetooth and WiFi radios in it with their own unique IDs, and those can be (and are) tracked. While you’re at it better yank out your TPMS system (including sensors), keyless entry and start transceivers, and your key fobs, as all of those have unique IDs as well.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Man, the level of fear some people have is hilarious. If they want to sell the data about my drives to the MTB park and Target then good for them. I like knowing that if my wife is in an accident someone is going to know about it.

As has been said before, no one is forcing you to buy anything with these features. If you don’t want them then vote with your $$ and don’t buy the vehicles that come with them.

Also, if you’re that terrified about tracking don’t forget to pull out your radio. It has Bluetooth and WiFi radios in it with their own unique IDs, and those can be (and are) tracked. While you’re at it better yank out your TPMS system (including sensors), keyless entry and start transceivers, and your key fobs, as all of those have unique IDs as well.

Might as well just take the red pill and wake up.

:D

Safe and Sound

Reaction score
You don’t physically have to do anything on the truck. You can go on the site and opt out of everything, and they’ll kill the data connection remotely. Outside of that, you’d have to open up the radio module and remove the wireless card off the circuit board.

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I want to purchase a 2022 -2024 Ram 3500 Dually with the hi output Cummins. I want to turn off all the streaming and data that leaves the truck for privacy and health reasons. I have a family member with health issues and the electrical radiation from the cell/data streaming out of the truck is bad for their health. I can live without nav, bluetooth, telematics, black boxes etc. I found this thread on the internet and you seemed very knowledgeable.

I have basically three questions:

1} Can you turn off all of these streaming/data gathering systems? If you do does it impact the operation of the truck? Beyond not having nav, streaming music, emergency notification, etc.

2) Will Ram let you do this? Does it impact the warranty or your ability to get insurance?

3} Are there individuals or shops that do this? If so how do i find them? I am willing to pay for services or information.

If you can answer these questions or direct me to someone who can I would be very appreciative. I would be happy to share what I learn with this forum in case others might benefit.

Obviously most people do not seem to be impacted by their cell phone usage. But others are and some very severely.

Thanks,

Safe and Sound

jsalbre

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I want to purchase a 2022 -2024 Ram 3500 Dually with the hi output Cummins. I want to turn off all the streaming and data that leaves the truck for privacy and health reasons. I have a family member with health issues and the electrical radiation from the cell/data streaming out of the truck is bad for their health. I can live without nav, bluetooth, telematics, black boxes etc. I found this thread on the internet and you seemed very knowledgeable.

I have basically three questions:

1} Can you turn off all of these streaming/data gathering systems? If you do does it impact the operation of the truck? Beyond not having nav, streaming music, emergency notification, etc.
Your navigation system is only receiving a GPS signal. Even if you remove the antenna you’re still getting the same GPS signal, since the satellites are broadcasting it over the entire globe, not just to your vehicle.

If you have someone that really believes they’re affected by electromagnetic radiation then you’re better off with a different vehicle. These trucks are keyless start only, and that relies on an RF system that talks to the key fob. Probably 99.5% of currently available vehicles are the same.

Safe and Sound

Reaction score
That would be awesome.

I updated my sig, but below contains additional information:
2019 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4 6.7 Cummins
bucket seats with center console and wireless charging pad
towing tech group
sport package
level 2 group
8.4" nav
sirius xm
blind-spot sensors
clearance lamps
led bed lighting

Hello,

I am brand new to this forum. I found this thread on the internet and was impressed with your knowledge. I want to buy a Ram 3500 Dually with the hi output cummins to pull a fifth wheel that we will live in full time. I need to be able to turn off all the cell/data streaming from the truck for privacy and health reasons. The electromagnetic fields generated by the cell/data activity of the truck are harmful to the health of one of my family members.

My questions are:

1) Can all these external communication activities be turned off? nav, telematics, emergency response, blue tooth, etc. Does this impact the operation of the truck Beyond loosing the functions that are turned off?

2) Will Ram let you do this? Does it impact your warranty? Ability to get insurance?

3) Are there people or shops who do this? if so how do I find them. I am willing to pay for services and or information.

If you have information you could share regarding this I would be grateful. I will share what I learn with this forum in case it would be helpful to others.

Thank you,

Safe and Sound

Users who are viewing this thread