Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reliability as daily driver?

techman

Reaction score
Curious, if you don’t tow or haul anything, what are the benefits of a diesel?

I get this question a lot. I do have a towing need, but it represents probably 1% of my yearly mileage.

To be honest, I just wanted a diesel. I love all ICE powered vehicles and the diesel was one I just hadn't had yet. And if you have the means you should pick one up. Still on my ICE bucket list will be a Mazda rotary and something with a V12.

Get them while you can...the next generations will be talking about KW hours......ugh...

Enve46

Reaction score
Curious, if you don’t tow or haul anything, what are the benefits of a diesel?
For me at least, having TOO much truck in case my needs do change was a focal point of the diesel. Fuel economy, while minimal, was there. Torque. Resale- and yes I know Im spending more up front so Im not referring to the monetary resale value, just the ease of resale cause more people are wanting a 3/4 ton diesel. Relatively easy maintenance, again I know the costs, there's just less to mess with. And lastly, never had a diesel and wanted one. I bought my 22, job changed to mostly work from home so a lot of the appeal was gone. However, the TRX was a perfect truck but I missed the diesel. Now that Im moving north to TN, we are hoping to do more camping, traveling etc as theres more to see then flat land and swamp, a diesel makes a lot of sense.

I will conclude that WHEN Ram finally puts the 5th gen cab on the 3/4 tons, I may find myself in a Power Wagon. I love the mega cab size and the 5th gen crew cab is almost the same size in leg room in the rear. So, things may change for me in the future.

DrTron

Reaction score
Still on my ICE bucket list will be a Mazda rotary
Getting offtopic here but I drove a 1984 RX-7 with the Wankel rotary engine in the 90s. Can't really recommend. Horrible fuel mileage for the power it provided, and maintenance was insane. Including a new engine along the way.
Friend of mine still has a RX-8 sitting in the garage with a failed engine. The lips that seal the chambers just don't hold up, and when they break, they take the engine with them.

On the plus side, it did sound like you had a turbine up front.

jenninr

Reaction score
I am having this same debate right now. I only tow heavy enough for a 2500 a couple times a year and the gas engine would handle it. However, in the used market around here, for what I am looking for, there aren't many gas trucks and they are within 3-4k of a diesel so I am considering diesel just because of the greater pool of trucks to buy from.

Enve46

Reaction score
I am having this same debate right now. I only tow heavy enough for a 2500 a couple times a year and the gas engine would handle it. However, in the used market around here, for what I am looking for, there aren't many gas trucks and they are within 3-4k of a diesel so I am considering diesel just because of the greater pool of trucks to buy from.
That's a little odd, here in Fla the pricing is definitely different but if it's only 3-4k more for diesel, Id go diesel for sure.

techman

Reaction score
I owned 4 RX-7's over the years, really enjoyed them! The 1st generation 12A cars were my favorite

Yep, looking for a museum piece or restored 84-85 GSL-SE. Love them even with all their quirks!

Firebird

Reaction score
My 85 GS, with side draft Webbers, and custom exhaust was a blast to drive! Black with a red interior, and was in perfect shape. Never had a lick of trouble out of that car.

TXAG07

Reaction score
Get what you can afford and prefer to drive. Don’t worry so much about the reliability aspect. Wife stole my mega CTD from me because she loves the diesel and size of the truck vs her Land Rover. It makes 4-5 different trips per day, 60-80 miles as a kiddo/grocery getter. No issues. 25k miles.

Ramsfan

Reaction score
Hi, I will be moving to Boise, Idaho from San Diego and am wondering if someone would share with me what to expect when driving my diesel in Boise winters? If it's parked all day in the winter will I need to plug in a block heater for when I get off work? From what I understand, it rarely gets below 0 there. I read it's not good to idle for long periods of time, but in the cold? I love my ecodiesel and don't want to go to gas, but hmm? Any insights would be appreciated.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I'm in Spokane Wa. Weather is fairly close to what Boise gets. At my last job the truck would be parked outside overnight for 12 hours, below 0°, with a good wind blowing. I would hit the remote start about 4min before end if shift. Between the electric cab heater, preheater on engine, heated seats n wheel I was never cold. Ice/frost on WS would usually be clear by then too. Never had issues with starting or drivability either. After you get settled, take a ride up towards McCall if you've never been. Beautiful drive!

Mobrules

Reaction score
Daily drive mine, 23 mpg mixed, use high quality diesel, don't idle it, not currently towing anything, not a single hiccup with 9k miles at the 8 month mark.

Comfy, quiet, full of tech, drive it like a car. Love it.
I use mine pretty much the same.
Originally ordered 2022 DRW Limited Megacab for towing. Family issues changed my plans. I've only got just over 5k on it.
I absolutely love it and have no plans to change it. I love the ride, the power, and the tech. I have done several trips with it.

I also set the backseat up as a bed and with an ecoflow battery I am very comfortable.

So far no issues with the truck but not broken in yet.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I will be moving to Boise, Idaho from San Diego and am wondering if someone would share with me what to expect when driving my diesel in Boise winters? If it's parked all day in the winter will I need to plug in a block heater for when I get off work? From what I understand, it rarely gets below 0 there. I read it's not good to idle for long periods of time, but in the cold? I love my ecodiesel and don't want to go to gas, but hmm? Any insights would be appreciated.

I live in the Boise area and while I don’t use my CTD as a dedicated DD I have in the past.

If you’re going to DD the two best things you can do are a winter front and a block heater on a timer. Set the timer for 90 minutes prior to when you plan to leave.

Idle for no more than 30 seconds and drive easy until she is warm.

The winter front will help retain heat while parked at work.

Nothing to it.

In the 18 winters we have live here I can probably count on one hand the number of nights below 0°F in the valley, most are barely below 0° but had one night that went below -25°F… I didn’t have a grid heater installed nor did I plug the 05 in that night. Even with weak batteries she started, angry, but started.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
In the 18 winters we have live here I can probably count on one hand the number of nights below 0°F in the valley, most are barely below 0° but had one night that went below -25°F… I didn’t have a grid heater installed nor did I plug the 05 in that night. Even with weak batteries she started, angry, but started.

lol, that’s timing for ya…

image.jpg

henrys

Reaction score
I bought a '22 with a 6.7 cummins to replace my '03 5.9 cummins (with 300k miles) because the 5.9 had been so reliable as a daily diver. 20 years later and the cummins essentially hasn't changed all that much except adding some emissions crap... both even have a CP3. You can't say that for the other brands diesel powertrains. Also I don't tow heavy, I just know this engine is going to last and if something does happen I'll be able to fix it.

Ramsfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful replies. Puts my mind at ease. I am looking forward to a drive to McCall!

Ramster3000

Reaction score
I would get a gasser. I had an 18’ diesel 3500. Not a daily. Low miles and emissions probs. Swapped to an ordered 2500 gasser. Business needs changed and ended up towing 14k lbs a few times locally with my excavator and that made me order another 3500 diesel. With that said , as a business owner I would hands down not have a diesel if I didnt need it. The 2500 was rated for 14k and it would do it , but man it did not like it lol. Long distance , no way. Truck was fine, it just didnt have the power.
I towed a car hauler on a 4hr trip with a car inside, around 10k lbs and it was fine. I like to say “there’s guys that have had emissions problems and guys that will”.

Users who are viewing this thread