Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reliability as daily driver?

dado5

Reaction score
I have not had a diesel for a few years because I stopped towing heavy things. I am due for a new truck and want another diesel but max I tow is 5k lbs. and that is only occasionally. I mainly drive to work 18miles at 60mph, and go fishing and hunting. I have always thought that newer diesels with all the emissions junk on them needed to be run hard to work well. I am concerned about dealing with emissions related failures because of how I would use it. Do the new diesels run ok if not pushed hard? I really want to get back into another one but I don't want to deal with codes and running to the dealer constantly.

thanks

tchur1

Reaction score
I dont tow with my truck 6 months a year and thus far reliability has been great (knocking on wood). Hard is a relative term and idk what your daily driving habits looks like but make sure it gets up to temp when you drive it, dont idle it excessively, and run it on the highway when you get the chance and youll be fine.

Your use case aside, I think these new emissions systems are actually pretty reliable all things considered.

Firebird

Reaction score
I daily drive my dually, no issues in 28,000 miles, however, I do usually tow the camper 1x a month.

jebruns

Reaction score
I have not had a diesel for a few years because I stopped towing heavy things. I am due for a new truck and want another diesel but max I tow is 5k lbs. and that is only occasionally. I mainly drive to work 18miles at 60mph, and go fishing and hunting. I have always thought that newer diesels with all the emissions junk on them needed to be run hard to work well. I am concerned about dealing with emissions related failures because of how I would use it. Do the new diesels run ok if not pushed hard? I really want to get back into another one but I don't want to deal with codes and running to the dealer constantly.

thanks
Might want to look at some of the 1/2 ton 'baby diesel' options, given your requirements. I hear the baby duramax can pull 30mpg on the highway.

flan

Reaction score
18-20 miles is usually enough to complete a regen, I do my best to make sure regens go complete along my travels.

Brad460

Reaction score
I went back and forth for months trying to decide between a gas and diesel 2500..I drove both a few times. Talked with my friend (owns the Dodge dealer) and decided to go with the gas. The most I tow is 7000. Truck is a daily driver like you are doing..Cost was irrelevant..
My buddy who owns the dealer was very much against the diesel (as he knows all the DEF related issues)...
The gas engine was easier to drive around town..etc..was just more responsive.
So far I am happy with the gas- small city driving I am getting upper 14 mpg. Long hwy trips I am upper 17 mpg. Shorter hwy trips as good as 20 mpg.

We will be doing our first long tow trip coming up next week (7000 lbs boat) and so it will be interesting to see what kind of mpg I get.

I am coming from a Ram 1500.

Sometimes I wish I had a diesel, because I’ve always “wanted” a diesel (really no reason other than to say I have a diesel) but functionally/performance wise the gas has impressed me..

Last edited:

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I do about 24mi each way for work. Tow about 4-6k in the dump trailer once a month. Zero issues in my '19 with 24kmi(exc cp4 recall). I love the CTD, but doing my own maintenance has made it feel more cost effective.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
If you want a diesel, then purchase one. You’ll get different response. There’s always a risk of having emission isssus with current vehicles. You will be fine daily driving current diesel trucks. Only time you’ll run into issues if you city drive 100% of the time in traffic/ stop and go. You‘ll never complete a active regen.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you want a diesel, then purchase one. You’ll get different response. There’s always a risk of having emission isssus with current vehicles. You will be fine daily driving current diesel trucks. Only time you’ll run into issues if you city drive 100% of the time in traffic/ stop and go. You‘ll never complete a active regen.
That is not true at all you can very easily complete a regen in stop and go traffic

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You’ll have issues eventually. Sooner than later.
Nope thats not how the system works you wont have any issues unless there are issues with the truck. There are thousands of city delivery trucks that have no issues with their emissions… the constant accelerating wilds plenty of heat in the DPF to burn off soot

UGARude

Reaction score
Mine gets used in about the same way that you're talking about using one and I'm having emissions issues. It's throwing the "regen too frequently" code. I understand why it did it the first time but I've made adjustments since and it's still throwing the code. My commute is only about 12 miles each way and I don't tow anything as of right now (had planned on getting a boat was my reasoning for a 2500 originally) so I'm not sure that there's much else that I can do. I might be looking to go back to a gasser for this reason.

techman

Reaction score
Daily drive mine, 23 mpg mixed, use high quality diesel, don't idle it, not currently towing anything, not a single hiccup with 9k miles at the 8 month mark.

Comfy, quiet, full of tech, drive it like a car. Love it.

Enve46

Reaction score
I daily drove my 22 without any issues other than a self-inflicted EGR code. Probably should have kept that one but dumped it for my third TRX. Quickly missed the size of the mega cab so now Im back in a 19 limited mega cab. I dont tow or haul anything, a gas truck would have been fine for me but I didn't mind spending more up front to have the benefits of the diesel. I have since "shaken" off the worries of these new trucks and am very happy with how the truck drives. If its a worry for you and dont want to do any tuning, why not consider a clean, lower mileage 3rd gen? Ive found myself itching for one more and more

Brad460

Reaction score
I daily drove my 22 without any issues other than a self-inflicted EGR code. Probably should have kept that one but dumped it for my third TRX. Quickly missed the size of the mega cab so now Im back in a 19 limited mega cab. I dont tow or haul anything, a gas truck would have been fine for me but I didn't mind spending more up front to have the benefits of the diesel. I have since "shaken" off the worries of these new trucks and am very happy with how the truck drives. If its a worry for you and dont want to do any tuning, why not consider a clean, lower mileage 3rd gen? Ive found myself itching for one more and more
Curious, if you don’t tow or haul anything, what are the benefits of a diesel?

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Once you go black you never go back. (well almost)

I started out with gas many years ago. When I got my first diesel it was the torque that amazed me. Then I was amazed by the mileage. Then I discovered tuning and well that sold me. Plus at the time none of the gassers trucks could run with the diesels in our offroad group.

Fast forward to today and the gassers have come up in horsepower. The diesels have gone down in MPG. It is harder to tune the newer diesels with all the emissions. They still have the torque though. And if you tow at all, the exhaust brake is freaking awesome. So, for me, once you go black you never go back.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you go black you never go back. (well almost)

I started out with gas many years ago. When I got my first diesel it was the torque that amazed me. Then I was amazed by the mileage. Then I discovered tuning and well that sold me. Plus at the time none of the gassers trucks could run with the diesels in our offroad group.

Fast forward to today and the gassers have come up in horsepower. The diesels have gone down in MPG. It is harder to tune the newer diesels with all the emissions. They still have the torque though. And if you tow at all, the exhaust brake is freaking awesome. So, for me, once you go black you never go back.

Soot life.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Curious, if you don’t tow or haul anything, what are the benefits of a diesel?
Better fuel milage, longer vehicle life. Wonderful engine sound are just a few pluses. I also love the fact that if you park a diesel you can come back to it 6+ months after and start it right up no need to use fuel stabilizer or stuff like that. All my small equipment/ lawn tractor and such is all diesel as it requires almost 0 maintenance no need to change coils or plugs or other crap like that.

Users who are viewing this thread