Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regens at alarming rate!

Units

Reaction score
You might consider an OBD scanner that uses your phone when you want to view/monitor something. I use the OBDLink Mx+ and have dashboards set up to view EGT, DPF, and DEF info. I leave the scanner plugged into the OBD port, so I just pull the app up on my phone when I want to view something. Yes it's another screen to look at, but it's not always present.
What year is your truck? Is that EGT screen you posted a photo of a menu item using the OBD link?

Units

Reaction score
So it does not come up automatically, I would have to have the DPF gauge on? Thanks again.
Yes, you have to have the DPF level gauge up on the EVIC to see when it in auto regeneration.
I use the trip meter to track mine. Just reset it after it has completed one.

Blackpowder

Reaction score
What year is your truck? Is that EGT screen you posted a photo of a menu item using the OBD link?
2021 3500 Standard Output. That is a screenshot (Android phone) of my EGT dashboard in the OBD Link app. The truck was doing a timed regen while I was towing my travel trailer.

batman900

Reaction score
After 4 trips to the dealer, dad gave up & got the Ford. Mine did it's 48 hour regen this morning, I wouldn't have known but it was holding shifts so I clicked down and saw it was in auto regen. No smoke or smell, finished by the time I made it to work.

image000000.jpg

Ram7

Reaction score
After 4 trips to the dealer, dad gave up & got the Ford. Mine did it's 48 hour regen this morning, I wouldn't have known but it was holding shifts so I clicked down and saw it was in auto regen. No smoke or smell, finished by the time I made it to work.

View attachment 68698
Nice looking truck. What do you think of it compared to yours? I’m curious how often it regens. I read somewhere they do it every 500 miles or so compared to the 24 hr clock on ours but I could be completely wrong.

batman900

Reaction score
Nice looking truck. What do you think of it compared to yours? I’m curious how often it regens. I read somewhere they do it every 500 miles or so compared to the 24 hr clock on ours but I could be completely wrong.

He lives about 4 hours away so I haven't gotten to see it in person yet. He said it rides like a stiff wagon compared to his 2500 "leaf springs." He just couldn't live with the daily regens and cabin smoke smell anymore. He said his RAM looked better and it cost him a lot considering he just got the RAM 7 months ago. He just couldn't take the regen issues anymore and dealer wasn't getting anything figured out.

scdo

Reaction score
UPDATE

I picked my truck up yesterday after the DPF was replaced. They told me they tested it and it was no longe having an issue. From my reader, it appears it was 5 hours since last regen at pickup (not sure of miles).

It was at 10% on the dash but dropped to 0% in the first few miles of city driving. I’ve now driven 100 miles since pickup (mostly highway) and it did tip back up to 10% on the last few miles of my drive. My reader shows 7 hours since last regen.

Looking promising.

kfscoll

Reaction score
I hesitate to even mention this because I’ll surely jinx myself, but after I switched to using Marathon fuel, burning off the remainder of the BP fuel I’d been using, and omitting any additives, the DPF gauge on my truck hasn’t moved off of zero. This is even with 50/50 mixed city and highway driving. I’d say it’s acted this way for about the last 400 miles.

i find it hard to believe fuel could make such a huge difference in regeneration frequency but so far I’ve seen a marked improvement. The Marathon I go to is right next to a huge steel manufacturing/processing plant, so I’m pretty sure the fuel gets fairly regular turnover. Not only that, it’s crazy cheap — I’d say it’s easily 50-60 cents/gallon cheaper than any other gas stations in the region. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this behavior keeps up. Tomorrow I have to drive a 70-ish mile round trip, and I should hit another 24-hour timed regen along the way, so we’ll see what happens after that.

its just so weird since prior to my truck beginning to behave itself the gauge went from zero to 3/8 full in the space of about 30 miles which was very unusual. I figured either something finally broke hard or maybe I got a dodgy tank of gas. The jury is still out, but I know I won’t be returning to the BP I had been using. It definitely gets zero big-rig traffic, so who knows how long their fuel sits around.

Attachments

• IMG_1965.jpeg
    IMG_1965.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I hesitate to even mention this because I’ll surely jinx myself, but after I switched to using Marathon fuel, burning off the remainder of the BP fuel I’d been using, and omitting any additives, the DPF gauge on my truck hasn’t moved off of zero. This is even with 50/50 mixed city and highway driving. I’d say it’s acted this way for about the last 400 miles.

i find it hard to believe fuel could make such a huge difference in regeneration frequency but so far I’ve seen a marked improvement. The Marathon I go to is right next to a huge steel manufacturing/processing plant, so I’m pretty sure the fuel gets fairly regular turnover. Not only that, it’s crazy cheap — I’d say it’s easily 50-60 cents/gallon cheaper than any other gas stations in the region. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this behavior keeps up. Tomorrow I have to drive a 70-ish mile round trip, and I should hit another 24-hour timed regen along the way, so we’ll see what happens after that.

its just so weird since prior to my truck beginning to behave itself the gauge went from zero to 3/8 full in the space of about 30 miles which was very unusual. I figured either something finally broke hard or maybe I got a dodgy tank of gas. The jury is still out, but I know I won’t be returning to the BP I had been using. It definitely gets zero big-rig traffic, so who knows how long their fuel sits around.
Fuel made all the difference in my regen issue. My truck just completed its fourth consecutive 24 hour regeneration after switching from Sheetz to BP. Fuel can definitely be part of the equation. It may not be the only factor, but it is a factor nonetheless.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Fuel quality makes a big difference on these trucks especially with all of the emissions devices they have. In an older pre emissions diesel, you can burn just about anything you put in it but not the newer ones.
I’ve noticed the same phenomenon on my truck using Mobil Synergy fuel.

kfscoll

Reaction score
Funny you mention Sheetz fuel; we recently got a Thornton’s relatively close to my house and I used that twice until I figured out my truck really didn’t like it. These trucks are prima donnas are far as fuel goes!

mherbert999

Reaction score
Second occurrence of the CEL and P2459 code.

This was the breakdown of what the techs performed on the initial troubleshooting.

LoL, note the air filter number hahaha. It seems the system still calls out the AA filter.

Note, both the grid heater relay and PM sensor recalls were performed at the same time.

Same as others no active regens when towing. I watch as is passively regens under load.

I’ve been looking at other manufactures, each one has their own issues, Ram and these 22’s are just probably one of the more problematic.

I’ll give it 3 times at the dealer for the same issue and ya boy is seeking legal counsel.
Howdy. Only 2 CELs... Still a pup!! You are in for a ride of more CELs. And it will hurt. I have looked over the many many posts here on the problems. Sadly I fit the norm. My 2020 HO 3500 has hit 9 CELs. They have tried all the same crap - told me the filters they installed were wrong type, 3 filters, flashed 3 times, replaced EGR valve. I too see it only when not towing. 90% of my miles are towing! I just brought it back in as the soot level increased while at 75 mph and just gave me another CEL. I had only been out of the shop a few weeks for the same issue. This thing is not reliable and it is going to leave me in the middle of Nevada some day. Fast forward, I am 300 mi short of 60k and they tell me $3500 to replace the DPF system. This is total BS. My RAM warranty won't fix nor my extended warranty. Given the number of people posting here - over 40 pages I think we need to get someone to collect this info and create a class action. They told the DPF filter is a consumable! ARC223500 - checking back with you as you thought you might call a lawyer. Its been 3 weeks so I figure you have been back to dealer 3 times by now. :-( Any feedback on legal help? Lemon law is not enough on this. My next action is to feed this forum into an AI and have it do the summarization.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Howdy. Only 2 CELs... Still a pup!! You are in for a ride of more CELs. And it will hurt. I have looked over the many many posts here on the problems. Sadly I fit the norm. My 2020 HO 3500 has hit 9 CELs. They have tried all the same crap - told me the filters they installed were wrong type, 3 filters, flashed 3 times, replaced EGR valve. I too see it only when not towing. 90% of my miles are towing! I just brought it back in as the soot level increased while at 75 mph and just gave me another CEL. I had only been out of the shop a few weeks for the same issue. This thing is not reliable and it is going to leave me in the middle of Nevada some day. Fast forward, I am 300 mi short of 60k and they tell me $3500 to replace the DPF system. This is total BS. My RAM warranty won't fix nor my extended warranty. Given the number of people posting here - over 40 pages I think we need to get someone to collect this info and create a class action. They told the DPF filter is a consumable! ARC223500 - checking back with you as you thought you might call a lawyer. Its been 3 weeks so I figure you have been back to dealer 3 times by now. :-( Any feedback on legal help? Lemon law is not enough on this. My next action is to feed this forum into an AI and have it do the summarization.
If you had the particulate sensor installed in the last 12 months then it is covered by a warranty extension connected to the sensor.

downsc123

Reaction score
Fuel quality makes a big difference on these trucks especially with all of the emissions devices they have. In an older pre emissions diesel, you can burn just about anything you put in it but not the newer ones.
I’ve noticed the same phenomenon on my truck using Mobil Synergy fuel.
For the Mobil Synergy fuel (which I use and can't get much past 200 miles until a regen unless towing), are you getting more frequent or less frequent regens?

OLEJOE

Reaction score
For the Mobil (which I use and can't get much past 200 miles until a regen unless towing), are you getting more frequent or less frequent regens?
Less frequent regens. I was getting my fuel at first from Walmart and truck would regen every 300-700 miles and 10-14 hours. First regen after using the Mobil Synergy fuel was 1103 miles and 24 hours since the last 1. Next 1 was 896 miles and 25 hours but I wasn’t on the highway so I don’t think I got a good regen. I had a lot of stop and go low speed driving to get to the interstate. The next 1 was 846 miles and 21 hours. None of these miles are towing and no additives.

Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
If you had the particulate sensor installed in the last 12 months then it is covered by a warranty extension connected to the sensor.
His truck is a 2020 and would have had the particulate matter sensor installed from the factory, hence it would not qualify under the Y43 recall and therefore would not have the one year extended warranty. (Unfortunately)

OLEJOE

Reaction score
His truck is a 2020 and would have had the particulate matter sensor installed from the factory, hence it would not qualify under the Y43 recall and therefore would not have the one year extended warranty. (Unfortunately)
My bad. I realized that after I posted and read it again.

Users who are viewing this thread