Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regens at alarming rate!

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
As mentioned previously, I've also noticed that there's a fine line between the speeds that create passive regeneration and those that cause additional soot load. For example, on Monday I went out for a highway drive (my DPF gauge started at zero) and at about 35 miles in while driving approximately 60 mph because of traffic my gauge went up by one notch. It took an additional 100 miles of driving at 75+ for the DPF indicator to drop back down to zero. Then last night, I went out for another 80 mile drive, this time averaging about 78 mph the entire time, and the DPF gauge never moved off of zero.

It also seemed to me that I was able to get in a bunch more miles of mixed driving right after my last timer-based regen before the DPF gauge started to move. In a way this makes sense because the timer-based regen began when my DPF gauge was already reading zero, so it probably got quite well cleaned out by the time the timer-based regen was complete. I think I got 400 miles in of mixed driving before the DPF gauge moved. I also suspect that the extremely cold temperatures we've had lately are preventing the exhaust system from quickly getting up to and maintaining the temperatures required for passive regen which is why once the first notch on the DPF appears it takes so long to burn it off through passive regeneration.

There has to be a software element to this because otherwise my truck is driving great. I bet if I weren't watching the DPF gauge like a hawk and keeping the soot load down through passive regens I'd be regenerating every 300 miles best-case in mixed driving. Good thing diesel fuel is so cheap...oh, wait...

As it stands right now I'm about 1000 miles/17 hours since my last active regeneration which was timer-based. I'm trying to drive the truck so that I avoid any soot-load based regenerations, but that's not really going to be sustainable forever since it takes a long time driving, particularly in these colder weather conditions, to get the EGTs high enough for long enough for effective passive regen.

One last thing - my driveway where I park my truck is a pretty steep incline so it's extremely tough for me to get accurate oil-level readings. I'm kind of going on faith that by avoiding active regens as much as possible my oil levels are staying in the sane range. I'll have to park on a flat part of the street this evening so I can get a good look at my oil level.
Sounds like you’re already doing what you can to keep regenerations down to a minimum. Your oil level should stay pretty close to normal if you’re regenerating every 1,000 miles or so. It’s when they get down into the 100-300 range you need to start watching. No matter what you do, you’re going to get some fuel in the oil. Cummins choice to use the primary fuel injectors as part of the active regeneration strategy automatically makes fuel dilution a “thing”. The trick is to keep regeneration down to a minimum through proper duty cycles and good operating habits.

batman900

Reaction score
That's what I was doing the first 3-4 times, but I don't have 30-40 minutes extra to drive every other day when it goes into regen no matter what my driving habits. Mine is going into Regen every 45-65 miles. I have on several occasions had 2 Regens occur in a 115 mile run at 60+ mph (all highway). Been to dealer approx. 5 times now. Just had the MAP Sensor changed yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's not going to solve the Frequent Regen problem. The reason I think this is because when I dropped the truck off yesterday morning it was in a Regen that began on my way to the dealership. I picked the truck up yesterday afternoon (0% on EVIC) and drove 12 miles home. When I parked in the garage EVIC was still at 0%. This morning when I started it to go to work EVIC registered 12.5%. Drove to work (12.5 miles - avg. 50 mph.) and the EVIC was up to 25% when I parked. I expect it to go into Regen this afternoon and plan to drive through the next Regen process since it is the first one after the MAP Sensor install. Who knows, maybe it will take a couple of Regens to adjust but I'm not going to hold my breath. Spoke with the tech and he said next course of action will be to change the DPF. Also, so far the dealership has checked everything for leaks, changed air filter, changed EGR valve, and installed all new injectors.

My father's 23 at 5k miles is just as bad as yours. Was hoping something may have been figured out by now but it doesn't look like it. We met up for a family get together in NM three weeks back. Riding with him we watched the DPF regen and then climb back up high enough to regen again within an hour of driving.

To make matters worse, even with the air turned off or on recirculate, the truck lets regen fumes into the cab and it's nauseating. It's back at the dealer for the 3rd time right now and they can't figure it out. Last time it was there, they did a forced regen and guess what, it was ready to regen again by the time he was home. He loves the truck but plans to trade for a Ford if they can't fix it. He really doesn't want to waste the money and doesn't like how the fords look, I feel bad for him.

By comparison, my Sept build 2024 has 45 hours with 7 of idle time. 2300 miles. My DPF % has never moved from 0 and I have never noticed an active regen. I remote start my truck in the morning for 5-10min and then have a slow 10min 15mph drive to my kids school. Then I jump on the hwy for 15min and I'm at work. Zero towing or hauling yet. I even sat in the truck idle for 30-40min the other day before the NM trip adjusting my seat to get it "just right" and the % still never budged. There has got to be some single issue causing this and I don't understand how RAM can't figure it out.

Last edited:

downsc123

Reaction score
I am in the range of an active regen every ~200 miles if I am not towing anything. My commute to work is 14 miles (half highway at ~70mph and half two lane 55 mph roads). The last 10 days have been cold (about 10F in the AN and 20F in the PM) and I have been getting great passive regen (monitoring %DPF PID on my iDash) - what I noticed is that my EGT1, 2 and 3 temps are around 675 to 715 at these cold temps for my commute when before (warmer weather), I as between 550 and 615 which isn't enough for passive regen. During this cold snap, each morning, my %DPF is down in the 20s and gets to about 40ish when I shut if off. I am wondering if the cold weather is forcing more EGR and thus keeping my EGTs higher. Would be very interesting to know what EGR looks like for those that have a regen problem and those that don't (I keep forgetting to change one of my displays to monitor EGR).

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
My father's 23 at 5k miles is just as bad as yours. Was hoping something may have been figured out by now but it doesn't look like it. We met up for a family get together in NM three weeks back. Riding with him we watched the DPF regen and then climb back up high enough to regen again within an hour of driving.

To make matters worse, even with the air turned off or on recirculate, the truck lets regen fumes into the cab and it's nauseating. It's back at the dealer for the 3rd time right now and they can't figure it out. Last time it was there, they did a forced regen and guess what, it was ready to regen again by the time he was home. He loves the truck but plans to trade for a Ford if they can't fix it. He really doesn't want to waste the money and doesn't like how the fords look, I feel bad for him.

By comparison, my Sept build 2024 has 45 hours with 7 of idle time. 2300 miles. My DPF % has never moved from 0 and I have never noticed an active regen. I remote start my truck in the morning for 5-10min and then have a slow 10min 15mph drive to my kids school. Then I jump on the hwy for 15min and I'm at work. Zero towing or hauling yet. I even sat in the truck idle for 30-40min the other day before the NM trip adjusting my seat to get it "just right" and the % still never budged. There has got to be some single issue causing this and I don't understand how RAM can't figure it out.
Your father’s truck sounds suspiciously like an exhaust leak or a partially obstructed doc / DPF that’s forcing excess exhaust out of places it shouldn’t be. Did the dealership do any testing at all?…or jump straight to a forced regeneration (which usually doesn’t cure anything)

batman900

Reaction score
Your father’s truck sounds suspiciously like an exhaust leak or a partially obstructed doc / DPF that’s forcing excess exhaust out of places it shouldn’t be. Did the dealership do any testing at all?…or jump straight to a forced regeneration (which usually doesn’t cure anything)

I thought so too, they jumped straight to the forced regen. I'm not sure what all they've done since it has been back with them, they still have it right now but they called yesterday and said they still can't find anything wrong. When he went to pick it up they changed their mind and asked to keep it a little longer.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Had the MAFS replaced yesterday, yay. I told (and showed) the tech about the fuel dilution of my crankcase. He drained and replaced 3 qts of oil (it was 1 qt over) and scheduled the truck for a fuel system eval next month. He suspects an injector problem. I suspect Strike Three.

And for gits and shiggles, my wipers started making a clicking noise as I was driving in yesterday. He pulled the shroud and determined the linkage was shot. 22,000 miles and the whole wiper assembly needs to be replaced. This POS truck is one very expensive nightmare after another.

I am fortunate that the dealership shop is pretty informal and that I'm friends with the techs. I can hang out while they're working on it and even help a little when appropriate. It's good to get a clear picture of what's being done and get direct feedback from the mechanics.

RonWagnon

Reaction score
I agree with possible exhaust leak or something along those lines. I have not had any issues with smells or fumes.

RonWagnon

Reaction score

Mine went into Regen this morning as I pulled into the parking lot at work. That is with around 75 miles driven after last Regen and since the MAP sensor was changed Tuesday afternoon. I plan to hook up to RV and run a couple of hours this weekend to see if it helps as was suggested by some of you guys. I also spoke with the dealership and will be bringing back to have DPF changed. They want me to wait until it throws the code again which should happen in the next 1.5 to 2 weeks.

scdo

Reaction score
Update on my truck..

I've been having regens every ~30-100 miles. When towing, it can go the full 24 hours without issue. As soon as I unhook, it's back to frequent regens.

RAM has now sent a field tech to evaluate the truck while at the dealer (yesterday). Field tech has advised to replace the DPF (they've already tried all the other stuff).

I'll update this thread once I get it back and put a few hundred miles on the new DPF.

Last edited:

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Update on my truck..

I've been having regens every ~30-100 miles. When towing, it can go the full 24 hours without issue. As soon as I unhook, it's back to frequent regens.

RAM has now sent a field tech to evaluate the truck while at the dealer (yesterday). Field tech has advised to replace the DPF (they're already tried all the other stuff).

I'll update this thread once I get it back and put a few hundred miles on the new DPF.
It seems to me that the DPF would be a symptom rather than a cause, but who knows with these trucks. RAM sure as hell doesn't know.

ramcrazy

Reaction score
@RamCares I hope all is well with the team.

I own a 2022 3500 6.7 CC SB picked it up last Dec 4. Amazing ride, comfortable, quiet, and decent fuel milage, believe it or not 24 mpg for a trip from Va to Fl and back to Va.....other shoe drops. Three weeks ago, my DPF climbed rapidly 0% to approximate 32% in a day. The next day July 2nd it went to approximately 45% and then the regen started, within minutes the DPF showed 100%, CEL, reduced power, see dealer. So within one hour I am at the dealer. Can't help you need appointment. Scheduled appointment for July 8 @ 0900. At appointment, mileage 12,255 when checked for appointment, diesel tech takes truck, does a computer reset/forced regen to see if it would clear the CEL (3 codes were showing, don't recall what they were). An approximate 45 minute forced regen was done, no codes, no CEL...cool. Tech takes truck for a drive (about 25 miles round trip), when he gets back truck is doing an auto regen...second regen now in three hours. I drive home truck finishes regen during drive. July 12, auto regen. July 16 auto regen, July 21 (TODAY mileage 12, 693) auto regen. My DPF goes from reading 0% to 45% approximately in less than 50 miles before every regen. Dealer says there are no TSB's, recalls, notices, holy F's, or anything. Five regens, including the manual at the dealer in less than 500 miles. I believe it is a bad sensor. Dealer noted that there was a similar issue with the ECO Diesel, and it was resolved. BTW, mine was the first 22 at this particular dealer for this issue, they had seen it in older units.

Any info besides...there is nothing, will be accepted.

Thanks for your time.
Randy
3C63R3EL5NG121141
I had a similar problem, have you changed the air filter. Mine was doing the same thing and it was being cause by the air filter and I had order it online from mopar. Took it to the dealership and they drove it around and check everything and told me they believe it to be the air filter because it had glue strips on the bottom of the filter even though I had put the filter in it not to long ago but that is about the time my problem started. I bought a new filter from them and put it in and solved my problem. Do not use any filter with glue strips on the bottom it will cause you to have problems. My truck 2020 2500 6.7

ramcrazy

Reaction score
I have been watching this thread with some interest. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, just seems like the '22s have some ... issues in this area my 2020 did not seem to have. (I have a 2022 HO). Close to 10k miles, I've done several empty trips and pull a ~15k 5th wheel. (I really need to run it over the scales). Anyway, I don't have another vehicle and don't really want one, so it's a daily to run around town and do errands when I need to, before someone tells me I shouldn't use it for a grocery getter. :eek: I don't like to do the short trips, but that's my situation. Having another vehicle around really isn't feasible, though I'd love to find something sporty, the appropriations committee (i.e. my wife, will not approve the expenditure, lol) I haven't gotten any codes, but I did recently get a pair of Banks iDash monitors and I love the visibility. I need to start some data logging, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I monitor the miles between regen PID, there's a DPF % PID (can't remember exactly the name), when it goes to 100% regen kicks in. It's no surprise when I have several short trips around town without pulling the camper, my miles between regen drops to around 320. Pulling/empty and highway speeds I never see much in the way of regens except the ones that are time-based.

An observation/theory I'm forming is the conventional wisdom around locking out 5th/6th gears when going around town is actually not as helpful one might think. Volume of air going through the system isn't has helpful as higher temps. Watching EGT1/3, the temps are a lot higher if I let it drop into 5/6th gear and lug a bit. I did some research and it's basically air volume -- more air at higher RPMs actually cools things down and higher temps should, in theory, help passively regen/clean. Far as I can tell, my DPF is currently 'clear', the % 'full' PID was at 17% when I got back from a trip this morning. I pulled the trailer this weekend and it did an active regen right when I hitched up. I'll see if I can add some more data on a truck that's ostensibly working (mine :cool: )the way it's supposed to, although 3xx miles between regens kinda sucks IMO. Not as bad as what you're seeing, but not great.

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_194503.jpg
    IMG_20240119_194503.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 47

sisupower

Reaction score
2019 2500 stock truck. Changed air filter and now we are getting this stupid P0402 code. We can delete but it will come back. Usually around 20-40 mph under throttle. I’m lost….

kfscoll

Reaction score
Miraculously I made it to my second 24-hour timer-based regeneration since I’ve been tracking this issue more closely. The DPF gauge was on zero when the timer-based regen started so the DPF should be pretty well cleaned out now. I’ll of course keep monitoring it and driving it enough to cause passive regeneration if I start to see the DPF meter creep up.

All of these things may be pure coincidence, but it seems like things improved when I (1) stuck to using only BP diesel fuel, (2) added Hot Shot’s Secret EDT with every fuel up, and (3) drove locally at around 45-50 MPH so the truck was fully warmed up before getting on the highway. I ran into a few cases where the truck was still warming up when I got on the highway and the DPF filter would almost immediately increase one notch. So who knows, but that’s what seems to be working for me so far, fingers crossed. FWIW I have about 23K miles on the truck right now.

Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Miraculously I made it to my second 24-hour timer-based regeneration since I’ve been tracking this issue more closely. The DPF gauge was on zero when the timer-based regen started so the DPF should be pretty well cleaned out now. I’ll of course keep monitoring it and driving it enough to cause passive regeneration if I start to see the DPF meter creep up.

All of these things may be pure coincidence, but it seems like things improved when I (1) stuck to using only BP diesel fuel, (2) added Hot Shot’s Secret EDT with every fuel up, and (3) drove locally at around 45-50 MPH so the truck was fully warmed up before getting on the highway. I ran into a few cases where the truck was still warming up when I got on the highway and the DPF filter would almost immediately increase one notch. So who knows, but that’s what seems to be working for me so far, fingers crossed. FWIW I have about 23K miles on the truck right now.
This sounds very similar to my success story with the exception of the hotshots EDT. (I stopped using it). But I have had great success using fuel from my local BP. Warm up is important. These trucks have a warm up strategy built into the programming which changes several variables in the engine and keeps them there until the truck reaches around 150°F (I think). That strategy is not necessarily the “cleanest” in terms of engine emissions. This is why I preach using the block heater any time the temp drops below 40°F. The truck spends very little time in the warm up strategy and can get back to normal operation faster. Plus you’re helping all the other components and being generally more “friendly” to the powertrain as a whole. As I’ve mentioned before, my home is less than a minute from the main interstate highway in my area. I use that highway for my morning commutes to work. To me, it’s a good practice to have the truck as close to operating temperature as possible before I hit the road.

kanigie

Reaction score
Update on my situttion. Continue to change oil every month because of fuel diluion. Had been averaging 150 miles between regens with about 50 miles to complete. with one excpetion, 275 miles when I had a tractor implentment in my bed driving in hilly terrain for 150 miles. Last oil changed I also changed my fuel filters. Truck went 343 miles before regening, my best by 100 miles. Have appointment at dealer in 3 weeks. Appointments in NJ are 1 month+, longer if I need a loaner. I drive 130 miles a day, mostly highway speeds. Played with differnt brands of fuel and also fuel additive.

One thing diffent in my case, I purchased the truck with 13k but 650 idle hours! Wish I knew to check,,,

1706195594078.png

Users who are viewing this thread