Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red cap over diesel fill port? Keep or discard?

Lary0071

Reaction score
I just picked up a fresh new Cummins 3500 and filled the diesel fuel up, I observed what appears to be a very light duty dust cap over the fill port opening. I removed it and filled the truck, then replaced the cap. Am I supposed to keep this on the opening while not filling with fuel? I would think that they could have made a better quality cover if this is a recommended practice. I'm uncomfortable with these new "capless" fill ports, I worry that water and/or salt may find it's way into the fuel door and get into that fill port opening. Is there a better made aftermarket cover to prevent anything from getting into the port?

Attachments

• 20210628_061029.jpg
    20210628_061029.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 50

jeffn

Reaction score
I threw my red cap away. I don’t worry about these new fill ports but I do think RAM could have designed this to alleviate the concerns that people naturally have

flan

Reaction score
Genos garage has a assortment of caps, locking and non locking. You don’t need that red cap, the door is gasketed and the fill tube has a drain in between the first and second flapper if something were to get by the door gasket. I do have a genos locking cap and if there was no genos I’d probably leave that red cap in place just for piece of mind/redundancy but that’s just me. I’m sure not many run a cap and the thought never even crossed their minds.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thats just for shipping not ment to be kept this is a capless system

Thorvald

Reaction score
Also a useless system. Ram sells a plastic snap on lid at the parts counter, it comes with a tether so it doesn't get lost. Not the best but better than nothing (or get the Genos).

Judging by how much crap, dirt, dust, water I find in that cover and all over my Ram plastic snap lid, there is no way in hell I'd trust it without it.

Ian745

Reaction score
I got one from sinister as the genos were never available and i drive a ton of dusty ass country roads, otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered with a cap at all

BroKV

Reaction score
I went with Geno's locking on my 2020, and they transferred to my 2021.

View attachment 19246

That’s what I have on mine. I bought in early May and got the DEF cap right away. Took 2 months to get the Fuel cap as it was back ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dslbrnr

Reaction score
I use the red one when adding DEF just incase I spill some in the fuel fill neck otherwise it stays on the garage shelf

Users who are viewing this thread