Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon Grapplers vs Ridge Grapplers

Firebird

Reaction score
I’m satisfied with mine. A little more of a hum than the firestone, although I'm
curious if the balance beads have anything to do with that. I have approximately 500 mi so far and really like them.
My Ridge Grapplers are fairly loud, but that may be because they are wearing poorly and won't balance

Darkone

Reaction score
@Firebird yea if they won’t balance and are wearing bad I’d say it would contribute to being louder than normal. Although many people seem to really like the ridge grapplers

Ken21BH

Reaction score
I have about 4k on my recons and no issues or noise. I tow with them also. Rotated them with 3k on them. Wearing fine, no chop. Run 65-70 lbs.

Imaking20

Reaction score
I did about 7k miles on Ridge Grapplers mounted to a Land Rover Discovery 5. They were excellent. I’ve now got 9k miles on 275/65/20 Recon Grapplers on my 3500, including about 4k miles pulling a 12k lb trailer and super happy with them! As others have said, I don’t notice any more noise than stock. I think they’re hard to beat for a do it all tire that looks as good as it drives.

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ditching my Ridge Grapplers tomorrow, ordered some Toyo AT3's. I think I just got a bad set, but not willing to take a chance on another set

I Love Grits

Reaction score
Ditching my Ridge Grapplers tomorrow, ordered some Toyo AT3's. I think I just got a bad set, but not willing to take a chance on another set

How many miles when you dumped the grapplers?

I have 20K on mine and am running into the same issue that they can’t seem to get them balanced. Road noise is definitely louder than original as well.

You have similar issues with the at3s? They were out of stock when I was tire shopping originally and would’ve been my first choice because of others having the same reports or increased noise/balancing.

Firebird

Reaction score
How many miles when you dumped the grapplers?

I have 20K on mine and am running into the same issue that they can’t seem to get them balanced. Road noise is definitely louder than original as well.

You have similar issues with the at3s? They were out of stock when I was tire shopping originally and would’ve been my first choice because of others having the same reports or increased noise/balancing.
I want to say I had around 18-20,000 miles on them. The Toyo's are smooth as glass!

I Love Grits

Reaction score
That helps me to know which way to go, thanks!

You able to recoup any of the cost on the nittos? Feels wasteful to chunk a tire with that much tread left but I guess if it’s not balancing it might be the right thing to do.

Firebird

Reaction score
That helps me to know which way to go, thanks!

You able to recoup any of the cost on the nittos? Feels wasteful to chunk a tire with that much tread left but I guess if it’s not balancing it might be the right thing to do.
I sold the Nitto's to a guy for $1000.00, he just needed them for a farm truck

flan

Reaction score
I sold the Nitto's to a guy for $1000.00, he just needed them for a farm truck
I’m close to doing the same, Ive got some hubcentric rings as a final Hail Mary then they’re gone....

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
For those with the ridge grapplers. Did any of you try to get them replaced under warranty? A balancing issue is usually a defective tire from the mold.
I've had that issue several times with BFG's back in the day. Had to go as far as pulling the tire from the rim and put the rim on the balancer with no weight to prove it was not the rim, but the tire. Finaly got them replaced as a defective tire.

Reason I'm asking, I'm looking at possibly going ridge grapplers when I need new tires. Need a good all around tire. looking for a R/T style tire which the ridge fits the bill.
Gonna be in snow, mud, wet, offroad, and street. So trying to find a tire that will do it all.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Not even a manufacture defect one?

May need to look for other tires then.

Right now my choices are, Ridge Grappler, Toyo AT3 and MT Baja Boss. Baja Boss is the least expensive and has the deepest tread.

Ewoodard

Reaction score
I put Toyo R/T Trails on my truck and like them so far. Only had them for a few thousand miles.

phatboy64

Reaction score
For those with the ridge grapplers. Did any of you try to get them replaced under warranty? A balancing issue is usually a defective tire from the mold.
I've had that issue several times with BFG's back in the day. Had to go as far as pulling the tire from the rim and put the rim on the balancer with no weight to prove it was not the rim, but the tire. Finaly got them replaced as a defective tire.

Reason I'm asking, I'm looking at possibly going ridge grapplers when I need new tires. Need a good all around tire. looking for a R/T style tire which the ridge fits the bill.
Gonna be in snow, mud, wet, offroad, and street. So trying to find a tire that will do it all.
Check out the falken wildpeaks AT3. I spent 5 months in snow/ wet road conditions…

flan

Reaction score

Snow and wet are not the ridge grapplers strong points.

I Love Grits

Reaction score
Not even a manufacture defect one?

May need to look for other tires then.

Right now my choices are, Ridge Grappler, Toyo AT3 and MT Baja Boss. Baja Boss is the least expensive and has the deepest tread.

Not sure of the window of a defect claim, if there’s one at all. Would probably depend more on the shop you get them through going to bat for you.

Depending on the size you’re after, the toyos might not be available. They were, and are, my first choice but can’t get them in a 37x18 the few times I’ve looked over the last year.

I’d say the wildpeaks are a nice 2nd to the toyos if you can’t find the toyos in stock in your size.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
35x12.50R17
May go to 37, not sure.
Have the Toyo open country R/T in 37x13.50R17 on the wife's 1500 Chevy.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
My Ridge Grapplers have life of tread warranty through Discount and they have been great for everything including all fields statewide and towing so far, much nicer than the original Goodyears and of course the muds I had to ditch…talk about loud and rough, this truck did not like muds.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I have the Recon Grapplers and hate them. They slide like butter in the rain. Horrible tires. Unfortunately I only have about 11k miles on them, so I'm stuck with them for awhile. I might go back to Wildpeaks when these are done.

Users who are viewing this thread