Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendations on door 6x9 and dash speaker upgrade

Squatch

Reaction score
I put the infinity primus 6x9s in. They come with a spacer that works perfect to get enough space in the front door. I did front and back on the driver side and left the passenger side untouched so that I could fade from full left to full right. It sounds like a did lose some lower thump, but definitely gained a lot in the clarity of sound, but after listening to them for a couple of hours on the road with some different genres of music, the treble was just too much. I found myself turning the treble down as far as it would go, cranking the bass as high as it would go, and trying to coax some mid out of them and it just would not even out, it literally hurt my ears to listen to it, I ended up shutting the radio off and listening to wind the last hour. I put stock speakers back in the next morning and I was very happy to have those oems back in there. Good news is the job only takes about an hour and a half, each door skin comes off in under 10 minutes. I would not recommend this swap for the base 6 speaker system with the 5” screen. E273C004-0CAC-46F4-A2BE-B6CA7D0243C4.jpeg47236D41-3162-4BCF-8A8A-F8B34E5971F5.jpeg

Last edited:

sdu

Reaction score
I purchased the Kicker CS series, 3 1/2" corner, 6 1/2" front door, and 6"x9" back door speakers, and just finished boxing them up to send back to Crutchfield. I have a 2019 Bighorn with the 8.4 radio. With all the new speakers in I lost all my bass, the dash speakers seemed over driven and I had to keep using the fade to back to tone them down. Can't say much on the rear door speakers, but overall I actually think the factory speakers sound better. The over all sound required the bass turned up all the way up, and the treble as well for the harsh tinny sound. Overall I think if I added an amp it would have improved the sound but I didn't want to go that far.
This was my experience too. Gone through a lot of trouble only to go back to factory. I think bypassing ANC improved the factory sound a bit.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I put the infinity primus 6x9s in. They come with a spacer that works perfect to get enough space in the front door. I did front and back on the driver side and left the passenger side untouched so that I could fade from full left to full right. It sounds like a did lose some lower thump, but definitely gained a lot in the clarity of sound, kinda like going from hearing something underwater to popping your head out of the water. I’m hoping that they will loosen up and bump a little harder as I work them in. I’m not going to be swapping the dash for sure after hearing it now. Down the road I may consider a 10” alpine truck woofer. We will see how it goes. Below is a comparison of size difference. View attachment 17652View attachment 17653

It will take those speakers a bit to break in that woofer. Do you have a factory sub now? I have the sub and I like the way mine sounds with the dash speakers changed out. But if I listen to it sitting in the back seat or with the doors open working in the driveway it sounds too muddy. I have the REF-9633s sitting in the garage right now. I hope that will clear things up without losing any bass.

Squatch

Reaction score
It will take those speakers a bit to break in that woofer. Do you have a factory sub now? I have the sub and I like the way mine sounds with the dash speakers changed out. But if I listen to it sitting in the back seat or with the doors open working in the driveway it sounds too muddy. I have the REF-9633s sitting in the garage right now. I hope that will clear things up without losing any bass.
I don’t have a factory sub, just the base six speaker system, with the 5” screen, ANC bypass cable installed and now just the infinity primus in the 4 doors and stock dash speakers. I’ll report back once I work them in a bit.

JHeat2500

Reaction score
I've been going in circles planning a stereo for my truck when it arrives. Hoping to build off of mostly what I already have in my stereo stock that I have on hand. If I already didnt have multiple 6.5" midbass woofers, I would go with the Audiofrog GS690 6X9 woofer/midbass. They also make a full range 6X9 if you dont want to do components, but I would expect you will need to add an amp any way you go really to improve upon it.
Before anyone drops the $$$ on the frogs, I've heard from multiple people that their 6x9s don't fit due to the basket design. Stick to the 6.5"s and you'll be fine as long as you use an adapter.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Update: I played with the EQ a bit and those speakers make way better bass than stock. I think I am set, no need to do the dash either. Can’t wait to break them in some more.

I wonder if yours would work without the ANC defeat.

Rob1013692

Reaction score
Even though I have plans for mine, the ANC bypass made the HK sound better. Still not to my standards - but better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
I got the 2 sets of Pioneer TS-G690 and the set of Kicker 46CSC354 for the dash installed today, they defiantly sound better than the oem speakers. After install was complete I had to play with the equalizer as it puts out a way different sound now. It sounds louder now with better quality and as most explained I would loose some bass which I did but I was able to add it back with the EQ. I listen to mostly old classic rock so it's fine for me.

I might try plugging the ANC back in and see what it does with the new speaker setup.

BTW I hate how the door panels mount as the 2 fronts sucked to line back up on the L-tabs and some would fold over rather than going into the slots. but I finally got them

carramrod

Reaction score
I put the infinity primus 6x9s in. They come with a spacer that works perfect to get enough space in the front door. I did front and back on the driver side and left the passenger side untouched so that I could fade from full left to full right. It sounds like a did lose some lower thump, but definitely gained a lot in the clarity of sound, kinda like going from hearing something underwater to popping your head out of the water. I’m hoping that they will loosen up and bump a little harder as I work them in. I’m not going to be swapping the dash for sure after hearing it now. Down the road I may consider a 10” alpine truck woofer. We will see how it goes. Below is a comparison of size difference.

Glad to see these speakers were able to fit as I was actually looking at these on Crutchfield today before stumbling onto this forum. However, the customer service rep told me these would not fit in my front doors due to mounting depth and that they did not include a spacer in the box. Did you order from crutchfield and if so was that spacer included with it or did you purchase it separately?

I was also told that all of the stock speakers in my '21 Tradesman are approximately 2 ohms including the dash speakers. I have the standard 6-speaker setup with the 8.4" screen. Can anyone else verify this? Everything I have read seems to indicate these trucks have 4 ohm speakers in the doors and 8 ohm speakers in the dash, but they seemed pretty confident that all speakers in my truck are between 2.3 and 2.7 ohms. This is why I was looking at the primus as they advertise an ohm rating of 2.7.

Rob1013692

Reaction score
Dash 8, door 2 for 4ohm load on that channel. If they were each 2 ohms, it would be too much of a drop on the amp. A lot of amps can’t handle that low of impedance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnRider

Reaction score
I'm another one that has gone back to stock speakers after trying different combinations of speakers. Stock just sounds better/more balanced to me. I think if you plan on swapping to a higher quality speaker you need to put a amp in to push them.

carramrod

Reaction score
Bummer! My last truck had the Alpine system which was plenty good enough for me. Traded it in to take advantage of the ludicrous prices dealerships are paying right now for used diesel trucks. Was thinking it would be easy to upgrade the 6 speaker system to sound bearable but it sounds like it will be more of a headache than I thought.

Squatch

Reaction score
Glad to see these speakers were able to fit as I was actually looking at these on Crutchfield today before stumbling onto this forum. However, the customer service rep told me these would not fit in my front doors due to mounting depth and that they did not include a spacer in the box. Did you order from crutchfield and if so was that spacer included with it or did you purchase it separately?

I was also told that all of the stock speakers in my '21 Tradesman are approximately 2 ohms including the dash speakers. I have the standard 6-speaker setup with the 8.4" screen. Can anyone else verify this? Everything I have read seems to indicate these trucks have 4 ohm speakers in the doors and 8 ohm speakers in the dash, but they seemed pretty confident that all speakers in my truck are between 2.3 and 2.7 ohms. This is why I was looking at the primus as they advertise an ohm rating of 2.7.
After spending a day listening to it with different music, I say keep your stock speakers, they come with the spacers, but overall it isn’t worth it. I am probably going back to stock myself. Some songs just hurt my ears to listen to, and that just sucks. I’m seriously thinking about mounting a different head unit elsewhere to run my speakers.

carramrod

Reaction score
After spending a day listening to it with different music, I say keep your stock speakers, they come with the spacers, but overall it isn’t worth it. I am probably going back to stock myself. Some songs just hurt my ears to listen to, and that just sucks. I’m seriously thinking about mounting a different head unit elsewhere to run my speakers.
Well, I do appreciate the honesty. I guess I’m gonna sit tight with the stock system for now until I get to a point where I’m ready to drop some serious coin on a complete overhaul of the stereo system.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
For my Alpine system the biggest improvement was changing out the dash speakers. It brought space and clarity to the music. I changed the rear door speakers to Infinity REF-9633 today. I haven't spent much time listening yet, They are definitely more clear. They are plenty loud. I will let them break in before I make my final judgment.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
For my Alpine system the biggest improvement was changing out the dash speakers. It brought space and clarity to the music. I changed the rear door speakers to Infinity REF-9633 today. I haven't spent much time listening yet, They are definitely more clear. They are plenty loud. I will let them break in before I make my final judgment.
What front speakers did you go with,I just ordered a 22 with the Alpine.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Good choice,I will check them out,did you replace all 3 dash speakers with these?

Rob1013692

Reaction score
I went with the Kenwood 3 1/2s. They are hard to get right now with all the supply issues, but they are beautiful sounding. I did all 3 1/2's.. From my understanding, since the factory are 8 ohms, and plugging in 4ohms, they may be a little "harsh" based on some people's experiences. If that works out to be true for your ears, consider the kenwoods...

Users who are viewing this thread