Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendations for running power for trailer winch

Hardtop

Reaction score
I want to run power to the rear bumper of my truck for anything more than that 400 watt 120V outlet in the bed. Specifically, 12V power for a trailer mounted winch, or a bumper mounted 12V hoist motor. I've found one company that makes DIY kits for trailer winches:

Anybody ever order from these guys? Is their stuff as high quality as they claim? I'm thinking their 7-piece dump trailer wiring kit, and adding their 300 amp breaker, might give me the adaptability for both options. It uses 2 AWG wire to run the kit. Is this going to be big enough for going from the batteries to the rear of my truck?? They do offer kits with bigger wire, even 0 AWG.

My truck has two batteries. Does it make a difference which battery I would use? Never had two batteries in a truck before. I just don't want to worry about maintaining a battery mounted in the trailer for a winch I may use only a few times a year. Previously, I've just hitched the front bumper of my jeep to the trailer and pulled stuff into the trailer using the jeep winch. My truck doesn't have a winch, and I really don't want to do that dance if I don't have to.

My truck has the factory 5th wheel kit and the usual travel trailer connections on the rear bumper, so the quick connect fitting would need to be on the left side of the license plate under the trailer camera plug. Seems more practical than putting it in the bed wall next to the 5th wheel connections. But, any recommendations from those of you who have already done something like this would be appreciated.

flan

Reaction score
Depending on what winch you buy 300 amp may be a bit light.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Have a battery on the trailer too otherwise 300A may be underpowered. My winch pulls 440A max, then run the 300A setup to the battery on the trailer thats what i have my trailers setup as but i made my own setup. With Anderson plugs Also go to the drivers side battery it has the studs on it that are rated at 300A

Big Baloo

Reaction score
I used this kit for my winch. Kit can be found on Amazon.

WARN 32966 24' Quick Connect Power Cable​

• 24-feet Quick Connect power cable
  • For rear of vehicle applications
  • A safe and simple power source for portable or multi-mount winches
  • Designed for 6,000 pound to 9,500 pound capacity WARN winches
  • Includes power interrupt kit and dust cover

This is the second truck I have used this kit. My first was my 2018 RAM 3500, now on my 2022 3500.

My winch is rated at 9500 LBS.

I believe they (Warn) provides kits for other rated winches.

I used one of my AUX switches to turn it on and off from the cab.

Main power connected to the driver battery. Either battery will work fine, just that the driver side was easier for me to connect, and closer to the AUX switch connectors.

Hope this helps.71onyUEiwML._AC_SX466_.jpg

Darkone

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at doing something similar for my truck using a flush mount Anderson connector in the rear bumper. Most of the kits I see seem to underside the cables from the wire size guide I use say. They mainly use 2awg where I’ve been wondering if 2/0 will be big enough.
And what about grounding go to the battery or a chassis ground?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at doing something similar for my truck using a flush mount Anderson connector in the rear bumper. Most of the kits I see seem to underside the cables from the wire size guide I use say. They mainly use 2awg where I’ve been wondering if 2/0 will be big enough.
And what about grounding go to the battery or a chassis ground?
Go to the battery on the ground. There is no wire big enough going from the batt to the chassis.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Chassis ground is only rated 50A

12V to the HAPP

Ground to starter ground or the engine side of the battery sensor (same point).

Good info in this thread re: high current load connections:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread