Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Receiver hitch size?

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I just found my adapter last weekend in the rear floor storage compartment. Only took me 5 months to figure out it was in there.. Hopefully the right turn clunk goes away now. Yeah right!
I was standing in the tow accessory section of Crappy Tire looking at hitch adapters the day I bought the truck. "I'll pick one up later," I thought to meself. It was the following day when I found the nest egg under the back seat. Dealer didn't have a clue. ;)

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I was standing in the tow accessory section of Crappy Tire looking at hitch adapters the day I bought the truck. "I'll pick one up later," I thought to meself. It was the following day when I found the nest egg under the back seat. Dealer didn't have a clue. ;)
Kills me the factory doesn't supply a hitch receiver pin with the adapter.

jbncccb

Reaction score
I didn't know there was a supplied adapter either. I had to purchase an 8" drop hitch as this new trucks receiver is 8" higher than my F150 4x4. So the adapter wouldn't have worked very well anyway. Boat would have been angled up like getting on plane, but on the trailer, LOL.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I didn't know there was a supplied adapter either. I had to purchase an 8" drop hitch as this new trucks receiver is 8" higher than my F150 4x4. So the adapter wouldn't have worked very well anyway. Boat would have been angled up like getting on plane, but on the trailer, LOL.

I think all the 3500 owners have to buy drop hitches to tow regular stuff. I'll purchase mine soon, thinking of a 6" with 3 different ball sizes to cover most trailer-type situations.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I had to get a 7-3/4 inch drop for my camper. My friend wanted me to haul a jeep for him on his trailer. Had to get a 10 inch drop.

I would have to suggest...an adjustable hitch of atleast a 10 inch drop.
Good point.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I have a 2020 3500 CC LWB DRW 4x4. I went with a Weight Safe SWS6-2.5, 6 inch drop for a 2.5 inch receiver. My old one that I took off my 2006 Ram was perfect, so I stayed with a 6 inch drop. I didn't want a longer one as I don't want it to drag on things in case I go off road or something. My Trailer sits 1.5 inches higher in the front than the rear when empty, once the trailer gets loaded, it is level. Keep in mind, each truck and trailer hitch varies some you you need to make sure what you need before you buy and don't purchase something that won't work. I also hate the Boat Anchor Look. If you check out the photos below, I have pictured a 10% promo code they sent me in the box with my purchase. Also if you ask their receptionist if there are running any promos/discounts, she will be able to help you out. I got 2 additional locks, a $50 savings.

Here are some pictures of mine:

UPDATE 4-30-20 :
I have called and started the return process. There is to much slop and banging when pulling and stopping the trailer with this hitch as it's fitment is to small for our 2.5 receivers. The lady on the phone told me where to get tape (at my expense and you have to regularly replace it) and wrap around unit to fill in the gap difference. I guess they know of the problem but have no plans to fix it.. Poor Customer Service I say. They have a Good Idea but is to sloppy of a fit.

Attachments

• 20200428_154813.jpg
    20200428_154813.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 20200428_154639.jpg
    20200428_154639.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20200428_160909.jpg
    20200428_160909.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200429_092408.jpg
    20200429_092408.jpg
    658.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 20200429_092450.jpg
    20200429_092450.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Weigh_Safe_6in_drop_hitch_2.5in_shaft_WS6-2.5-145_measurements-compressor.jpg
    Weigh_Safe_6in_drop_hitch_2.5in_shaft_WS6-2.5-145_measurements-compressor.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 120
  • TotalZParts_Weigh-Safe-Trucks-Trailers-Towing-8IN-DROP-2-5IN-SHAFT-HITCH-BALL-MOUNT-WITH-KEY-L...jpg
    TotalZParts_Weigh-Safe-Trucks-Trailers-Towing-8IN-DROP-2-5IN-SHAFT-HITCH-BALL-MOUNT-WITH-KEY-L...jpg
    11 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

carlrx7

Reaction score
Class V 2.5" I didn't trust using the factory sleeve for even one tow. This Andersen hitch will last forever. 6" drop. Perfect to fit to the boat.
IMG_0905.jpg

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I have a 2020 3500 CC LWB DRW 4x4. I went with a Weight Safe SWS6-2.5, 6 inch drop for a 2.5 inch receiver. My old one that I took off my 2006 Ram was perfect, so I stayed with a 6 inch drop. I didn't want a longer one as I don't want it to drag on things in case I go off road or something. My Trailer sits 1.5 inches higher in the front than the rear when empty, once the trailer gets loaded, it is level. Keep in mind, each truck and trailer hitch varies some you you need to make sure what you need before you buy and don't purchase something that won't work. I also hate the Boat Anchor Look. If you check out the photos below, I have pictured a 10% promo code they sent me in the box with my purchase. Also if you ask their receptionist if there are running any promos/discounts, she will be able to help you out. I got 2 additional locks, a $50 savings.

Here are some pictures of mine:

UPDATE 4-30-20 :
I have called and started the return process. There is to much slop and banging when pulling and stopping the trailer with this hitch as it's fitment is to small for our 2.5 receivers. The lady on the phone told me where to get tape (at my expense and you have to regularly replace it) and wrap around unit to fill in the gap difference. I guess they know of the problem but have no plans to fix it.. Poor Customer Service I say. They have a Good Idea but is to sloppy of a fit.

Updated above post. Returning item

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Class V 2.5" I didn't trust using the factory sleeve for even one tow. This Andersen hitch will last forever. 6" drop. Perfect to fit to the boat.
Towed a 8500 lb bumper pull fer 4K miles last summer with the sleeve and... nuthin of note. Did what it was apparently deigned to do. I suspect it'd be fine up to the max limits for 2-inch, class V hitch accessories.

carlrx7

Reaction score
Updated above post. Returning item

I think you are going to find the same amount of slop unless you find a lathe and make your own. Even Gen-Y understands this and makes a hitch tightener.

Last edited:

1FastHemi

Reaction score

I think you are going to find the same amount of slop unless you find a lathe and make your own. Even Gen-Y understands understands this and makes a hitch tightener.

Yes, I have been looking at those today and I believe I would need 2 of them to reduce the slack. There is about an inch or more slop (Back and Forth) at the bottom when installed, You almost get whiplash each time you stop and go. Even the ball is sloppy in the hole. I tried to upload a video but I couldn't get it to go.

I went around to several places today shopping for a different kind and the hitch shops guys stated that was wrong and you shouldn't have to put tape and shims around it to pull the slack out.

I called the manufacturer after I received an email back refusing to give me my money back and they didn't want it returned either. I finally spoke with the owner on the phone and he said that he would take care of it and send me a return label. We will see, Good thing I put it on a credit card.

ahhhr

Reaction score
@1FastHemi

x2 on the customer service at Weight Safe. Luckily i declined the delivery before it got here.

Im about to pull the trigger on Trimax Heavy Duty TRZ8ALHD 8". The HD model is 2.5"
It looks better than the Weight Safe and has 20k payload (over 18k on weigh safe).

I saw a review from a ford guy who bitched about having to file down the corners to fit into the receiver. I hope min is that tight.

1588643784576.png

Last edited:

1FastHemi

Reaction score
@1FastHemi

x2 on the customer service at Weight Safe. Luckily i declined the delivery before it got here.

Im about to pull the trigger on Trimax Heavy Duty TRZ8ALHD 8". The HD model is 2.5"
It looks better than the Weight Safe and has 20k payload (over 18k on weigh safe).

I saw a review from a ford guy who bitched about having to file down the corners to fit into the receiver. I hope min is that tight.

View attachment 4330

Nice looking unit.. I looked at those but couldn't loos the extra 3 inches ground clearance with the extra ball hanging down. I drive over a lot of things out here in the country at the farm and didn't want to get hung on something.. Keep me posted on how it works out.

I'm thinking of going with this one If I can find one locally to test the fitment before I buy, not as nice looking though. I have to get my electric brakes working on my trailer first, three different shops can't even figure it out? ( New axles, New brakes, all New wiring and only 1 of 4 brakes work. I have $4k tied up in the upgrades now and the Same Problem with no matter what vehicle pulls it.)

Attachments

• Curt 45459 Commercial Duty Forged Ball Mount 2-12 Shank, 20,000 lbs., 6 Drop.jpeg
    Curt 45459 Commercial Duty Forged Ball Mount 2-12 Shank, 20,000 lbs., 6 Drop.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Curt 45459 Label.png
    Curt 45459 Label.png
    530.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

jbncccb

Reaction score
I got this one to tow my boat with. It does have a little slop, but less than 1/4" movement from what I can see. Not bad for the price I paid. Thus far I'm pleased with it, and you can install only one ball if that's what you choose to do. You don't need both balls installed.

Uriah Products UT625810 Silver 12.6 x 12 x 3.9 Aluma-Tow HD 8" Drop Ball Mount for 2-1/2" Receiver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B198M5T/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_tOuSEbMGAXJMN

e44562f0c2ab48080a4292398bb56d67.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread