Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rear seat protectors for dogs

ultrascott

Reaction score
hello everyone.i'm looking for suggestions on how to keep all the dog hair off my seats when I take my great dane with us on vacation this year.i will have the rear seat bottoms in the up position just because of his size.what is everyone using to protect their seats from the dog hair? thanks

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Short of cocooning or vacuum sealing them, nothing. Blankets help but the hair gets EVERYWHERE! I've travelled hundreds of thousands on kms with multiple Shelties over the decades and seen dog hair get into places that I didn't think hair could get into. Ya just live with it but it helps to have a powerful shop vac on hand for in between trips. ;)

MaximumSteel

Reaction score
I have an Australian Shepherd and a Bearded Collie. Seconding Burn'n Oil - can't stop the hair/dander! Couldn't find a cover I liked so I use moving blankets tucked into the folded seats at the top. Pups ride on the platform harnessed to the seat belts. Blanket is big enough to cover the door as well. The blanket is more to protect plastic/leather from nail scratches, or for spills, dirty paws, drools and accidents.

We put the free vac at the car wash to the test often.

Marshfly

Reaction score
I bought a cover from 4Knines on amazon and love it. It’s been on the seat for about 20 days of traveling at this point with two dogs and two kids for three different trips now. The cover itself vacuums easily and all I really have to clean is the carpet after a trip. That takes 5 minutes with a shop vac. The seats are almost spotless with the exception of small spots where the seatbelts go through. I am extremely impressed. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oaklandopen

Reaction score
There is no good way. And if you start getting tired of dog breath and roll a window down you've essentially reversed any proactive seat protector plan you come up with because the hair will go everywhere

However, I had seat covers that were cloth that helped congregate the hair to the buckle slit areas, which made vacuuming a little easier

My plan on this truck is to put the dogs in the bed if I get a cap. Will also devise some sort of portable AC system for them and maybe carpet or one of those flat top utility drawer bed inserts

Dakrt23

Reaction score
I haven't found any that i like for a mega cab they are all too narrow, so I'm considering going to an interior shop and having something whipped up custom that will fit the cab correctly and cover all the areas i want covered.

Marshfly

Reaction score
I haven't found any that i like for a mega cab they are all too narrow, so I'm considering going to an interior shop and having something whipped up custom that will fit the cab correctly and cover all the areas i want covered.

The one I referenced above is in my Megacab right now and fits fine. The only thing that isn’t quite right is how it is split since the seats fold forward instead of up but you could have that fixed by an interior shop way cheaper than a full custom cover.

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
We used a rubber-backed carpet runner that covered the length of the seat and hangs over the front for our Cairn Terrier. It doesn’t slide around and won’t leak through if there’s an accident. Worked out great for the 2500 mile trip to the Rockies and back last August.
You could do the same with the seat bottom folded up. We considered doing that for Toby but since he’s vertically challenged like his owners seat down worked better.
1B620678-D4C8-4866-9F8F-B83080A1D415.jpeg

ultrascott

Reaction score
I see yo have a tradesman, do you have the cover that goes over the under seat storage? Great dane owner here also!
I do not.do you have it? I couldn't find one when I was looking.any part number for it?

ultrascott

Reaction score
i do not. Was wondering if you put anything over the storage trays to keep the surface smooth for the dog(s).
I usually put a seat protector over the rear seat that goes across the floor then put his big bed pillow down for him to lay on.i might get a piece of wood and make me a cover if I can't find one.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I bought two of these from Amazon and like them very well. I use one in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and had the other in my Chevy 3500 High Country. Took it out the other day awaiting my ordered Ram 2500 Laramie. I'm 70 with dimming vision and loss of depth perception so I had to lose the 8 ft. box dually for something more parking lot friendly.
VIEWPETS Bench Car Seat Cover Protector - Waterproof, Heavy-Duty and Nonslip Pet Car Seat Cover for Dogs $35

Zrojas

Reaction score
I do not.do you have it? I couldn't find one when I was looking.any part number for it?
If you're talking about the fold flat floor, see the attached parts page. This is for crew cab 2500/3500 with black floors. If you need another color, let me know. View attachment Fold flat floor.pdf

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Distillusion

Reaction score
If you're talking about the fold flat floor, see the attached parts page. This is for crew cab 2500/3500 with black floors. If you need another color, let me know. View attachment 2652
These floors are really nice until they start to wear a bit. In mine, the internal floor pieces are some sort of stiffened sheet, probably a plastic. It's covered with a fabric that's something like a carpet. The hinge where it folds is just fabric, covering a gap between the two pieces. I've got a 55 lb Belgian Shepherd. He jumps in without a problem, and he lands pretty lightly as a general rule. But the fabric is slowly coming detached from the internal sheet. It's coming loose mostly along the hinge, which runs across the cab just under the front of the rear seats. And that's where he lands when he jumps into the truck. The result is that the thing is starting to droop at the hinge because the fabric isn't holding it up as well anymore.

I've toyed with the idea of cutting a slit in the side of the unit and injecting some adhesive between the internal sheet and the fabric to re-adhere it again. Other than that, I like it a lot. It takes a bit to vacuum the dog hair out of it, being that it's more carpet-like than a smoother fabric.

That floor is really nice for putting large boxes, groceries, and other things in the back of the cab, too. I really like it, wish it wasn't wearing out.

Marshfly

Reaction score
Why not just rivet a piano hinge in?

Users who are viewing this thread