Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Lockers

bht222u

Reaction score
I've ordered a 2021 2500 Laramie 4x4 w/Cummins.

I want to add a rear axle locker, what are some personal experiences with which type and brand of locker for an diesel HD.

Lary0071

Reaction score
I would go with a Eaton TruTrac instead of a locker. A TT is an amazing mechanical limited slip device that works extremely well. The only time it will fail you is if a tire on the axle is in the air, but your not rock crawling on Jeep trails, so that would not be a limitation. I run an Eaton E-Locker in the front and a Eaton TruTrac in the rea. It is unstoppable.

bht222u

Reaction score
I would go with a Eaton TruTrac instead of a locker. A TT is an amazing mechanical limited slip device that works extremely well. The only time it will fail you is if a tire on the axle is in the air, but your not rock crawling on Jeep trails, so that would not be a limitation. I run an Eaton E-Locker in the front and a Eaton TruTrac in the rea. It is unstoppable.
I had an occurrence in my 1500 4x4 with limited slip where both left tires were in a muddy ditch and the other side on a road and couldn't get enough traction to get out on my own.

I want to know both rears were turning should I find myself in a similar situation again.

renagade69

Reaction score
Learn to use the system below. It's built into the ram and in the Traction Control part of the manual.
  • Brake-lock differential system (BLDS): Allows the vehicle to maintain forward motion if one or two wheels lose traction by selectively and aggressively applying brakes to the spinning wheels

Last edited:

regal2800

Reaction score
Learn to use the system below. It's built into the ram and in the Traction Control part of the manual.
  • Brake-lock differential system (BLDS): Allows the vehicle to maintain forward motion if one or two wheels lose traction by selectively and aggressively applying brakes to the spinning wheels
where is that in the manual? i couldn't find anything on that feature.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It works ok but not as well as they make it sound, my 2014 jeep had it and it was not that good

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I had an occurrence in my 1500 4x4 with limited slip where both left tires were in a muddy ditch and the other side on a road and couldn't get enough traction to get out on my own.

I want to know both rears were turning should I find myself in a similar situation again.
With the factory anti spin axle it works well

Subduedracer

Reaction score
Hi Larry - Where did you buy your Eaton TruTrac for the rear? I called Nitro Gears and they told me that my rear isn't an 11.5 AAM. They said they pulled in a 2020 Ram 2500 and the rear LSD they have wouldn't fit.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Hi Larry - Where did you buy your Eaton TruTrac for the rear? I called Nitro Gears and they told me that my rear isn't an 11.5 AAM. They said they pulled in a 2020 Ram 2500 and the rear LSD they have wouldn't fit.
I run the TT in my 2014 Wrangler with Dynatrac ProRock axles and in my 2003 Cobra SVT. My truck doesn't have or need one since it's on paved roads only, but it does have a sadly lame factory limited slip.

Call Mark Petros at Greensburg Machine and Driveline and see if he knows more. In the north eastern USA, Mark is the guy that builds axles for drag racers, sled pullers, and off roaders who come in from states around. He would be who I called if I wanted to find something. I know that the factory one is junk compared to an aftermarket. Heck, I would go Auburn or some other aftermarket clutch style that actually worked if I had to.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Bobby Boca

Reaction score
I've ordered a 2021 2500 Laramie 4x4 w/Cummins.

I want to add a rear axle locker, what are some personal experiences with which type and brand of locker for an diesel HD.
I just bought a 2021 Laramie 4x4 Cummins midnight the truck was on the lot had basically everything I wanted but not anti slip diff I want to add it also did you install yours after market yet? From what I’m hearing is that there isn’t any after market lockers for 2021 2500 on the market yet .. let me know how you made of .

Gswain

Reaction score
good luck finding diff parts for 19+ diffs.
let us know when you do.
Isnt that only true of the 3500? I was under the impression that the 2500 still retains the aam 11.8 which is compatible with the 11.5 carriers, like ARB.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Isnt that only true of the 3500? I was under the impression that the 2500 still retains the aam 11.8 which is compatible with the 11.5 carriers, like ARB.
Nope no gears or anything fit. Will be a few years from what nitro people are saying.

el_barto

Reaction score
Yukon gear told me the 2019+ 11.5 Rear diff internals changed substantially (different pinion diameter, different carrier, different axle shaft diameter) so lockers and regear kits won’t fit

Users who are viewing this thread