Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear GAWR

RW308

Reaction score
Does anyone know why my rear GAWR is 6390 and not the standard 6000# ??

jadmt

Reaction score
mine says 6200lbs on the door sticker. is that where you are getting your number from?

CharlieL

Reaction score
Could be you have one of the trucks on the attached that show 6390 for rear. (yes its 2021 but should be same for 2022)

Attachments

• 2021 Towing Chart.pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 31

RW308

Reaction score
Could be you have one of the trucks on the attached that show 6390 for rear. (yes its 2021 but should be same for 2022)
I have a Laramie Crew cab 4X4 6'4" box, the closest one I see on the chart is the Tradesman 4X4 Crew 6'4" and it says 6000lb. I am just curious as to what makes the difference?

CharlieL

Reaction score
I have a Laramie Crew cab 4X4 6'4" box, the closest one I see on the chart is the Tradesman 4X4 Crew 6'4" and it says 6000lb. I am just curious as to what makes the difference?
Very good question. You’ve made me curious. I also have a 2022 Laramie 4x4 with 6.4 box, but it's diesel. Sticker for rear GAWR is 6,040.

Last edited:

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Mine is the same 6,390.
From what I’ve seen on the 2500 platform, the gassers have a higher rear GAWR than the diesel but the diesel has the higher rating for the front axle. It’s all a number game but to that point, anyway you slice it, the axles are rated well in excess of the 10k GVWR.

Last edited:

JC16

Reaction score
Hi Ram brotherZ,

I have a 2022 Ram 3500 DRW.
Anyone knows What is the front & rear GAWR please?
I know it’s not 6k (front) & 9,750 ( rear) according to door jam decal.
Can’t find nothing on the AAM manufacturer website.

Thx in advance!!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ram brotherZ,

I have a 2022 Ram 3500 DRW.
Anyone knows What is the front & rear GAWR please?
I know it’s not 6k (front) & 9,750 ( rear) according to door jam decal.
Can’t find nothing on the AAM manufacturer website.

Thx in advance!!

That’s exactly what it is.

The axles may be capable of more (rear is, front I’m not sure), but the GAWR’s are what the suspension, frame, axle are rated for as an assembled unit.

JC16

Reaction score

The axles may be capable of more (rear is, front I’m not sure), but the GAWR’s are what the suspension, frame, axle are rated for as an assembled unit.
Axles are rated for more than that, its rated @ 6k on front &

THX FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE!!
well, a lot of owner operator are saying the opposite since axles are rated for more than that.
Axles are rated at 6k (front) & 9,750lb (rear) because of the original piece of **** (tires & wheels 17’) that A new Ram comes with.
But if you have 19.5’wheel rated @ 5,000 lbs each and 19.5’ commercial grade rated @3,750 lbs each, is different game.

AAM have a disgusting website & can’t find my answer.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Axles are rated for more than that, its rated @ 6k on front &

THX FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE!!
well, a lot of owner operator are saying the opposite since axles are rated for more than that.
Axles are rated at 6k (front) & 9,750lb (rear) because of the original piece of **** (tires & wheels 17’) that A new Ram comes with.
But if you have 19.5’wheel rated @ 5,000 lbs each and 19.5’ commercial grade rated @3,750 lbs each, is different game.

AAM have a disgusting website & can’t find my answer.

It’s not a tire and wheel restriction.

A SRW truck has enough tire and wheel for at least a 7K rating , but the front is still only 6K. It’s the same axle/frame/suspension SRW vs DRW. The DRW adapters may reduce wheel bearing and ball joint life, but the axle can hold the same in either application.

A DRW has enough tire and wheel for a 11,340 rating, but it’s still rated at 9,750.

The original AAM 11.5” axle was rated at 10,912 lbs by AAM. I’m sure the new 12.0” housing is stronger, but I don’t know the specs.

Either way it’s immaterial, as the truck itself isn’t rated for more. The door sticker axle ratings are what you get on a DRW.

Last edited:

JC16

Reaction score
It’s not a tire and wheel restriction.

A SRW truck has enough tire and wheel for at least a 7K rating , but the front is still only 6K. It’s the same axle/frame/suspension SRW vs DRW. The DRW adapters may reduce wheel bearing and ball joint life, but the axle can hold the same in either application.

A DRW has enough tire and wheel for a 11,340 rating, but it’s still rated at 9,750.

The original AAM 11.5” axle was rated at 10,912 lbs by AAM. I sure the new 12.0” housing is stronger, but I don’t know the specs.

Either way it’s immaterial, as the truck itself isn’t rated for more. The door sticker axle ratings are what you get on a DRW.
I’ve seen a bunch of people re rating the axles as they run 19.5’ wheels and tires.
Anyway you could find the AAM specs on the front & rear? I will greatly appreciate it

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve seen a bunch of people re rating the axles as they run 19.5’ wheels and tires.
Anyway you could find the AAM specs on the front & rear? I will greatly appreciate it

Call AAM and ask. That’s what I did 15 years ago.

You can legally change your rating, but it takes a modification. Just putting 19.5’s on the truck isn’t enough on a DRW, since it’s pretty obvious the wheels and tires are not the limiting factor. The frame/suspension are why those ratings are there.

I changed my 05 3500 SRW to have a RAWR of 9K and a GVWR of 12K. That was based on suspension improvements, 19.5’s, and knowing that the same frame had an OEM GVWR rating of 12K and a max RAWR of 9,350 so I was within the max OEM specs but well above SRW ratings.

I wouldn’t upgrade the FAWR/RAWR on a DRW pickup, based on knowing what the truck as a whole is built for. If you need more then a it’s C&C time.

There are several 3500 frames that have bent/broken from overloading with big campers. The axles likely weren’t bothered, or overloaded but the rest of the truck was.

JC16

Reaction score
Call AAM and ask. That’s what I did 15 years ago.

You can legally change your rating, but it takes a modification. Just putting 19.5’s on the truck isn’t enough on a DRW, since it’s pretty obvious the wheels and tires are not the limiting factor. The frame/suspension are why those ratings are there.

I changed my 05 3500 SRW to have a RAWR of 9K and a GVWR of 12K. That was based on suspension improvements, 19.5’s, and knowing that the same frame had an OEM GVWR rating of 12K and a max RAWR of 9,350 so I was within the max OEM specs but well above SRW ratings.

I wouldn’t upgrade the FAWR/RAWR on a DRW pickup, based on knowing what the truck as a whole is built for. If you need more then a it’s C&C time.

There are several 3500 frames that have bent/broken from overloading with big campers. The axles likely weren’t bothered, or overloaded but the rest of the truck was.
So frame & suspension has to be upgraded as well is that what you are saying?

406Linetrash

Reaction score
So frame & suspension has to be upgraded as well is that what you are saying?
He’s saying you’re SOL. Time to get a bigger truck.

He upgraded his, after suspension upgrades, etc and knowing the frame was rated for more. ie. his was an srw using the same frame as a drw which is rated for more. So he knew he had it in there.

You have a drw. Already at the max rating for the frame. You’ll need to step up to a c&c.

Users who are viewing this thread