Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear end difference, diesel versus gas

miles

Reaction score
Is there a difference on the 2500 rear differential between the diesel and the 6.4 gas.
Also can anyone answer how much torque the 8 speed transmission can handle.

CurtJ

Reaction score
I would like to say there is a difference in the rears as the standard diesel puts out 850 ft lbs. torque with a 6 sped.as the 8sp is not available on the CTD. The 6.4 HEMI puts out 410 ft lbs I believe and I think the 5.7 HEMI with e-torque can put out like 545 ft lbs if needed? Both of those have the 8sp.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
AFAIK, all the 2019+ models use a new 14 bolt diff with different gear sets.

I don't know what ring gear sets are in each, I believe 11.8 for all non HO.

The AAM still uses the Eaton (TracRite GT) anti-spin diff except of course, the Power Wagon with TracRite GTL locking diffs.

The 3500 SRW and DRW HO both have the 12" AAM which has a larger axle tube.

Last edited:

miles

Reaction score
I asked the question because I’m thinking of putting a ProCharger in the new 2500 6.4 for some extra HP & TQ. I will keep it to set to use pump gas. I’m thinking only 5.5 lbs of boost.
I don’t want to blow up the rear end or transmission if I do this.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I did a little more digging around and the big question right now everyone is struggling with is, what LSD is currently used in the 2020 models. Seems there may have been a change and nobody currently knows what's really under the covers besides ring gear sizes.

trdt44

Reaction score
AFAIK, all the 2019+ models use a new 14 bolt diff with different gear sets.

I don't know what ring gear sets are in each, I believe 11.8 for all non HO.

The AAM still uses the Eaton (TracRite GT) anti-spin diff except of course, the Power Wagon with TracRite GTL locking diffs.

The 3500 SRW and DRW HO both have the 12" AAM which has a larger axle tube.

FWIW my '19 Power Wagon still has the same 11.5" rear axle as previous years. I changed the diff fluid and the gasket part number is the same (40005967) as previous years. It sounds like all other 2500s got the updated rear end. I have also heard they might be coming with a 34 spline pinion.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I asked the question because I’m thinking of putting a ProCharger in the new 2500 6.4 for some extra HP & TQ. I will keep it to set to use pump gas. I’m thinking only 5.5 lbs of boost.
I don’t want to blow up the rear end or transmission if I do this.

you should be getting a trans tune with the ecm tune that comes with the pc. that will go along way with trans life.

Users who are viewing this thread