Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REAR DIFF COVER??

RAM Stag

Reaction score
I am going to change the rear diff oil and want to install a new cover with additional capacity & cooling fins. Any suggestions on a good strong unit? Would like to have top fill and bottom drain. I tow a 30' camper weighing about 6500 - 6700 pounds.

jadmt

Reaction score
Does not add cooling fins or extra capacity but it is stout and easy to fill not so easy to drain tho as the drain plug is a poor designed tapered pipe plug that makes it easier to just remove the cover.74E48948-F6FD-49C9-B0AB-D1990378FD61.jpeg

RAM Stag

Reaction score
Thanks Brutal_HO & jadmt - I will look into AEV. Also found Mag-Hytech, and Banks too even though I don't have a diesel.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Banks makes a nice cover eventually ill be getting it

RAM Stag

Reaction score
Banks makes a nice cover eventually ill be getting it
Yeah I saw a video of a guy installing one on his Ram diesel. Looks well thought out and sturdy - just didn't know if they made one for a non-diesel truck. I am defanitely going to check into it. Thanks for the reply - have a great weekend!!

RAM Stag

Reaction score
Unpopular opinion: you don’t need additional capacity or cooling if you’re using the truck within its specified capacities.

Aftermarket diff armor to protect against bashing them on rocks is a different story
Yes very true, especially since I am only towing about half the tow rating once a month or so. I am also looking for convenience doing the fluid changes, which is why I would like a top fill and bottom drain so I don't have to remove the cover every time. I just figured if I am going to change the cover may as well get a better one and have the additional insurance of added capacity and cooling.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The fins look great but barely drop the fluid temperature. And even if it did...does it matter?

These systems are engineered to operate with different loads under a wide variety of circumstances. Banks puts together a nice video although when I watched it I do not remember there being any earth shattering information related to lowering the temperature of the differential fluid and how it significantly extends the life. My suggestion is that if you are truly concerned about extending the life of your drivetrain, visit your local dealer every 60k miles and have your transmission, transfer case, and front and rear differentials serviced for around $1k.

Nice video though...

He's a great salesman for the average truck buyer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
How about we set up an HDRam GoFundMe so a handful of us can meet in Vegas to design the ultimate low temperature rear differential cover?

Maybe start off with a ram air system with giant Hemi ducts on each side of the bed with huge NASCAR flexible brake ducts dumping the air on the diff? That will keep things cool!

It would just squeak or tick.

RAM Stag

Reaction score
G
The fins look great but barely drop the fluid temperature. And even if it did...does it matter?

These systems are engineered to operate with different loads under a wide variety of circumstances. Banks puts together a nice video although when I watched it I do not remember there being any earth shattering information related to lowering the temperature of the differential fluid and how it significantly extends the life. My suggestion is that if you are truly concerned about extending the life of your drivetrain, visit your local dealer every 60k miles and have your transmission, transfer case, and front and rear differentials serviced for around $1k.

Nice video though...

Good video thanks for the info. They did show the temps lowered pretty well near the end when they did the tow test and hill climb. My biggest thing is not shelling out 1K every 60K miles or so and the ease of draining/filling. However, I don't tow 15K lbs, and when I do tow it is usually only about once a month around 6700 lbs., so I might just stick with the stock cover and go with a higher quality lubricant.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@60K my 04.5 rear diff R&P with factory cover still looked like new. Factory fill and at 30K, Amsoil 75W-110 at 60K.

Truck was rated to tow 13K, I was pulling 16K the last 2 years when I sold it.

If you tow near max, may want to put 75W-110 in it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
…beef at Texas de Brazil

Joe Gibbs Toyotas used until recently maybe, Ford 9” …no cover at all

Is that the one in Town Square across from Bonefish? I eat at Bonefish all the time when I go out there for work. Haven't been into the Texas de Brazil there as I'm usually a loner.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Is that the one in Town Square across from Bonefish? I eat at Bonefish all the time when I go out there for work. Haven't been into the Texas de Brazil there as I'm usually a loner.

Yeah…it’s awesome, about the only restaurant I will drive across town for.

RAM Stag

Reaction score
@60K my 04.5 rear diff R&P with factory cover still looked like new. Factory fill and at 30K, Amsoil 75W-110 at 60K.

Truck was rated to tow 13K, I was pulling 16K the last 2 years when I sold it.

If you tow near max, may want to put 75W-110 in it.
Pulling just a tick over 1/2 tow rating.

Users who are viewing this thread