Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear cupholder filler

el_barto

Reaction score
What are some solutions for “filling” the rear cupholders when using the fold flat floor so it’s a solid surface for dogs? I keep a thick blanket across it now, and his bed on road trips, but it’s still a “soft spot”...would hate for my dog to roll his ankle or something.

ive thought about making something out of wood, or maybe PVC pipe caps would fit. I have seen a 3D printed insert somewhere but can’t find any pictures.FE904F1F-617B-4A8D-936C-636830A07E71.jpeg

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
What I can't understand, is why did they put 6 cup holders back there?
2 in the floor. 2 in the fold down center rest. 2 in the back of the center console.

What were they thinking? Or were they??

naplesbill

Reaction score
2 in the floor. 2 in the fold down center rest. 2 in the back of the center console.

I believe the floor one is a carryover from years past and the others have been added over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score

Engineers: If you have three people in the back you lose the fold-down one. Then you only have 4 -- so one extra. However, the center person probably won't be wanting anyone reaching between their legs so they would be the only one using the middle floor ones so it becomes essentially just one usable cup holder unless they are double fisting.

Do all trucks have the fold-down middle arm rest?

el_barto

Reaction score
Why not use some really thick foam that works like an insert?

That might work...not sure where I’d get such foam though that’s dense enough but easy to cut?

naplesbill

Reaction score
That might work...not sure where I’d get such foam though that’s dense enough but easy to cut?

I would think either a fabric store or an arts and crafts kind of store would have decent foam. Have not bought any recently though. Maybe Amazon?

jeffn

Reaction score

Marketing. Haven’t you seen the advertisements focused on cupholder count? Ford and Chevy are playing catchup on cupholders and RAM is running with it. I heard a rumor they are putting 4 more cupholders in the 2022 models… 1 in each sideview mirror, another on the steering wheel, and a 4th in the existing cupholder. A double cupholder. That is savage.

Metternacht

Reaction score
You can try Kaizen foam. Good firm foam easy to shape and cut. Available on Amazon and elsewhere.

snikwah_30

Reaction score
I always just stuff an old shirt down in mine to keep the dogs from getting stuck in the cup holders. It's dense enough for them to stand on.

Also, there is a bracket where the 60 and 40 parts of the seat meet on the floor that I now stuff another old shirt in. One of the dogs got his foot stuck there somehow and twisted it. Made the worst screaming sound ever and broke a claw.

Gazoo

Reaction score
Two tennis balls, camp foam and moving blanket. Protects leather trim seats. Still have access to seat belt for two dogs. Replaced all mats with weathertech. (Ever had to get hair out of carpet?)

Attachments

• 6208F600-25C9-4BB4-9B4F-D2ACFCCA4528.jpeg
    6208F600-25C9-4BB4-9B4F-D2ACFCCA4528.jpeg
    643.6 KB · Views: 41
  • B1E17D7E-1603-4ED4-9313-2AE701FDA529.jpeg
    B1E17D7E-1603-4ED4-9313-2AE701FDA529.jpeg
    813.5 KB · Views: 41

Razzman

Reaction score
Been using one of these for four years now. Dogs are constrained and safe, they feel secure and no hair or damage to the interior. Huge win for us as one of them would go ballistic every time he saw someone, no more of that.
Walky Tunnel Pet Travel Tube

Greenhills

Reaction score
Nice idea for everyone that owns 1/4 of a dog :D

I filled mine with a cut out from hard Styrofoam board, then use a 2.5" memory foam mattress topper over top of the fold flat floor, blanket over that.

I also use a pet back seat cover to keep fur off the bottom of the seats when folded up, i just tuck the extra under the seat.

Users who are viewing this thread