Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear anti spin

chas0218

Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of anti spin is in the rear with the snocheif package? I ask because i was backing my trailer uphill in our driveway and the rear right started to spin but the rear left didnt engage. Granted i wasn't going fast or hammering on the throttle but wondering if someone could shed some light. Is it a LSD, mechanical locker, or one of those brake applied deals? If it's the latter of the 2 I'm putting in a locker.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
All 2500s except the Power Wagon have a clutch pack style LSD.
The Power Wagon gets the torrison gear style.

The1adman

Reaction score
The clutch style in the 19+ trucks sucks compared to the torrison in 18 and earlier. My 21 3500 limited slip is like having nothing compared to my 2017.

JimKIII

Reaction score
And the reason the 19+ have the clutch style instead of the better torrison is what? They're cheaper?

Gkockrow

Reaction score
How is tested? Set up from factory? I assume it was done right. My 2022 seams to struggle sometimes, 2017 was better

Redfour5

Reaction score
The new "Rebel" supposedly has the Power Wagon type of rear end and you can get it for like another 17K and change over a "normal" 2500.

Redfour5

Reaction score
All 2500s except the Power Wagon have a clutch pack style LSD.
The Power Wagon gets the torrison gear style.
The New Rebel has a rear locker NOT LSD. That is one of its distinguishing feature, the rest is just pretty much a regular off road package. For the gas version, the "optional" winch is another distinguishing element. Full camera's and the new tow mirrors (yes all 2023's get them) are nice if you like Hemi's. Could be the last year for the Hemi also with the Hurricane rolling out, so food for thought there for certain people who want a unique classic... But it's also around 20K more than a relatively well set up Big Horn... I'm not seeing 20K worth of difference...

Redfour5

Reaction score
I guess I should have asked, are the 2022 HD Ram clutches set up properly in your opinion?
I think it depends upon your expectations to a degree. I had a 2013 1500 without LSD and the difference between that and my 2015 and 2021 with LSD was night and day. Living up a road on a slight incline was where I noticed it most with the traction going back and forth particularly at the mail boxes for the neighborhood. That area got "polished" in terms of ice/snow and in the 13 I had to put it in 4WD and back up a few feet to get it moving once I stopped for mail. The 2021 had the "auto" 4WD setting and I pretty much just kept it on over the winter in city streets. The 2015 didn't have the "auto" setting but did just fine most of the time. On MT roads winter, they don't really plow them down to pavement. It's usually down to about two inches of snow and eventually with no more snow, you get the tire tracks down to pavement if no snow falls for a week or so. But they don't use salt either, just some sand at intersections bad turns etc. The auto 4WD was nice for that. The LSD just shifted back and forth and you could could feel the LSD shifting to the wheel with traction and back over. Let you know that it was all working.

So, for my purposes it was set up fine and for like a 1500 the one with auto 4WD for my purposes was about the best. I know others with other after market versions or a locker will differ. But for like 95 bucks OEM, vs whatever they paid, I'm good. For example, the new 2023 Rebel will have a locker in the back. But do you have to hit that every time at the mail box with no LSD? The locker is great for Moab, I have to wonder at my mail box... With the new 2500 (no auto 4WD) but with LSD, so far it does great as we already got about 12 inches of snow last weekend. In addition the added weight of a 2500, I believe helps somewhat. The LSD I am not really feeling, but no problem getting up the hill.

jenninr

Reaction score
The New Rebel has a rear locker NOT LSD. That is one of its distinguishing feature, the rest is just pretty much a regular off road package. For the gas version, the "optional" winch is another distinguishing element. Full camera's and the new tow mirrors (yes all 2023's get them) are nice if you like Hemi's. Could be the last year for the Hemi also with the Hurricane rolling out, so food for thought there for certain people who want a unique classic... But it's also around 20K more than a relatively well set up Big Horn... I'm not seeing 20K worth of difference...
The locker that is in the Power Wagon and Rebel is also a torsion limited slip when the electronic locker is not activated.

JimKIII

Reaction score
I think it depends upon your expectations to a degree. I had a 2013 1500 without LSD and the difference between that and my 2015 and 2021 with LSD was night and day. Living up a road on a slight incline was where I noticed it most with the traction going back and forth particularly at the mail boxes for the neighborhood. That area got "polished" in terms of ice/snow and in the 13 I had to put it in 4WD and back up a few feet to get it moving once I stopped for mail. The 2021 had the "auto" 4WD setting and I pretty much just kept it on over the winter in city streets. The 2015 didn't have the "auto" setting but did just fine most of the time. On MT roads winter, they don't really plow them down to pavement. It's usually down to about two inches of snow and eventually with no more snow, you get the tire tracks down to pavement if no snow falls for a week or so. But they don't use salt either, just some sand at intersections bad turns etc. The auto 4WD was nice for that. The LSD just shifted back and forth and you could could feel the LSD shifting to the wheel with traction and back over. Let you know that it was all working.

So, for my purposes it was set up fine and for like a 1500 the one with auto 4WD for my purposes was about the best. I know others with other after market versions or a locker will differ. But for like 95 bucks OEM, vs whatever they paid, I'm good. For example, the new 2023 Rebel will have a locker in the back. But do you have to hit that every time at the mail box with no LSD? The locker is great for Moab, I have to wonder at my mail box... With the new 2500 (no auto 4WD) but with LSD, so far it does great as we already got about 12 inches of snow last weekend. In addition the added weight of a 2500, I believe helps somewhat. The LSD I am not really feeling, but no problem getting up the hill.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Cheers.

The1adman

Reaction score
The pre 2019 trucks were similar to the Eaton TruTrac. The 2019 plus are clutch style limited slips. There is no comparison in traction provided between the two styles. My 2017 worked very well, my 2021 is nearly undetectable. I have not doubt cost was a huge deciding factor.

chas0218

Reaction score
The pre 2019 trucks were similar to the Eaton TruTrac. The 2019 plus are clutch style limited slips. There is no comparison in traction provided between the two styles. My 2017 worked very well, my 2021 is nearly undetectable. I have not doubt cost was a huge deciding factor.
Exactly, being a $150 option i think i could've gone without but time will tell. Do you know if it is speed sensitive?

Pearce

Reaction score
I had one in my 2016 and every single right hand turn it would activate. Worse when towing. So I decided not to get it on my 2022. Also didn't realize they changed styles. So far don't miss it however, I'm a "rock crawler" and would prefer a selectable locker at some point. The only time I see dirt roads is trying to get to an off road park camp site where I need 4 low to pull truck and trailer up the hill. That's where I want the selectable locker.

I just realized, haven't been to the boat ramp yet with the new truck. Might miss the limited slip there hahaha. Still have 4x4

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Not a ton of miles on my ‘22 yet, but lots of snow and ice. So far it appears to work the about the same as my ‘18, which is better than my ‘05 did. (05 and 18 “should” have been the same).

Time will tell, I generally despise clutch-style LSD’s but this one has been good so far, even on off camber slick roads where clutch styles are know for kicking the rear end sideways.

el_barto

Reaction score
The New Rebel has a rear locker NOT LSD. That is one of its distinguishing feature, the rest is just pretty much a regular off road package.
I would expect the rebel has the same rear axle unit as the power wagon, which is helical gear lsd “normally” with selectable e-locker

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I have 4.10s in my NON power wagon Ram 2500. I wonder if a power wagon rear axle could be swapped in to my truck?

el_barto

Reaction score
I have 4.10s in my NON power wagon Ram 2500. I wonder if a power wagon rear axle could be swapped in to my truck?
Yes, I think it is relatively bolt in. but.
You will need to figure out how wire the locker in manually (using aux switches). And it won’t be cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread