Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear air suspension worth it on a 3500 or no?

RamGuy84

Reaction score
Mine is due in soon, but there is another one exactly like mine that I ordered, except it has the auto leveling rear air suspension.

Is this worth it to have in a state like MN with harsh winters? My 2018 Ram 3500 squats 2” with my trailer and with my new one I’d like to get it leveled with bigger rims and tires so I’m debating if the extra $$$ is worth it or not. Thoughts?

Zinga

Reaction score
If the new one squats, could you park it with some 2x's under the rear tires? 2x's are cheap.

Phil T

Reaction score
Our new 3500 has the auto level. We ordered the truck with exactly the things we wanted and didn't. I think the auto level is amazing. If you are paying that much for a truck, why not have all the bells and whistles.

HomelessBound

Reaction score
I test drove both air and the leaf 3500. Air rode better empty for sure - don't know about towing. The leveling suspension helps keep from blinding drivers at night as well when you are loaded/towing.

Zinga

Reaction score
...The leveling suspension helps keep from blinding drivers at night as well when you are loaded/towing.
I've read this comment many times on the Ram/Dodge forums. Why are the Ram trucks built with weak rear suspensions? When I load up my Ford F350, the headlights point just a little further down the road. All I hear about are how the Ram's headlights end up pointing in the air when someone hooks up anything. Or, is this just because there are so many Ram owners that are obsessive about leveling their trucks, that most end up screwing up the ride height when towing?

D

Deleted member 80

All three of my Dodges have carried a load better than any pissant Ferd I have owned.

HomelessBound

Reaction score
You might think your ford is doing well - but it probably is not. If you go near any campground in a car, pretty much all trucks from all brands will squat with a fifth wheel or good sized travel trailer enough to blind a cars. all it takes is a degree or two from empty to start blinding people. Either that, or you drive around unloaded with headlights that are aimed into the dirt. This will be my first Dodge/RAM/FCA/whoever they are these days so no brand loyalty involved.

Last edited:

Heckyl

Reaction score
I've read this comment many times on the Ram/Dodge forums. Why are the Ram trucks built with weak rear suspensions? When I load up my Ford F350, the headlights point just a little further down the road. All I hear about are how the Ram's headlights end up pointing in the air when someone hooks up anything. Or, is this just because there are so many Ram owners that are obsessive about leveling their trucks, that most end up screwing up the ride height when towing?

I have owned a Ford 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pickup and many Dodge / Ram 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. I have worked, hauled and pulled with all of them. I’m not sure you know what your talking about when you ask why Ram trucks are built with weak rear suspensions. What experience do you have with working, hauling and towing with both Fords and Dodges/ Rams?
From my experience, the Dodges and Ram that I have worked have done better than my past Fords as far as handling heavy loads as far as rear sag and over all performance. BTW there are lots of folks driving Fords ( and all other truck brands ) that like to level their trucks, I see it everyday driving down the road. Not sure why you like to bash Dodges and Rams, but why not try to gain some personal experience and formulate and educated decision about something before you bless us with your wisdom.

HomelessBound

Reaction score
Seems ford is the one that has the level kit lust...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 2.29.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 2.29.17 PM.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 2.29.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 2.29.35 PM.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 2.29.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 2.29.51 PM.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 25

Zinga

Reaction score
Geez. Get a grip. My question was based on what other Ram owners have stated about Ram trucks squatting, over and over, in a lot of Ram threads. See post #4, 3rd sentence in this thread.

So, I asked why.
1. Is it because owner's are leveling trucks, which causes them to not be level when loaded?
2. Is it because the Ram trucks squat more than the others?

Which is it?

I think many of the Ram owners are obsessive about leveling trucks. LOL. So much so, the manufacture offers an auto-level option.

Regarding the headlights blinding drivers, if the truck's headlamps are adjusted correctly, the lights won't blind other drivers when loaded. The manufactures are bound by law and I highly doubt new trucks are sold that break the law. But, I bet many truck owners obsessed with leveling their truck have their lamps point skyhigh once they put a load in it. For example, here's a Ram truck with a boat hooked up to it. 500 lbs and it's not level. But, it has a 2" leveling kit added (it's in his sig).

Does the above truck have a headlamp problem? Don't know. Maybe the owner adjusted them.

I haven't modified either of my trucks (Ford and Ram) and the lights are adjusted correctly. The Ford doesn't blind drivers when it's loaded, and I've had 5000 lbs in the bed. I doubt the new 3500 Ram will be any different.

BTW, I've seen many yahoo drivers that pull into camps with their high beams on. They're blinding people because of the high beams. That's not the truck's fault. It's the stupid driver.

Heckyl

Reaction score
Ok sorry, got my grip back.
As far as the answers to your questions:
1. Yes
2. No

If your truck is leveled, when you add a load, then the front will be higher than the back and you will have handling isssues, light issues, etc. It can get unsafe.
I don’t think Dodges / Rams squat more than other brands when loaded. However I have no experience with the Ram air suspension so my opinion is only based on non air suspensions.
I cannot speak for owners of leveled trucks ( never had one ), but I would bet if they aren’t worried about the handling and safety issues of loading a leveled truck, then they aren’t worried about the headlights.

Heckyl

Reaction score
As far as the comment on Ram owners being obsessed with leveling their trucks, so much so that Ram offers an auto level system:
Please keep in mind that you are talking about trucks being level while Unloaded ( leveling kits ) and comparing those trucks to trucks being leveled by an air system developed by Ram to maximize weight handling, and safety. The Ram air system is not for leveling the truck while empty, it is for leveling the truck at any weight up to its max carrying capacity. Ram is obsessed with capability along with safety. This is in fact why the non air suspension trucks have a generous amount of rake, so under max weight hauling conditions the truck will sit close to level.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
The 3500 I drove with the auto leveling system, did ride smooth and I kind of like the sounds of the bags....sounds like semi truck air brakes! lol.

I'm planning to install a leveling kit in mine, so I suppose there is a way to raise the rear end with the bags in it. Doesn't sound cheap though.

Daybreak

Reaction score
Howdy,
OK, your dealing with static weight trailers.
Try a livestock trailer with cows. That situation is a variable whenever they move forward or back. My Dodge has never squatted like the fords around here.

I am liking the Ram self leveling air system.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
The 3500 I drove with the auto leveling system, did ride smooth and I kind of like the sounds of the bags....sounds like semi truck air brakes! lol.

I'm planning to install a leveling kit in mine, so I suppose there is a way to raise the rear end with the bags in it. Doesn't sound cheap though.
Well here’s my thoughts. Have a 2019 2500 with air suspension and hit bad bump and blew air bags. Test drove 3500 SWB With and without air ride and definitely ordered the 3500 WITH air ride. Rode so much better without any load and can only assume will ride just as well with the load. Ordered 7/18 and went into D1 status today finally. Was told it’s scheduled to be built on 8/7. Wasn’t told anything that specific on my 2500 when it was ordered.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
My 4th gen 3500 rides so terrible, I’m nervous I’m going to hate this new 2019 for the same reason.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
Yes the 18 is a 3500 as well.

I would take a 17-19 superduty over a 4th gen Ram anyday, that’s why I hope getting a 19 3500 is the right choice. I just don’t get the full driving experience in it just doing test drives.

Users who are viewing this thread