Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-aligning rear track bar

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So... as you intrepid readers may recall, I snapped one of the track bar mounting bolts.
While waiting for the parts to arrive, I went ahead and put the front/rear up on jack stands to do the shocks and start working on the front.

Well the bolts arrived and crawled under the truck to throw the bolt through the passenger side eye... well, apparently while getting it up on jacks the truck shifted enough that I cannot get the bolt through the eye (everything lined up perfectly before I put it up on stands). I'm figuring a pry bar and some jiggling/rocking (probably safer to get it back on the ground before I start jiggling/rocking) would work to get it back in place?

Any other suggestions/recommendations to fix my dumb?

1675345081588.png

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
X3 on the ratchet strap also a small bottle jack or scissor jack between the axle and frame to tilt the truck one side or another slightly works. Pry bar is always handy for small movements while you’re under it

Just for a nugget of info on the front if you ever have to align the trackbar bolt on a front axle, have someone move the wheel back or forth a little it will shift the axle side to side. Have them hold it in place when it’s aligned

jadmt

Reaction score
have a couple of guys push on the side of your truck is the easiest way. Just tell them to push in a place that won't dent. bumper top of the box etc.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Thanks.. didn't think it would be a horrible problem to fix, just more annoyed with myself that I didn't go ahead and throw the old bolt through to hold it in place while I messed with the other components
Took off the heat shield for ease of access (and I may cut it down while it is off as it seems overly large).

Appreciate the suggestion on unbolting the sway bar from that side.

So truck needs to move to the right (white arrow)... so I'm thinking strap over the rail on the driver's side and then 'somewhere' on the passenger side axle?
I have the scissor jack and a floor jack as well for lifting one side or another of the axle.

I'd rather it pull straight across, but not seeing any other place to attach... thoughts/suggestions?

328936740_503187385077969_2090365820611657917_n.jpg

jadmt

Reaction score
I have done maybe 20 rear track bars on solid axle vehicles (including installing a thuren set up on my buddy's 2020. I used to always do it the hard way until one about 10 years ago I was struggling to get a bolt in and my buddy leaned on the side of my jeep to ask me what I was doing and the hole lined right up :) if you are solo get a 4x4 and jack and jack up the passenger side frame and it will lengthen the distance of the hole in the mount. going by memory we bolted up the frame side first and then did the axle side

Users who are viewing this thread