Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RDS Aux Tank Install w/ Fuel Polishing System | Commercial Aux Switches Pin/Programming

Reaction score
I figured out the Dealers will never be able to diagnose the code issues I had because all three I went to, were unable to duplicate the fuel flow problems I had because I was towing a 12K# Tiny Home which is like pulling a Parachute down the highway. Another friend of mine who was having the same issues when towing her horse trailer from Northwestern climates, was also having similar issues... wel she stopped by the shop and we have since fixed the problem with her 2020 RAM 3500 Longhorn HO.

The fuel systems on our trucks are so sensitive to fuel impurities, such that the fuel has to be constantly "polished" to make sure there is no debris, no dirt and when the High Pressure Pump pulls harder than the rear filter can offer a fresh stream of clean fuel causing air bubbles, it becomes an issue. Certainly you can install a FASS or whatever system you wish to increase pressure and add filters, but if keeping your warranty is a priority by only providing clean fuel, this is a proven option.

The simple remedy that offers a bonus is a Fuel Polishing System. I have a very similar system on our 52' Sunseeker Predator Yacht that cleans the fuel I buy in remote places like the Bahamas. A simple series of filters and a pump make sure the fuel is constantly recirculated through additional filters before going both to the OEM Truck tank and back into the Aux Tank. Watch the video below for a full explanation of the RDS Tank Install utilizing the Aux Switches to control the system.

I also want to note, I do not use the RDS 1.75" installation kit for the late-model RAM trucks as their design is for you to CUT the aluminum fill tube. I feel this would give the dealer cause to void your warranty due to their perception of modifications. I also feel the 1.5" rubber hose is a far easier way to do this and cheaper alternative should you ever wish to return your vehicle to STOCK to resell. The Earlier RAM, Ford, GM kit as listed in the video description is 1.5" and does not require any removal of the fuel fill tube for installation. You will have to on SRW trucks, remove the screws that hold it to the bed to move it enough to gain access. BE SURE TO USE PIPE SEALANT ON THE CHECK-VALVE BRASS FITTING TO THE ALUMINUM TEE. These are NOT tightened, nor perfectly sealed from RDS. The hose needs to point upward if you are simply installing the tank with a gravity feed for the check-ball to work properly and stop the flow of fuel when the tank is full. Not doing this will let fuel to continue to flow and cause a spill.

Leave a comment here or on the video... subscribe to see the newest updates.

Users who are viewing this thread