Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattle under truck over bumps

Marshfly

Reaction score
I have a consistent rattle from under the truck when I go over bumps. It happens at slow speed pulling out of my driveway regardless of whether the front or rear wheels hit a bump. It's driving me crazy with less than 4000 miles on the truck. Has anyone had this and figured out whats loose?

Allrider

Reaction score
It sounds like it is probably the sway bar end mounts being loose. If they are just a small amount loose, they will make noise.

Marshfly

Reaction score
Anyone know the torque specs on those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi @Marshfly,

We're sorry to hear that you have a rattle on your new truck. We recommend visiting your Ram dealer for a diagnosis. If you would like additional support while in service, please send our team a private message. We are happy to help.

Darlene
Ram Cares

Marshfly

Reaction score
It sounds like it is probably the sway bar end mounts being loose. If they are just a small amount loose, they will make noise.

They were tight as can be. I even loosened them and re-centered the joints to assure that they weren't rattling being off center. Zero change.

I guess it's going to the dealer for rattles at 400 miles. That is not at all confidence inspiring.

Allrider

Reaction score
They were tight as can be. I even loosened them and re-centered the joints to assure that they weren't rattling being off center. Zero change.

I guess it's going to the dealer for rattles at 400 miles. That is not at all confidence inspiring.
You checked both ends?

Attachments

• 20191112_165859.jpg
    20191112_165859.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 59

Marshfly

Reaction score
Unfortunately yes. Both very tight.

Marshfly

Reaction score
Did you hold the stud while trying to tighten the nut? That step is crucial.

Yes. 8mm wrench on the stud. 19mm wrench on the nut. My appt is Monday. May just disconnect it totally and take a drive over the weekend to rule it out. But I have the same noise when the rear wheels hit bumps too. I can stop with a bump between the wheels and it clunks when the rear goes over it. Something is definitely loose.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Hope your dealer figures it out for you and post back the results good or bad. Sometimes info here is better than what some dealers come up with.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Any chance you have access to a GoPro? If so you could stick that underneath and take some vids to help pinpoint the sound.

I’m all for letting the dealer take care of things under warranty, but if I can avoid a trip and several hours (or days) of them having my vehicle by tightening a loose bolt then I'm going to do that. Since you checked the sway bar bolts you obviously feel the same.

Last edited:

Marshfly

Reaction score
Hope your dealer figures it out for you and post back the results good or bad. Sometimes info here is better than what some dealers come up with.

Exactly. I did install a set of Thuren coils and shocks about two weeks ago. But I’ve rechecked the torque on everything multiple times since then. Hopefully they’ll figure it out.

I think I’m going to jack the truck up this weekend and take a good look at everything. Maybe the coils aren’t seated correctly or something.

Marshfly

Reaction score
Called Thuren. I was told to reinstall the factory shocks and see if that fixes it. I'll report back.

dwjez14

Reaction score
I had same issue. Turns out it was my spare tire actually loose. I had never touched it I guess factory didn’t tighten it. Drove me crazy I finally figured it out after about 6000 miles

Marshfly

Reaction score
Hey marshfly what was outcome??

Something came up and I missed the service appointment. I’ve kind of been ignoring it. I have 4000 miles on the truck now.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Have some sound to my clicking from back seat.

Audio isnt the best and it sounds different in person but you get the idea..

amberparkertx

Reaction score
Have some sound to my clicking from back seat.

Audio isnt the best and it sounds different in person but you get the idea..

I have a similar problem, but mine sounds like it comes from the front end. Noticed it in the test drive, salesman heard it, as well as several techs - no solution yet...truck had 127 miles at the time of the test drive and 554 now. I am currently at the dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread